Rival Watch

17149 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2020 13:24

Simmops
Snowflake Royal Still want to see WBA go up. Brentford can win the POs, be better than finishing 2nd anyway.

But there is a 75% chance they won't win the playoffs. Looks like that scum team Stoke are about to ruin everything anyway :evil: :evil: :evil:

That's not how probability works.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jul 2020 13:34

Snowflake Royal
Simmops
Snowflake Royal Still want to see WBA go up. Brentford can win the POs, be better than finishing 2nd anyway.

But there is a 75% chance they won't win the playoffs. Looks like that scum team Stoke are about to ruin everything anyway :evil: :evil: :evil:

Well it is. There are 4 teams in the playoffs so at the start before they play, they all start with a 25% chance of winning the final.

I'm the semi final they have a 50% chance of winning that game and in the final another 50%.

What bit have I got wrong?

Surely if there is a 25% they will win and 3 other teams have the same then they have 75% of not winning.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2020 13:36

Simmops
Snowflake Royal
Simmops

Well it is. There are 4 teams in the playoffs so at the start before they play, they all start with a 25% chance of winning the final.

I'm the semi final they have a 50% chance of winning that game and in the final another 50%.

Surely if there is a 25% they will win and 3 other teams have the same then they have 75% of not winning.

Football isn't a 50/50 coin flip for outcomes. The teams are not all equal and some have a better chance of winning than others.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jul 2020 13:41

Snowflake Royal
Simmops
Snowflake Royal That's not how probability works.

Football isn't a 50/50 coin flip for outcomes. The teams are not all equal and some have a better chance of winning than others.

But surely before anything has kicked off in the play-offs, on paper regardless of who has the better left wing back, or which team has more possession in the 18th minute of every away game this season, there are 4 teams in the playoffs and only 1 can go through and win. So they each have an equal 25% chance of winning.

That is how probabilities work I thought.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2020 13:47

Simmops
Snowflake Royal
Simmops

But surely before anything has kicked off in the play-offs, on paper regardless of who has the better left wing back, or which team has more possession in the 18th minute of every away game this season, there are 4 teams in the playoffs and only 1 can go through and win. So they each have an equal 25% chance of winning.

Only if all things are equal, which they are not.

If a coin is weighted in favour of one side, it's not a 50/50 chance, even though there are still 2 sides.

Anyway, this is boring.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jul 2020 13:51

Snowflake Royal
Simmops
Snowflake Royal Football isn't a 50/50 coin flip for outcomes. The teams are not all equal and some have a better chance of winning than others.

Only if all things are equal, which they are not.

If a coin is weighted in favour of one side, it's not a 50/50 chance, even though there are still 2 sides.

Anyway, this is boring.

Not boring for me, Im learning. You are quite clever Ian.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jul 2020 14:27

tidus_mi2
Sutekh
tidus_mi2 I shouldn't have said anything! :lol:

:lol: For anyone bad enough to lose to Huddersfield. Even Reading couldn’t manage that.

Downside Leeds are now promoted

Upside, they won't be charging us £40 to go to Elland Road.

Downside, won't get to hope they bottle promotion

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jul 2020 14:30

Charlton may have just saved themselves there. 90th minute goal.

What a shame though Brentford couldn't keep their form up. I really hope this won't ruin it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2020 14:37

Charlton not out of the woods by any stretch with a trip to Leeds awaiting. They really need Hull to get something from the game against Luton, preferably a win given the last set of fixtures.

That Charlton equaliser is a huge kick in the nuts for Wigan. They now need a result against Fulham.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Jul 2020 14:42

From Despair To Where? Charlton not out of the woods by any stretch with a trip to Leeds awaiting. They really need Hull to get something from the game against Luton, preferably a win given the last set of fixtures.

That Charlton equaliser is a huge kick in the nuts for Wigan. They now need a result against Fulham.

Very possible too if Fulham don't win today, can see them resting players given the quick turnaround to the playoffs

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2020 14:43

Stranded
From Despair To Where? Charlton not out of the woods by any stretch with a trip to Leeds awaiting. They really need Hull to get something from the game against Luton, preferably a win given the last set of fixtures.

Very possible too if Fulham don't win today, can see them resting players given the quick turnaround to the playoffs

But if Fulham win today, they are still in with an outside shout of automatic. And if Luton win today, they just have to match Wigan's result against Fulham at home to Blackburn to finish above them.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jul 2020 15:13

Just seen pictures on social media of the aftermath of Leeds fans celebrations. Disgraceful scenes with a few cars being smashed up and caved in.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2020 15:24

Nothing in it, really, thats just another average evening in Beeston.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 18 Jul 2020 16:16

tidus_mi2 I don't give a oxf*rd about Leeds, also echo the sentiments about having zero interest in MOTD. I frankly have no interest in football if it doesn't involve a team I support which right now is only Reading or England, call it emotional attachment, idk.

So you only watch Reading? You never watch any highlights or any other games on TV?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Jul 2020 16:18

Notts Royal
tidus_mi2 I don't give a oxf*rd about Leeds, also echo the sentiments about having zero interest in MOTD. I frankly have no interest in football if it doesn't involve a team I support which right now is only Reading or England, call it emotional attachment, idk.

So you only watch Reading? You never watch any highlights or any other games on TV?

That's a fair description for me.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jul 2020 16:47

Hull 0-1 Luton

Looks like Hull are going be the first to be relegated.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jul 2020 17:00

Sutekh Hull 0-1 Luton

Looks like Hull are going be the first to be relegated.

Yep, that 8-0 loss really killed them, if they'd lost just 1-0 to Wigan a 9 goal swing wouldn't have been impossible but a 16 goal swing is never happening.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2020 17:14

It's not a 16 goal swing with Wigan having 12 points deducted, it's a 3 goal swing to Luton and pray Wigan lose.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jul 2020 17:23

From Despair To Where? It's not a 16 goal swing with Wigan having 12 points deducted, it's a 3 goal swing to Luton and pray Wigan lose.

I'll be honest, keep forgetting to factor in Wigan's point deduction.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 18 Jul 2020 17:32

Once they lost bowen and the polish guy, they were always oxf*rd. Good ridden to them. Horrible club.

17149 posts