17259 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2020 06:27

WestYorksRoyal
Simmops
WestYorksRoyal If the story is true, they will start on -12 and Sheffield Wednesday on -21. Combined with Wycombe coming up, you'd really have to be poor to go down next season.

Why - 21?

I read it somewhere. Extra punitive for misleading accounting I believe

Edit: all bollocks anyway. EFL have confirmed any penalties will be applied this season.

Has to be else they will end up in a probably lengthy legal dispute with Barnsley amongst others especially if any deduction would save them from the drop. Derby still in danger too of course, could also be hit with 12 to 21 points.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2020 07:52

linkenholtroyal
Zip
WestYorksRoyal Serious fitness issues with Williams. But certainly has talent and the right sort of character

Very much so re Johnny Williams. He is a likeable lad and a very decent player but unfortunately he always has injury problems. So for that reason no thanks.

Low wage punt well worth a go there is a few like that around. He may only play ten games all season but will put all he can into it and be on 5 k a week. Why not. Last player we bought from a relegated side was yiadom and that worked well. Why not better than spending 20k a week on a foreign punt.

If he's only available for 10 games We'd need someone else too. Why not just get the someone else and save yourself £5k a week?

That's the way you get a bloated squad and end up paying people for nothing.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jul 2020 08:45

Snowflake Royal
linkenholtroyal
Zip
Very much so re Johnny Williams. He is a likeable lad and a very decent player but unfortunately he always has injury problems. So for that reason no thanks.

Low wage punt well worth a go there is a few like that around. He may only play ten games all season but will put all he can into it and be on 5 k a week. Why not. Last player we bought from a relegated side was yiadom and that worked well. Why not better than spending 20k a week on a foreign punt.

If he's only available for 10 games We'd need someone else too. Why not just get the someone else and save yourself £5k a week?

Exactly. Our issue isn't just our wages that we pay to average players is too high but we also have 5 people too many in our first team squad and 1 reason for that is the insane amount of injury prone players we have on our books.

Rather we paid £10K for a player and he played 40+ games. Gives us more room to move to strengthen the rest of our squad. Or give a player like Michael Olise a long term deal which gives the club more negotiation leverage when we sell him next summer, possibly for £10m+ rather than £3-4m. Small savings and prudent reinvestments in the squad can be a massive difference if it's sensible.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Jul 2020 10:08

Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal
linkenholtroyal

Exactly. Our issue isn't just our wages that we pay to average players is too high but we also have 5 people too many in our first team squad and 1 reason for that is the insane amount of injury prone players we have on our books.

Rather we paid £10K for a player and he played 40+ games. Gives us more room to move to strengthen the rest of our squad. Or give a player like Michael Olise a long term deal which gives the club more negotiation leverage when we sell him next summer, possibly for £10m+ rather than £3-4m. Small savings and prudent reinvestments in the squad can be a massive difference if it's sensible.

Fair Enough I agree.
Would say it is the type of player we are going to be looking at though of that level and wages. I think we maybe looking at the wrong club to go for free transfers out of.

Hull were a good mid table Champ club who sold off there 2 creative outlets and then had a stand off regarding wages with there best players some of them listed below they are ripe for the picking.

Would like us to be looking at Irvine and Kevin Stewart from Hull. I know they have been relegated but these 2 are both a strong presence in CM. Kevin Stewart a 26 year old DM and Jackson Irvine a 27 yr old box to box leader when at his best both were on 10k approx. at Hull.

Josh Bowler Winger who has been on loan with them from Everton has been one of there best creative outlets this year and is on a free transfer. he is 21 and still a bit rough round the edges but could be the next prem reject to be turned around by Reading currently on 3k a week at Everton reportedly.

Finally the last two would cost a fee and we have looked at them both before I believe is Leonardo Da Silva Lopes and George Long.

George Long is a 26 year old Goalkeeper who has over 200 appearances at league 1 and Championship level if we can get for the right price he would add competition to Rafael and believed to be approx. 5k in wages.(obviously if we can offload Walker) he could be a real steal for whoever gets him if not us.

Leonardo DSL a player we have looked at before 21 years old but with over 140 appearances at League 1/Champ level and has been on our radar on here for a while (if not Readings) would probably command a substantial fee though as he has 4 years left to run on his contract and we maybe better with the 2 free transfers above. up point is his wages are only approx. 6k per week.

imagine if we did sign this lot we could get 2x experienced champ CM, 1x experienced DM, 1x experienced back up goalkeeper and 1x up and coming winger for 40k per week. less than what we were paying Gunter and Mccleary.
this wont happen but if it did we would only need 1 CB and 1 experienced winger and ready to go again.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2020 12:04

linkenholtroyal
Royal_jimmy
Snowflake Royal If he's only available for 10 games We'd need someone else too. Why not just get the someone else and save yourself £5k a week?

Fair Enough I agree.
Would say it is the type of player we are going to be looking at though of that level and wages. I think we maybe looking at the wrong club to go for free transfers out of.

Hull were a good mid table Champ club who sold off there 2 creative outlets and then had a stand off regarding wages with there best players some of them listed below they are ripe for the picking.

Would like us to be looking at Irvine and Kevin Stewart from Hull. I know they have been relegated but these 2 are both a strong presence in CM. Kevin Stewart a 26 year old DM and Jackson Irvine a 27 yr old box to box leader when at his best both were on 10k approx. at Hull.

Josh Bowler Winger who has been on loan with them from Everton has been one of there best creative outlets this year and is on a free transfer. he is 21 and still a bit rough round the edges but could be the next prem reject to be turned around by Reading currently on 3k a week at Everton reportedly.

Finally the last two would cost a fee and we have looked at them both before I believe is Leonardo Da Silva Lopes and George Long.

George Long is a 26 year old Goalkeeper who has over 200 appearances at league 1 and Championship level if we can get for the right price he would add competition to Rafael and believed to be approx. 5k in wages.(obviously if we can offload Walker) he could be a real steal for whoever gets him if not us.

Leonardo DSL a player we have looked at before 21 years old but with over 140 appearances at League 1/Champ level and has been on our radar on here for a while (if not Readings) would probably command a substantial fee though as he has 4 years left to run on his contract and we maybe better with the 2 free transfers above. up point is his wages are only approx. 6k per week.

imagine if we did sign this lot we could get 2x experienced champ CM, 1x experienced DM, 1x experienced back up goalkeeper and 1x up and coming winger for 40k per week. less than what we were paying Gunter and Mccleary.
this wont happen but if it did we would only need 1 CB and 1 experienced winger and ready to go again.

CAncel the keeper. We have a queue of good young keepers waiting thereis no reason to waste wages on one when we ought to be putting Southwood on the bench every week.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Jul 2020 12:17

Nameless
linkenholtroyal
Royal_jimmy

Fair Enough I agree.

CAncel the keeper. We have a queue of good young keepers waiting thereis no reason to waste wages on one when we ought to be putting Southwood on the bench every week.

what about the rest??

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jul 2020 12:31

Well, we did alright with our last free transfer signing from recently relegated Hull who would be "good at this level".

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2020 12:36

linkenholtroyal
Nameless
linkenholtroyal Fair Enough I agree.

what about the rest??

I only had an opinion on the keeper to be honest. I can’t see us buying half of a team that has seemingly got relegated because they couldn’t Be bothered not to. Huge question marks over the attitude of the players and I would rather sign players more used to winning

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 21 Jul 2020 12:41

From Despair To Where? Well, we did alright with our last free transfer signing from recently relegated Hull who would be "good at this level".

sarcasm??

Mcshane was our best Defender he just dropped off as he got older and Quinn was unlucky with injury played well when he did.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jul 2020 12:45

David Meyler?

Don't think it's that great an idea to go shopping at relegated teams and bringing in too many player who are used to losing.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 21 Jul 2020 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 21 Jul 2020 12:49

From Despair To Where? David Mayler?

David Meyler ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jul 2020 13:02

From Despair To Where? David Meyler?

Don't think it's that great an idea to go shopping at relegated teams and bringing in too many player who are used to losing.

Yeah this.

There's clear behind the scenes problems there. Best to avoid anyone whose been fighting relegation for multiple seasons... especially ones who failed the fight, and especially ones who failed twice.

Exceptions for players who got a team promoted then there was a relegation or are quite young.

We've got more than enough players here used to losing already.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jul 2020 13:08

Snowflake Royal

Yeah this.

There's clear behind the scenes problems there. Best to avoid anyone whose been fighting relegation for multiple seasons... especially ones who failed the fight, and especially ones who failed twice.

Exceptions for players who got a team promoted then there was a relegation or are quite young.

Yeah wouldn't go near any Hull players, we saw all we needed to in that 8-0 defeat at Wigan. No professional pride at that club.

Cauley Woodrow at Barnsley might be worth a look if Baldock and Puscas go.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jul 2020 13:57

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal

Yeah this.

Yeah wouldn't go near any Hull players, we saw all we needed to in that 8-0 defeat at Wigan. No professional pride at that club.

Cauley Woodrow at Barnsley might be worth a look if Baldock and Puscas go.

Thought that Conor Chaplin looked great when we played them away and did very well under the new manager at the start of his reign. Other than that little run doesn't seem to have done a lot

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Jul 2020 13:34

13 clubs, more than half the division, with promotion, playoff or relegation business to conclude tonight

Gonna be lovely to watch that as a neutral

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 22 Jul 2020 14:50

To further compound Huddersfield as a total basket case club, the Cowleys were stupidly sacked as the owner wanted complete control over all transfers and they wouldn't budge. They've now going to go for Leeds assistant.

Ridiculous. 23rd when they took over and good managers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2020 15:44

What is it with owners wanting to dictate stuff they're oxf*rd clueless about.

Might as well just install themselves as managers as save everyone the pretence.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Jul 2020 17:32

Snowflake Royal What is it with owners wanting to dictate stuff they're oxf*rd clueless about.

Might as well just install themselves as managers as save everyone the pretence.

Agree with the overall principle

However, in the case of Huddersfield, depending on who signed all their dross, Ince, Malone, Pritchard, Mounie, Depoitre, Kongolo etc etc I can perhaps understand the owners reasoning for wanting a closer involvement in transfers as that’s millions wasted to very little effect

Mind, it would be a hard sell to attract managers who have little control over transfers

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 22 Jul 2020 18:06

Snowflake Royal What is it with owners wanting to dictate stuff they're oxf*rd clueless about.

does beg the question if you bought a football club would you want to manage it aswell. I have often thought that if I one the euros I would buy someone like Hungerford Town Fc or Farnborough FC or Salisbury FC and see where I could take them on a few million. but if I did I would want control would probably go down the having a head coach route and working alongside them on transfers.
Its very easy to criticise as a fan but if it was your money would you think differently its a bit like the Swift situation if the owners want to do everything to keep him then that is there choice not ours.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 Jul 2020 18:14

Not convinced it’s a motivation issue at Hull, their squad has just been stripped bare from the players out of contract. Both them & Charlton seem to have lost more key players due to the pandemic than other clubs, hence their league postions. Obviously Hull were on the decline from Jan but I think they would’ve had enough to stay up if they’d retained the likes of Irvine, Maddison & Lihaj

17259 posts