Rival Watch

17261 posts
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival Watch

by royalp-we » 08 Aug 2020 23:13

Snowflake Royal No one's really failed to understand your point. I disagree with it. Even if you're right, the player given as the sort we should look to sign is bloody awful and would be in line with everything wrong at the club over the last 5 years or so.

What we need are reliable players, who will play at tempo regularly and don't cost a lot.

And we don't have a front line of young players. The majority of them have plenty of experience. It's just Olise who is young and inexperienced.

Our one signing so far is 25.

I agree the policy has been wrong. The players signed beggar belief for the wages and contracts handed out. But comparing Meyler and Edwards with Forestieri and Knockaert like some have is bonkers :lol:

You’ve hit the nail on the head in that we need reliable players. Our current crop have shown that they aren’t - and they need a bit of experience round them to push them on. I’m just saying one or two to complement them, not an overhaul of the current policy.

Let’s break it down like you have:

Joao - 26 [Looked good, Not achieved anything, yet]
Meite - 24 [Looks raw at times and frustrating, gets the simple things wrong]
Puscas - 24 [Abundance of promise, Not achieved anything, yet]
Baldock - 31 [Most experienced and at 31, won playoffs in 2008, Doesn’t suit the system, barely played over past few years]
Swift - 25 [Star player, Most consistent midfielder]
Rinomhota - 23 [Hot and Cold, goes missing, promising if deployed right]
Laurent - 25 [Unproven, have my reservations on his presence round the team]
Holsgrove - 20 [Unproven]
Olise - 18 [Abundance of promise, yet to show it]

There’s 1 winners medal amongst them. Now if you compare this lot to most championship teams, the majority of them lack credible championship experience.

If you disagree we could do with a couple of additional players then fairplay, ready yourself for a slog Ian. There’s already young and hungry players in the squad, we haven’t even mentioned East, Nevers etc. Only signing young players will be sleepwalking to disaster once more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Aug 2020 08:20

royalp-we
Snowflake Royal No one's really failed to understand your point. I disagree with it. Even if you're right, the player given as the sort we should look to sign is bloody awful and would be in line with everything wrong at the club over the last 5 years or so.

What we need are reliable players, who will play at tempo regularly and don't cost a lot.

And we don't have a front line of young players. The majority of them have plenty of experience. It's just Olise who is young and inexperienced.

I agree the policy has been wrong. The players signed beggar belief for the wages and contracts handed out. But comparing Meyler and Edwards with Forestieri and Knockaert like some have is bonkers :lol:

You’ve hit the nail on the head in that we need reliable players. Our current crop have shown that they aren’t - and they need a bit of experience round them to push them on. I’m just saying one or two to complement them, not an overhaul of the current policy.

Baldock - 31 [Most experienced and at 31, won playoffs in 2008, Doesn’t suit the system, barely played over past few years]

There’s 1 winners medal amongst them. Now if you compare this lot to most championship teams, the majority of them lack credible championship experience.

If you disagree we could do with a couple of additional players then fairplay, ready yourself for a slog Ian. There’s already young and hungry players in the squad, we haven’t even mentioned East, Nevers etc. Only signing young players will be sleepwalking to disaster once more.

oxf*rd me, that assessment is a screaming load of crap.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Aug 2020 13:42

It's like watching 2 mentally handicapped people fighting over the last seat on the special bus.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 09 Aug 2020 17:29

Old Man Andrews It's like watching 2 mentally handicapped people fighting over the last seat on the special bus.

You and ?.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Aug 2020 18:31

karbota
Old Man Andrews It's like watching 2 mentally handicapped people fighting over the last seat on the special bus.

You and ?.

Amazing, you both walked into that.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Aug 2020 19:13

royalp-we

Well 2 things from glancing at this post:

1) Rino - Hot & Cold :shock:
He’s the definition of a consistent 7/10 player. Rarely has a shocker, but never does anything that fancy. We need more of those types I’d say
2) How many winners medals did the 106 team have?

I agree most of our squad is inconsistent, but there is quality there. And I also agree we don’t need a whole overhaul...we’ve had too many signings every summer for the last 7 years. 3-4 is what we need, but experience is important

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Aug 2020 23:08

SCIAG
karbota

You and ?.

Amazing, you both walked into that.

:D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Aug 2020 13:41

Notts Royal
royalp-we

He’s the definition of a consistent 7/10 player. Rarely has a shocker, but never does anything that fancy. We need more of those types I’d say

I agree most of our squad is inconsistent, but there is quality there. And I also agree we don’t need a whole overhaul...we’ve had too many signings every summer for the last 7 years. 3-4 is what we need, but experience is important

1. Ivar won the Brentford player of the season in 2002
  2. Chris Makin was in the Sunderland squad that won the first division in 1999
  3. Steve Sidwell helped Arsenal win the FA Youth Cup in 2001
  4. Brynjar won Stoke player of the season in 2001
  5. Glen Little helped Glentoran to the Irish Cup in 1995
  6. John Oster won Grimsby Town supporters young player of the season in 1997

You can also add to that the Reading Player of the Season awards won by Murty (twice), Harps and Kitson.

Presume that is more than the current squad :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2020 16:07

That's a fairly desperate list.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Aug 2020 16:13

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 16:17

I assume that is a slightly tongue-in-cheek list as:

Murty
Shorey
Harper
Sidwell

all won promotion with us from Div 2 as well.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 10 Aug 2020 16:18

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2020 16:23

:lol:

Yeah, didn't think it was serious.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Aug 2020 16:48

Well the way I see it, it's a case of six of one and a dozen of the other.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2020 17:05

Sutekh
Notts Royal
royalp-we

You can also add to that the Reading Player of the Season awards won by Murty (twice), Harps and Kitson.

JOhn O’Shea has worn more than both squads combined !

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Aug 2020 17:06

Nameless
Sutekh
Notts Royal

JOhn O’Shea has worn more than both squads combined !

He has probably won more that most Championship squads put together, tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2020 17:22

He could probably challenge on the most number of relegations too. :wink:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2020 17:32

Snowflake Royal He could probably challenge on the most number of relegations too. :wink:

Suspect lots of players have been relegated twice !
Andy Yiadom has for a start... :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Aug 2020 17:46

Nameless
Snowflake Royal He could probably challenge on the most number of relegations too. :wink:

Knew he had at least 1.

Hmm, There's quite a few I'd hazard a guess at having zero. Interesting* question.

I'd guess Baldock is the only other in the current squad who might.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 10 Aug 2020 17:51

Snowflake Royal
Nameless

Knew he had at least 1.

Hmm, There's quite a few I'd hazard a guess at having zero. Interesting* question.

I'd guess Baldock is the only other in the current squad who might.

I thought Morrison might have had one but doesn’t appear so.

Sam Walker has one actual relegation but a string of narrow escapes at a number of clubs.
Last edited by Nameless on 10 Aug 2020 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

17261 posts