Rival Watch

17149 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2020 19:36

SCIAG If people want to quietly object then, well, fine. I might disagree, but ultimately you are harmless. I have stood for silence at times when I didn’t care about the cause. I am sure many Reading fans remember the death of the King (?) of Thailand. I’m also sure that most of us understood that it was both a bizarre irrelevance, and not something worth making a scene over.

What is unacceptable to me is being so enraged by the gesture that you feel the need to vocalise that objection. Perhaps you read some nefarious intent into the symbolism, but as an adult you should be able to accept that this isn’t the intent of the players. Jake Cooper isn’t publicly urinating on photos of Churchill or whatever Millwall fans claim they’re upset about. Keep your misgivings to yourself for the duration of the kneeling or it seems like you’re enraged by even the flimsiest piece of anti-racism imaginable.

Good post that.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 08 Dec 2020 19:45

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957
Nameless
It wasn’t started by Kaepernick.
There was a discussion on the radio earlier and it goes way back beyond that, around 200 years and to England.
The symbolism from the USA was very clear. It was done during the playing of the National Anthem and was a peaceful but visible means of someone saying ‘I am excluded from this’.
Here it is slightly different as we don’t really venerate the anthem but it is still a simple and symbolic gesture of unity.
I’ve not heard of any players specifically opting out but wouldn’t Have a problem if, like Billy or James Maclean they articulated why. You would think this has been the subject of discussion in all dressing rooms and players have bought in to the fact that it’s not political, it’s not divisive, it’s not even particularly controversial. It would be interesting to witness a conversation between (say) Liam Moore and a team mate if the team mate said ‘I’m not doing it, you’re just a Marxist police hating statue smashing black bloke and I disagree that you are as good as me’.
I find it somewhat odd that it is felt more pressing to honour a made up deity than to stand up for equality between people. I am sure your god is big enough to let you use the same gesture to big him up and to express support for your fellow man. If he’s that much of an egotist that he insists you reserve a special pose for him then maybe he’s not worth the time ?

Genuinely interested where taking the knee comes from if 200 years ago. I just cannot find anything on it prior to Kaepernick.

Not sure I agree about the made up deity bit. Each to their own, but I have been miraculously healed twice - once over 20 years ago when I was told I would spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair in agony due to the base of my spine completely wearing away, but was healed instantaneously and I have lived a pain free life since and secondly after I was told I had 3-6 months to live with terminal cancer in May 2017. I refused all treatment, discharged myself from NHS care and yet was cancer free within 6 months. I doubt God will be punishing anyone for taking the knee but I hope this explains why being referential to Him is important to me. I don't see any need to follow the crowd and make a gesture just because we are pressured to do so - especially as I said earlier when I don't understand where that gesture originates.

Fantastic to hear about your fortune with recovery andrew. I'll not be accepting your God hypothesis over mis-diagnosis or normal spontaneous healing though, and I'm with Nameless really. And if you're God is real, given all that goes on and those he doesn't help, I'll still be lining up alongside with the rebels against him. :)

I know quite a few who are believers even if I am not one so I respect their faith.
Generally (apart of course from the Roman Catholic Church) Christian churches and their members do more good than harm so it feels a bit trite to mock the faith.

Many of you on here watch films about ghosts, ghouls,spooks and extra-terrestial stuff which are generally nonsense IMHO and yet might choose to criticise Andrew for his belief which he feels led to his recoveries.

Glad to hear that you are now doing ok and IIRC there was a time when you had blind faith in what certain managers were doing at our club-the way things are going this season I might be tempted to adopt that particular faith. :wink:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Dec 2020 20:07

Les Ferdinand nailed the whole arguement for me. I think he is probably one of the few people who actually talked sense, and that was over a month and a half ago. It's almost as if he knew this would eventually happen.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 08 Dec 2020 20:10

God the TB is dull at the mo it’s either baby AE talking about BLM or laughably and ironically talking about how Forest aren’t a big club by pages of discussing them and their European history.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 08 Dec 2020 20:16

Watford 2 up already

Watching Swansea V Bournemouth on red button, the pitch is dreadful

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Dec 2020 21:19

Bournemouth have a stone wall pen turned down, from the ref that was on VAR duty for the Brighton game last night , where the fcuk do they get them from?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 08 Dec 2020 21:24

Stoke were one nil up and second in the table. Where did that come from?

Losing now, lol

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Dec 2020 21:26

Can`t believe how open this league is this season.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 08 Dec 2020 21:32

It’s crazy tight. Stoke jumped up to 2nd but are now losing. They could be 10th after tomorrow’s fixtures :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Dec 2020 21:41

Yep, crazy tight. We win tomorrow, guaranteed top 2. Top if Norwich fail to win.

Draw will put us 5th, defeat could see us 7th.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2020 21:45

Cardiff four wins on the bounce including wins at Watford and Stoke in their last two. Our win at the CCS is beginning to look like a very good result.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 08 Dec 2020 22:14

Sean Morrison scored an OG, lets a penalty against him and scored the winner

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2020 22:49

South Coast Royal
Many of you on here watch films about ghosts, ghouls,spooks and extra-terrestial stuff which are generally nonsense IMHO and yet might choose to criticise Andrew for his belief which he feels led to his recoveries.

Er yeah Vic, but we don't believe they're real.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2020 08:25

Zip Cardiff four wins on the bounce including wins at Watford and Stoke in their last two. Our win at the CCS is beginning to look like a very good result.

It does indeed. A lot of people were putting our early position down to just beating the poor teams in the division and Cardiff were seen as one of those but their run shows they were anything but.

Looking at the current top 12 our record is pretty good:

P7 W4 D1 L2 PPG 1.85

Bottom half

P9 W5 D2 L2 PPG 1.88

So we are pretty damn consistant regardless of oppositions position.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 09:01

You know what you'll get from Cardiff. Tried and tested formula, I don't think they have the overall quality to really challenge though. Some decent players there though for the system - Morrison, Moore and Wilson all good players in this div

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 09:02

CountryRoyal God the TB is dull at the mo it’s either baby AE talking about BLM or laughably and ironically talking about how Forest aren’t a big club by pages of discussing them and their European history.

Well come up with something interesting then rather than just moaning again

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Dec 2020 09:02

Can see Cardiff being right up there.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Dec 2020 09:03

Hound
CountryRoyal God the TB is dull at the mo it’s either baby AE talking about BLM or laughably and ironically talking about how Forest aren’t a big club by pages of discussing them and their European history.

Well come up with something interesting then rather than just moaning again

CountryRoyal is probably pound for pound the worst poster on the forum. Contributes nothing and moans the entire time. Awful.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2020 09:03

Old Man Andrews Can see Cardiff being right up there.

I'm not convinced Harris is a good enough manager tbh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2020 09:06

Hound
Old Man Andrews Can see Cardiff being right up there.

I'm not convinced Harris is a good enough manager tbh

Not sure they will make the play-offs again this year but the fact they did last year was a lot to do with Harris as they were struggling a bit under Warnock.

Next 4 games are big for them - Welsh Derby with Swansea, with Norwich and Brentford to come by Boxing Day - also have Brum in that run. If they pick up 7+ points from that then they really will be in the mix. Or they could slip back down to the bottom half just as quickly.

17149 posts