17149 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Nov 2022 10:27

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
Stranded
No FFP losses are "only" 26.5m for the current period, helped by a near 16m profit made 4 years ago. Next year will be very tricky for them though unless they manage to bring in a decent wedge from sales.

Not sure they’ve a huge lot to sell

It’s not like us this year where we’ve just had to cut right back - they surely need to make a huge profit this season and that isn’t happening

They used to sell very well - but think they reinvested a lot of that on pretty average players on high wages

Seems their wages has gone down by about £5m, but there are still players like Wells that are earning in excess of £20k a week according to some reports which he doesn't justify.

We were in a better position as we've had players that could have been sold over the years. Literally if we sold Moore and Swift when interest was high, we could have pocketed £10-15m for both of them and how different the situation would have looked then. Hindsight is 20-20 I suppose.

It would have looked the same... we breached FFP by £18m despite transfer embargos.

Had we sold Moore for the £8m Brighton were willing to part with, we'd have £8m off that and a couple million from not paying his ridiculous wage, but we'd have just spunked half of it up the wall on a one legged Hungarian and avoided the FL forcing us to reign it in a bit slightly longer.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Nov 2022 15:07

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
Not sure they’ve a huge lot to sell

It’s not like us this year where we’ve just had to cut right back - they surely need to make a huge profit this season and that isn’t happening

They used to sell very well - but think they reinvested a lot of that on pretty average players on high wages

Seems their wages has gone down by about £5m, but there are still players like Wells that are earning in excess of £20k a week according to some reports which he doesn't justify.

We were in a better position as we've had players that could have been sold over the years. Literally if we sold Moore and Swift when interest was high, we could have pocketed £10-15m for both of them and how different the situation would have looked then. Hindsight is 20-20 I suppose.

It would have looked the same... we breached FFP by £18m despite transfer embargos.

Had we sold Moore for the £8m Brighton were willing to part with, we'd have £8m off that and a couple million from not paying his ridiculous wage, but we'd have just spunked half of it up the wall on a one legged Hungarian and avoided the FL forcing us to reign it in a bit slightly longer.

The point was in principle really. Obviously, I'd have expected us to have spent even mor than we already did, but we have had some players in recent years that we have/could have sold for some value. Moore, Swift, Olise, Richards etc, but it would all require the club to be under different circumstances.

I'm not sure Bristol City, in this case, have much that is going to sell for much value, but who knows.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Nov 2022 15:51

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

The point was in principle really. Obviously, I'd have expected us to have spent even mor than we already did, but we have had some players in recent years that we have/could have sold for some value. Moore, Swift, Olise, Richards etc, but it would all require the club to be under different circumstances.

I'm not sure Bristol City, in this case, have much that is going to sell for much value, but who knows.

On the plus side, it should mean we only need to worry about 2 relegation places either next season or the one after.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Nov 2022 16:48

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal It would have looked the same... we breached FFP by £18m despite transfer embargos.

On the plus side, it should mean we only need to worry about 2 relegation places either next season or the one after.

I can imagine one or two clubs have said the same about us over the last couple of seasons as well! But it would be a big plus point for a side at the bottom knowing someone has 6 (or more) less points than you.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 Nov 2022 14:24

Most people had ourselves, Rotherham and Birmingham as the bottom 3, none of which currently occupy the relegation zone. Even last season people had Derby as a free hit and at times they looked like they might claw their way out.

Outside of a team going out of business or those ridiculous 30pt deductions or whatever it is Luton/Leeds got, I don't think anything is guaranteed.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Nov 2022 14:54

Hendo
Mr Optimist
Sutekh Michael Beale to move from QPR to take over at Wolves for £ 1.2m - set to be agreed and announced at some point after their game v Cardiff tonight.

I wonder where the 1882 Fakes will turn to for a replacement? Chris Wilder? John Terry won’t be happening :lol:

Beale turns down Wolves!

Hugely loyal to QPR Michael Beale, now agrees to join Rangers.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2022 15:12

Hendo
Hendo
Mr Optimist
I wonder where the 1882 Fakes will turn to for a replacement? Chris Wilder? John Terry won’t be happening :lol:

Beale turns down Wolves!

Hugely loyal to QPR Michael Beale, now agrees to join Rangers.

And so it goes full circle, he returns to Rangers as top bloke as opposed to assistant top bloke.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Nov 2022 08:43

For those missing the Championship - just noticed that it actually re-starts on Saturday with Sunderland and Millwall playing the fixture that was postponed back in September.

If Sunderland win, we'll restart the season in 13th, whilst Millwall could go 4th.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Dec 2022 10:52

Coventry seem to be a little bit fucked.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Dec 2022 10:56

Fortunately, they are away to us this weekend. Hopefully these off the field issues will derail them a bit this weekend.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Dec 2022 11:03

Hendo Coventry seem to be a little bit fucked.

This is, I'm sure, Mike Ashley's way of screwing them for more money and/or making the club so unprofitable that the current owner has no option but to sell it to him for a fraction of the price.

If the first step, imagine Coventry will be playing there next week.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Dec 2022 11:46

Stranded
Hendo Coventry seem to be a little bit fucked.

This is, I'm sure, Mike Ashley's way of screwing them for more money and/or making the club so unprofitable that the current owner has no option but to sell it to him for a fraction of the price.

If the first step, imagine Coventry will be playing there next week.

Even the ownership of the club going forward is in dispute- 2 rivals Doug King and William Storey think they should be the new owner.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Dec 2022 11:47

Evicted from their ground with immediate effect.

If they can't work something out pdq then ultimately I guess the FL will have no choice but to throw them out of the league. Out of interest what are the league rules governing events like this?

Story below...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63858805

Coventry are also expecting to receive FL approval for the sale of its majority shareholding (amounting to 85%) to Doug King (CEO of Staffordshire based companies Yelo Enterprises & RCMA Capital LLP) next month.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Dec 2022 11:48

If William Storey gets in, they'd be even more screwed than they already are. Absolute crook.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 11 Dec 2022 13:40

QPR are a joke- hardly anyone at the match today.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2022 06:23

Royals and Racers QPR are a joke- hardly anyone at the match today.

Hardly a happy place to go on a cold day for a likely tanking.

Anyway, Neil Critchley announced as the new boss there. Did well at Blackpool so could be a decent appointment.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Dec 2022 08:46

Yeah I think Critchley will be a decent appointment for them, not sure whether he will take them up into the play offs or not, but it's a close run thing in those areas so it's too early to tell.

It's still very tight, but it does seem to be that the league is starting to separate in places. Rotherham in 17th on 26 points and then Luton are in 13th on 30 points, a couple of games in hand for Coventry so you'd anticipate they'd win maybe one of them so it seems to be a case where the lesser sides are dropping towards the bottom now.

Realistically we are 8 points clear of Wigan who will probably be 22nd and 13 places above, so we are in a more than decent position approaching the halfway stage of the season. A win against Brum and 35 points is an excellent tally going into the second half of the season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Dec 2022 09:06

Since Warne has gone Rotherham definitely been slipping considerably. Suspect they’ll end up getting relegated as per usual

Does seem to be slowly moving towards a bottom 4 or so of Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Rotherham with the likes of Cardiff, Hull and Stoke at risk of getting dragged out

Our last two wins have been massive - that 7/8 points to Stoke, Cardiff and Wigan looks a really good buffer at this stage

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Dec 2022 10:01

Hound Since Warne has gone Rotherham definitely been slipping considerably. Suspect they’ll end up getting relegated as per usual

Does seem to be slowly moving towards a bottom 4 or so of Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Rotherham with the likes of Cardiff, Hull and Stoke at risk of getting dragged out

Our last two wins have been massive - that 7/8 points to Stoke, Cardiff and Wigan looks a really good buffer at this stage

Yep, a big 6 points either side of the break and a vist to somewhere we traditionally do well up next - albeit the Friday night curse will likely see to that.

Mad to think we could be 5th (if only temporarily) come Friday night.

We should, from here have plenty to stear clear of the bottom 3. 1 point per game from here on in gets us to 56, which would mean Huddersfield needing 37pts, Blackpool 33 and Wigan 32 just to draw level. We have 2 of those 3 still to play at home too.

Next 4 games for us are tricky though and you could easily see us taking anywhere between 0 and 7 points esp as 3 are away from home.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Dec 2022 10:05

Yeah I think Rotherham will get dragged in with Wigan, Blackpool and Huddersfield. I'm not convinced by Stoke, Hull or Cardiff, particularly the latter 2. Cardiff are struggling for goals whereas Hull (despite their clean sheet yesterday) have the worst defence in the league, not good for sides at the bottom.

Bristol City are another who needed that win vs Rotherham on Saturday, not especially convinced by them either but obviously all can't go down. Still think it will be Huddersfield and then 2 from Wigan, Blackpool and Rotherham. Stoke, Cardiff, Hull and Bristol City could well get dragged into that though, but might just have a bit more.

For us, I think we could still end up in that pack come the end of the season, but I do think we've got/shown enough about us to stay clear of those sides (those sides being Stoke, Hull, Cardiff and Bristol City).

17149 posts