Rival Watch

17149 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by Hendo » 11 May 2022 10:40

Nameless Why would anyone want to ‘be’ another club ?
If you want to be Brighton or Watford then go and support them !
We have plenty of history, plenty of recent success and absolutely no reason to want to be another club !

+1

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:40

NathStPaul
We have plenty of history, plenty of recent success and absolutely no reason to want to be another club !

Nameless defending the club when nobody asked him to again.

Are you hoping someone from the club reads your bullshit and offers you a job? Arse licker.

There is absolutely nothing there defending the club.
Your nonsense has fallen apart and so you decide to revert to type.
You are presumably about 14 ?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:40

Nameless
NathStPaul
Nameless
Your whole argument falls apart given the ‘timelines’
There has been a ‘rivalry’ since well before Bournemouth got promoted.
It then falls further apart because you’ve not actually understood the article !

I haven't read the article.

I am talking about our supporters having rivalries with other clubs, not the other way around. Moron.

So you are just posting nonsense for the sake of it ?
If there has been a rivalry of sorts with Bournemouth for years and years then saying it is because you think we want to ‘be’ them makes no sense.
Presumably Everton have a rivalry with Liverpool because they want to be them !

Everton absolutely want to be Liverpool in terms of success, yes. You always envy your local rival if they are doing better than you, not sure why you need that explaining to you. Are you slow?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:42

Nameless
NathStPaul

Nameless defending the club when nobody asked him to again.

Are you hoping someone from the club reads your bullshit and offers you a job? Arse licker.

You are defending the club, you are stating that there is no reason to want to be another club despite our obvious awful current standing. You are blind to any of the clubs failings and have repeatedly defending Kia, the owners and the players.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:42

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul I haven't read the article.

I am talking about our supporters having rivalries with other clubs, not the other way around. Moron.

If there has been a rivalry of sorts with Bournemouth for years and years then saying it is because you think we want to ‘be’ them makes no sense.

Everton absolutely want to be Liverpool in terms of success, yes. You always envy your local rival if they are doing better than you, not sure why you need that explaining to you. Are you slow?

No, Everton want their own success. No Evertonian would swap blue for red just for the sake of a League Cup.
Only a teenage keyboard warrior could get the idea of a football rivalry sooooooo wrong !

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 10:44

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul I haven't read the article.

Are Bournemouth really "local" though? Yeah it's not far but I'm not sure I'd class it as local.

As most have said, I don't think Bournemouth is really seen as a rivalry by the majority, just those that envy their success for some reason but have very short memories evidently as we were better than them a decade or so ago. Swings and roundabouts, nothing to really be concerned about.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:44

Nameless
NathStPaul
Nameless

No, Everton want their own success. No Evertonian would swap blue for red just for the sake of a League Cup.
Only a teenage keyboard warrior could get the idea of a football rivalry sooooooo wrong !

No thicko, nobody is saying an Everton supporter wants to swap to being a Liverpool supporter. The point is that of course an Everton supporter is jealous of the success of their closest rival and desperately want Everton to become another Liverpool. Moron.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 May 2022 10:48

You can feel the crackling sexual tension on the Team Board this morning

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:49

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul Nameless defending the club when nobody asked him to again.

You are defending the club, you are stating that there is no reason to want to be another club despite our obvious awful current standing. You are blind to any of the clubs failings and have repeatedly defending Kia, the owners and the players.

Going full Ian here aren’t you....
The idea that a fan of a club would want to swap clubs woukdn’t Be something anyone with a feeling for the game would consider. Your inability to realise ‘the club’ is not thecurrent owner/custodian, it’s the fans. Ironic that in our 150th year your horizons are so narrow. I’m happy to defend RFC, have never defended Kia, rarely defend Dai. There is a huge difference between ‘defending’ and being a bit more aware of the reality behind many of the issues we face.
You’re obviously a fairly new fan and not aware of the history of Reading FC. WE’ve been in far worse positions on and off the pitch than we are now but those who follow the club haven’t decided they want to ‘be’ a different club

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:50

leon You can feel the crackling sexual tension on the Team Board this morning

I guess Nathan can only get so much relief sat in his room trying not to disturb his parents....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:52

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul Everton absolutely want to be Liverpool in terms of success, yes. You always envy your local rival if they are doing better than you, not sure why you need that explaining to you. Are you slow?

No thicko, nobody is saying an Everton supporter wants to swap to being a Liverpool supporter. The point is that of course an Everton supporter is jealous of the success of their closest rival and desperately want Everton to become another Liverpool. Moron.

I like the way you desperately change your argument as each attempt to make a ‘point’ fails miserably....

Everton fans want to be successful.
That is nothing to do with their rivalry with Liverpool.
In years gone by Everton were the more successful club (get your grandad to explain)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:52

Nameless
NathStPaul
Nameless

The idea that a fan of a club would want to swap clubs woukdn’t Be something anyone with a feeling for the game would consider. Your inability to realise ‘the club’ is not thecurrent owner/custodian, it’s the fans. Ironic that in our 150th year your horizons are so narrow. I’m happy to defend RFC, have never defended Kia, rarely defend Dai. There is a huge difference between ‘defending’ and being a bit more aware of the reality behind many of the issues we face.
You’re obviously a fairly new fan and not aware of the history of Reading FC. WE’ve been in far worse positions on and off the pitch than we are now but those who follow the club haven’t decided they want to ‘be’ a different club

No I just live in the real world. We are a dead club with a mediocre history that will be going backwards before we go forwards. We would love to be another Brentford or Bournemouth, we envy their success. Just because you are dishonest and can't bring yourself to admit it it doesn't make it any less true. One day you'll take the blinkers off.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 10:54

leon You can feel the crackling sexual tension on the Team Board this morning

I see... this is the reams of specious shit you were referring to. Good observation.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:55

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul You are defending the club, you are stating that there is no reason to want to be another club despite our obvious awful current standing. You are blind to any of the clubs failings and have repeatedly defending Kia, the owners and the players.

No I just live in the real world. We are a dead club with a mediocre history that will be going backwards before we go forwards. We would love to be another Brentford or Bournemouth, we envy their success. Just because you are dishonest and can't bring yourself to admit it it doesn't make it any less true. One day you'll take the blinkers off.

Our history is more than comparable with Brentford and Bournemouth.
They envyed our success when we had our moments in the sun.
Your claim that any rivalry with Bournemouth are due to very recent differences in success just show your lack of knowledge, probably excused by your age.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:56

Nameless
NathStPaul
Nameless

I like the way you desperately change your argument as each attempt to make a ‘point’ fails miserably....

Everton fans want to be successful.
That is nothing to do with their rivalry with Liverpool.
In years gone by Everton were the more successful club (get your grandad to explain)

They were more successful in the late 80's?

Go have a read of both the European trophies and domestic trophies both clubs have won. Liverpool 66 Everton 24.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:58

Nameless
NathStPaul
Nameless

Your claim that any rivalry with Bournemouth are due to very recent differences in success just show your lack of knowledge, probably excused by your age.

Finally, you're getting it. All supporters envy other clubs when they are successful, especially when they are divisional rivals of a similar size. You got there in the end, no need to apologise.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 11:00

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul No I just live in the real world. We are a dead club with a mediocre history that will be going backwards before we go forwards. We would love to be another Brentford or Bournemouth, we envy their success. Just because you are dishonest and can't bring yourself to admit it it doesn't make it any less true. One day you'll take the blinkers off.

Finally, you're getting it. All supporters envy other clubs when they are successful, especially when they are divisional rivals of a similar size. You got there in the end, no need to apologise.

There goes those goalposts again...

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 May 2022 11:19

South Coast Royal
NathStPaul
Hendo Can you point me towards that section of our support, as I would like to laugh at them.

Of course a lot of our supporters want to be Bournemouth, they are a successful club who are of a similar size to us. There is an extreme amount of envy amongst a lot of our support. They won't be honest enough to admit it but it is quite clear. Expect better of you tbh, it is pretty obvious.

I confess to envy.
Envy in particular that we ended up with the only Russian owner not to have any money whereas they ended up with one who has invested loads-a-money which helped them considerably to get that first promotion which in turn led to parachute payments which in turn have been a great help in them getting promotion again.

They stayed up for 5 years because of ongoing investment whereas we (for whatever reasons) didn't.

^^This. All day long.

under the tin

by under the tin » 11 May 2022 11:21

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul Nobody is going to outwardly say it are they? It is embarrassing. It is of course the reason though as there isn't any other explanation. There is no geographical rivalry, no real history of bad feeling at games. It comes down purely to jealousy of their success.

Every Reading supporter would like to be in Bournemouth's position would they not? They see a club of a similar size and similar supporter base succeeding whilst we flounder just above the relegation zone. They can spend money, have decent players and win games. What isn't there to envy exactly?

It begs the question, why specifically Bournemouth then? There are plenty of clubs of similar size/stature doing better than us right now, Brighton, Norwich, Watford etc.

I would say it is because we realistically could be Bournemouth if things had gone differently for us. I would argue they are almost a direct equivilant to us in terms of the town size, club size, support base etc.
Brighton and Norwich are both City teams with a far richer history than our own and Watford nobody could really envy due to their ridiculous business model and way they operate in general. That said I would bet you a lot of our supporters would swap places with Watford in a heartbeat.

There is actually a bit of rivalry with Brighton, it stems back to when they were promoted the first time.

Richer History? Brighton???

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 May 2022 11:24

As an "expert" in Bournemouth/Reading relations I can confirm that the rivalry really goes back to one season when we stopped Bournemouth and a young loan player in Jermain Defoe from reaching play-offs in Div 1.

They had been a club in financial turmoil but saw that there was an opportunity for promotion with a team containing Defoe and a very young John O'Shea.

We were perceived as money bags Reading (with some justification) with our shiny stadium buying our way to promotion whereas plucky little old Bournemouth were scraping by and could see a glimmer of light-little did anybody know or believe that some years later there would be a major turnaround in fortunes.

So, IMHO it goes back to that time as there was nothing much before that -Southampton and Portsmouth were normally in a different division, Brighton almost as far away as Reading and likewise the Bristol clubs , Plymouth and Exeter although I have detected a bit of rivalry feeling with Bristol City.

Now I don't think the rivalry is anywhere near the same as they see themselves as a Premier League club with the financial backing to give them a chance of survival and of course TV money far, far exceeds gate revenue as a main source of income so they are still in no great hurry to get a bigger ground.

In contrast, Brighton and Southampton which are both more steeped in working class support (for want of a better expression but both with strong local Labour presence) and greater numbers felt the need to build bigger and offer the chance of 30,000 or so fans to be accommodated.
On the other hand, despite those 5 years in the Prem., there is not a great demand for a new stadium down here as I suspect, with casual supporters being able to see games, a capacity of 15,000 could be enough especially with the 10% (?) only allocation for away fans.

I will remain envious and harbour the hope that they come straight back down again and that we return to our former glories even though they were for such short periods as I think that the Reading area could support a Premier League club and hopefully for as long as Brighton and Southampton have and Bournemouth did previously.

17149 posts