Re: Rival Watch

by Silver Fox » 11 May 2022 10:05

What a load of nonsense, still something to do in the off season I guess

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2022 10:06

NathStPaul
Hendo Can you point me towards that section of our support, as I would like to laugh at them.

Of course a lot of our supporters want to be Bournemouth, they are a successful club who are of a similar size to us. There is an extreme amount of envy amongst a lot of our support. They won't be honest enough to admit it but it is quite clear. Expect better of you tbh, it is pretty obvious.

That'll be a no then.

I genuinely have never seen any of our fans proclaiming wanting to be like Bournemouth or showing any signs of jealously.

If it is pretty obvious, you won't mind pointing a blissfully unaware idiot in the right direction.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:10

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo Can you point me towards that section of our support, as I would like to laugh at them.

Of course a lot of our supporters want to be Bournemouth, they are a successful club who are of a similar size to us. There is an extreme amount of envy amongst a lot of our support. They won't be honest enough to admit it but it is quite clear. Expect better of you tbh, it is pretty obvious.

That'll be a no then.

I genuinely have never seen any of our fans proclaiming wanting to be like Bournemouth or showing any signs of jealously.

If it is pretty obvious, you won't mind pointing a blissfully unaware idiot in the right direction.

Nobody is going to outwardly say it are they? It is embarrassing. It is of course the reason though as there isn't any other explanation. There is no geographical rivalry, no real history of bad feeling at games. It comes down purely to jealousy of their success.

Every Reading supporter would like to be in Bournemouth's position would they not? They see a club of a similar size and similar supporter base succeeding whilst we flounder just above the relegation zone. They can spend money, have decent players and win games. What isn't there to envy exactly?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 May 2022 10:13

NathStPaul

I confess to envy.
Envy in particular that we ended up with the only Russian owner not to have any money whereas they ended up with one who has invested loads-a-money which helped them considerably to get that first promotion which in turn led to parachute payments which in turn have been a great help in them getting promotion again.

They stayed up for 5 years because of ongoing investment whereas we (for whatever reasons) didn't.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 10:16

NathStPaul
Hendo
NathStPaul Of course a lot of our supporters want to be Bournemouth, they are a successful club who are of a similar size to us. There is an extreme amount of envy amongst a lot of our support. They won't be honest enough to admit it but it is quite clear. Expect better of you tbh, it is pretty obvious.

That'll be a no then.

Nobody is going to outwardly say it are they? It is embarrassing. It is of course the reason though as there isn't any other explanation. There is no geographical rivalry, no real history of bad feeling at games. It comes down purely to jealousy of their success.

Every Reading supporter would like to be in Bournemouth's position would they not? They see a club of a similar size and similar supporter base succeeding whilst we flounder just above the relegation zone. They can spend money, have decent players and win games. What isn't there to envy exactly?

It begs the question, why specifically Bournemouth then? There are plenty of clubs of similar size/stature doing better than us right now, Brighton, Norwich, Watford etc.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:20

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul
Hendo
That'll be a no then.

It begs the question, why specifically Bournemouth then? There are plenty of clubs of similar size/stature doing better than us right now, Brighton, Norwich, Watford etc.

I would say it is because we realistically could be Bournemouth if things had gone differently for us. I would argue they are almost a direct equivilant to us in terms of the town size, club size, support base etc.
Brighton and Norwich are both City teams with a far richer history than our own and Watford nobody could really envy due to their ridiculous business model and way they operate in general. That said I would bet you a lot of our supporters would swap places with Watford in a heartbeat.

There is actually a bit of rivalry with Brighton, it stems back to when they were promoted the first time.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:26

I doon't think there is anything wrong with being envious or jealous of other sides success btw, it is natural. You look at Bournemouth and ask yourself "do they really deserve to be better than we are? They nearly fell out of the league 15 years ago". They got lucky with their ownership and we didn't, it hurts thus the rivalry.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 May 2022 10:26

This is where the rivalry survey stems from:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyLimbs/s ... 7461641216

It is Bournemouth (and Southampton) fans saying Reading are rivals, not the other way around

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2022 10:27

I believe that Paul's comment referenced an article where it mentions that we are in the top 4 rivalries of other clubs. Not from our fans. Wouldn't that make Bournemouth fans jealous of us?

I still don't see the rivalry or jealousy, tbh.

Yeah, I would like Reading to be in the position Bournemouth are in, but I am not jealous of them. I don't spend my waking hours wishing that we were them.

EDIT - what Morgan said.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:29

Hendo I believe that Paul's comment referenced an article where it mentions that we are in the top 4 rivalries of other clubs. Not from our fans. Wouldn't that make Bournemouth fans jealous of us?

Yeah, I would like Reading to be in the position Bournemouth are in, but I am not jealous of them. I don't spend my waking hours wishing that we were them.

You don't because you have a brain. A lot of Reading football Twitter supporters do not. Sides like Bournemouth, Brighton etc live in their heads rent free. In my opinion that is because they wish Reading were those clubs.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2022 10:29

But you've then got others like Luton, Brentford and Millwall who are better than what we are right now but aren't really considered as "rivals". I just don't see why it's specifically Bournemouth that you think is a rivalry, they are just another team doing better than us as far as I'm concerned.

I'd swap places with any of the aforementioned clubs in a heartbeat, but I don't consider them rivals. It's swings and roundabouts, we had our time a decade ago where we were at our best, reaching the PL and challenging in the Championship from 2005-2015 (give or take the odd poor year or two in that period, it's been our best decade possibly ever), now we are floundering but still better placed than we were back in the 90's and earlier.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:32

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul Nobody is going to outwardly say it are they? It is embarrassing. It is of course the reason though as there isn't any other explanation. There is no geographical rivalry, no real history of bad feeling at games. It comes down purely to jealousy of their success.

I would say it is because we realistically could be Bournemouth if things had gone differently for us. I would argue they are almost a direct equivilant to us in terms of the town size, club size, support base etc.
Brighton and Norwich are both City teams with a far richer history than our own and Watford nobody could really envy due to their ridiculous business model and way they operate in general. That said I would bet you a lot of our supporters would swap places with Watford in a heartbeat.

There is actually a bit of rivalry with Brighton, it stems back to when they were promoted the first time.

Your whole argument falls apart given the ‘timelines’
There has been a ‘rivalry’ since well before Bournemouth got promoted.
It then falls further apart because you’ve not actually understood the article !

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 May 2022 10:32

NathStPaul
Hendo I believe that Paul's comment referenced an article where it mentions that we are in the top 4 rivalries of other clubs. Not from our fans. Wouldn't that make Bournemouth fans jealous of us?

You don't because you have a brain. A lot of Reading football Twitter supporters do not. Sides like Bournemouth, Brighton etc live in their heads rent free. In my opinion that is because they wish Reading were those clubs.

Oh right, I mean you could've just said Twitter when I initially asked. I laugh at them already.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:33

I think a lot of it also comes down to the fact our actual rivals are a million miles away from us. Aldershot are nowhere, Swindon are in League 2, Oxford in League 1. It has been a while since an actual rival has been in the same division as us so of course we will look to other sides to hate. Bristol City seem to come into the mix these days, the M4 derby :roll:

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:33

YorkshireRoyal99 But you've then got others like Luton, Brentford and Millwall who are better than what we are right now but aren't really considered as "rivals". I just don't see why it's specifically Bournemouth that you think is a rivalry, they are just another team doing better than us as far as I'm concerned.

I'd swap places with any of the aforementioned clubs in a heartbeat, but I don't consider them rivals. It's swings and roundabouts, we had our time a decade ago where we were at our best, reaching the PL and challenging in the Championship from 2005-2015 (give or take the odd poor year or two in that period, it's been our best decade possibly ever), now we are floundering but still better placed than we were back in the 90's and earlier.

What ? You think there has never been a sense of rivalry with Brentford ???????

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 May 2022 10:34

I'd much rather be Brentford. A decent club. Decent fans. And not Brighton, Fulham, Bournemouth or Norwich.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:34

Nameless
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

It then falls further apart because you’ve not actually understood the article !

I haven't read the article.

I am talking about our supporters having rivalries with other clubs, not the other way around. Moron.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:36

Why would anyone want to ‘be’ another club ?
If you want to be Brighton or Watford then go and support them !
We have plenty of history, plenty of recent success and absolutely no reason to want to be another club !

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 May 2022 10:37

Nameless Why would anyone want to ‘be’ another club ?
If you want to be Brighton or Watford then go and support them !
We have plenty of history, plenty of recent success and absolutely no reason to want to be another club !

Nameless defending the club when nobody asked him to again.

Are you hoping someone from the club reads your bullshit and offers you a job? Arse licker.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 May 2022 10:38

NathStPaul
Nameless
NathStPaul I would say it is because we realistically could be Bournemouth if things had gone differently for us. I would argue they are almost a direct equivilant to us in terms of the town size, club size, support base etc.

I haven't read the article.

I am talking about our supporters having rivalries with other clubs, not the other way around. Moron.

So you are just posting nonsense for the sake of it ?
If there has been a rivalry of sorts with Bournemouth for years and years then saying it is because you think we want to ‘be’ them makes no sense.
Presumably Everton have a rivalry with Liverpool because they want to be them !

17257 posts