Rival Watch

17149 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Oct 2022 09:35

Sutekh HRK pointing out the Issues are possibly a lot more than Steve Bruce

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... s-25189795

I do think there is something in it but you can understand the clubs' stance about wanting to be run self-sufficiently. They spent a fair bit of money last summer and will no doubt have a few high earners still on the books as well from their recent PL days, so I suppose you can't just keep throwing money at it season after season, look at where ourselves, and to a greater extent, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have ended up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Oct 2022 10:02

Stranded
Zip
Stranded
It's just schadenfreunde isn't it, always happens in football.

I have absolutely no feeling towards those who have left and think we are actually better off this season as a result but get why people are finding it amusing that we are above all of their clubs. It's pantomime stuff really. Long way to go, all 3 could still finish above us.

On another note, Cardiff manager must be under a bit of pressure. No way the owners there sanctioned the massive recruitment drive to be sat in 22nd and have 1 win in 7 following their opening day win over Norwich.

In fairness to Morison Cardiff seemed to operate much like ourselves in the free transfer market. They haven't spent much

True - they signed a lot of them early though, so would think they are paying more than decent wages though. Imagine if they are still struggling by the WC break, he could be in trouble.

Steve Morison quietly relieved and replaced with caretaker Mark Hudson before the win v Blackburn

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 06 Oct 2022 10:08

YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
YorkshireRoyal99 Bruce just seems to keep surviving though. Considering his record has been pretty poor/woeful since the minute he walked through the door, you'd have imagined that the hierarchy would have pulled the trigger by now.

Wasn't this a similar pattern when Gourlay was here. We all knew we had to get rid of Stam but despite defeat after defeat and poor showing after poor showing, we kept him in post for a couple of months longer that he should have been. Be interesting to see if he learns from that or if he's hoping for an upturn in form so will keep in place until the WC break, when we will see quite a cull of underperforming managers.

Not sure if I'd pin that solely on Gourlay, but more the club itself, as Pauno was kept probably 6/7 weeks longer than he should have been (should have gone after the Kidderminster/Fulham defeats for me personally).

Wasn't the rumour that we couldn't actually afford to sack Pauno? In the end it seems he walked or there was some reduction in his termination fee for it to go ahead.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Oct 2022 10:47

Preston have scored 4 goals and conceded 4 goals in 13 games. lol

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Oct 2022 10:52

tidus_mi2
YorkshireRoyal99
Stranded
Wasn't this a similar pattern when Gourlay was here. We all knew we had to get rid of Stam but despite defeat after defeat and poor showing after poor showing, we kept him in post for a couple of months longer that he should have been. Be interesting to see if he learns from that or if he's hoping for an upturn in form so will keep in place until the WC break, when we will see quite a cull of underperforming managers.

Not sure if I'd pin that solely on Gourlay, but more the club itself, as Pauno was kept probably 6/7 weeks longer than he should have been (should have gone after the Kidderminster/Fulham defeats for me personally).

Wasn't the rumour that we couldn't actually afford to sack Pauno? In the end it seems he walked or there was some reduction in his termination fee for it to go ahead.

I didn't read into that too much really, there was also a rumour flirting that Pauno tried to resign after the Fulham defeat (I think?) but that was rejected by the board, so ultimately, we don't know. Although I think there is a general consensus that Pauno stayed for longer than he should have, whatever the reason is, we don't know.

However, we've kept 2 underperforming managers (Stam and Pauno) for significantly longer than we probably should have done, so I'd be inclined to think that the board were behind the decisions to keep these managers on for more time, but there's always a possibility that there may be other attributing factors.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 06 Oct 2022 11:38

Regular pain in the backside of RFC, Lee Tomlin retires.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Oct 2022 11:57

RIP sweet prince

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 06 Oct 2022 12:09

YorkshireRoyal99

I do think there is something in it but you can understand the clubs' stance about wanting to be run self-sufficiently. They spent a fair bit of money last summer and will no doubt have a few high earners still on the books as well from their recent PL days, so I suppose you can't just keep throwing money at it season after season, look at where ourselves, and to a greater extent, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby have ended up.

Whilst it could be argued they haven't spent much and brought in 3 or 4 free transfers (plus the 2 others mentioned in the article), two of the free transfers were Swift and Wallace, two of the best performing players in the Championship over the last couple of seasons. Now you could argue they haven't worked out, but that's not terrible business to get those two on frees, regardless of who else they actually paid money for.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Oct 2022 12:53

genome RIP sweet prince

:D Will never forgive him for that last minute equaliser at home to Cardiff. It was all downhill from there.

Enjoy your retirement though champ, you deserve it x

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Oct 2022 12:56

Brum Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Whilst it could be argued they haven't spent much and brought in 3 or 4 free transfers (plus the 2 others mentioned in the article), two of the free transfers were Swift and Wallace, two of the best performing players in the Championship over the last couple of seasons. Now you could argue they haven't worked out, but that's not terrible business to get those two on frees, regardless of who else they actually paid money for.

Depends on their wages as well tbf. If rumours of 60k pw for swift are true he is by no means a cheap option

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2022 16:37

Rotherham slipping back into familiar Rotherham territory

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Oct 2022 16:59

Down to 5th :cry:

But more importantly, West Brom could be bottom if Huddersfield win big (I know) and if Coventry get a couple of wins from their three home games in hand

Huddersfield home to Hull tomorrow and they’re no great shakes, so it’s possible

How is Bruce surviving this ?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 08 Oct 2022 17:12

With the top two losing it so close

In fact there are only 11 points between top and 21st

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Oct 2022 17:14

Franchise FC Down to 5th :cry:

But more importantly, West Brom could be bottom if Huddersfield win big (I know) and if Coventry get a couple of wins from their three home games in hand

Huddersfield home to Hull tomorrow and they’re no great shakes, so it’s possible

Really don’t want SB out until after next weekend. Last thing Reading need is the WBA squad out to impress anyone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Oct 2022 17:16

bcubed With the top two losing it so close

In fact there are only 11 points between top and 21st

And another great weekend of results passes Reading by.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Oct 2022 17:19

Man, if we had held onto that 1-0 lead, we would still be top on a -1 GD, would have been glorious.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2022 17:30

Franchise FC Down to 5th :cry:

Rumours on twatter that it’s about negotiating the pay off. Ie he wants the whole lot. Complicated by the fact his mate Fat Ron brought him in

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Oct 2022 17:44

Of the top 7 going into the weekend, the top 3 all lost then 4-7 all won. Probably not the best set of results for Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2022 18:00

TBH still just as interested in the bottom 3 as the top 7

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Oct 2022 18:31

Hound TBH still just as interested in the bottom 3 as the top 7

Far too early to be focusing on just one section

17149 posts