Rival Watch

17149 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by South Coast Royal » 29 Jun 2022 14:55

Stranded
Hound Yeahs he decent

Gourlay waving his magic cash spunking wand and bringing in Tom Lawrence from the look of it

3 players on hefty wages who prob won’t be up to PL standard if they do go up. All play pretty much the same position as well

Swift, Lawrence and Wallace in the same midfield - they must be going 4-2-3-1 and be very confident in their defenders/defensive midfielders as they aren't going to get much support from that 3.

A very good set of free transfer signings IMHO with 3 of the best in the Championship joining them.

With no fees involved and still 1 year left of parachute payment ,even after any signing-on fees and decent salaries they appear to represent good business and I would expect them to be up there challenging.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2022 14:58

South Coast Royal
Stranded
Hound Yeahs he decent

Gourlay waving his magic cash spunking wand and bringing in Tom Lawrence from the look of it

3 players on hefty wages who prob won’t be up to PL standard if they do go up. All play pretty much the same position as well

Swift, Lawrence and Wallace in the same midfield - they must be going 4-2-3-1 and be very confident in their defenders/defensive midfielders as they aren't going to get much support from that 3.

A very good set of free transfer signings IMHO with 3 of the best in the Championship joining them.

With no fees involved and still 1 year left of parachute payment ,even after any signing-on fees and decent salaries they appear to represent good business and I would expect them to be up there challenging.

Very good business. Not a single transfer fee involved. How much are the three worth in combined transfer values? £20 million?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 15:13

Zip
South Coast Royal
Stranded

Very good business. Not a single transfer fee involved. How much are the three worth in combined transfer values? £20 million?

Nowhere close to that imo or they’d have been snapped up higher up. None are young either

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Jun 2022 15:16

Hound
Zip
South Coast Royal

Nowhere close to that imo or they’d have been snapped up higher up. None are young either

"higher up" don't always know that much or consider Championship players...
We do and they are definitely players that I would be overjoyed to have with us this season whether or not they are worth £20 million.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 16:26

£20m for the 3 I'd say is a pretty good estimate. If Swift had a reasonable contract (in terms of length) with ourselves after the season he's had with us, how much do you think we'd be demanding? £10m for a team such as West Brom or higher? Probably.

Would imagine any reasonable length of contract on Lawrence and Wallace would mean their clubs would be demanding minimum £5m each for the pair as well.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2022 16:28

YorkshireRoyal99 £20m for the 3 I'd say is a pretty good estimate. If Swift had a reasonable contract (in terms of length) with ourselves after the season he's had with us, how much do you think we'd be demanding? £10m for a team such as West Brom or higher? Probably.

Would imagine any reasonable length of contract on Lawrence and Wallace would mean their clubs would be demanding minimum £5m each for the pair as well.

Yep. I don’t think it’s far off at all. All three are high end Championship players and Swift is at the perfect age to really make his mark. High end Championship players don’t come cheap. Their value would be affected by the length of their existing contracts of course.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 16:51

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 £20m for the 3 I'd say is a pretty good estimate. If Swift had a reasonable contract (in terms of length) with ourselves after the season he's had with us, how much do you think we'd be demanding? £10m for a team such as West Brom or higher? Probably.

Yep. I don’t think it’s far off at all. All three are high end Championship players and Swift is at the perfect age to really make his mark. High end Championship players don’t come cheap. Their value would be affected by the length of their existing contracts of course.

£10m for a 26 year old with a history of injury problems and one good half a season in the last 2 years?

In todays market, Would say if they all had say 2 years on contract it’d be about 5 for Swift, 3-4 for the other 2. No resell value on them.

All good players granted but none have got a team promoted and Lawrence and Wallace may have already seen their best days

Mind you seems that the Lawrence rumour might not be true anyway.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 29 Jun 2022 17:02

Hound
Zip

£10m for a 26 year old with a history of injury problems and one good half a season in the last 2 years?

In todays market, Would say if they all had say 2 years on contract it’d be about 5 for Swift, 3-4 for the other 2. No resell value on them.

All good players granted but none have got a team promoted and Lawrence and Wallace may have already seen their best days

Again, it depends who is buying. With it being a team with parachute payments or maybe a team in the PL, absolutely no reason why ourselves, Millwall and Derby could demand anywhere between £5-10m for any of the 3, providing our financial situations were relatively ok and they had a reasonable length of contract.

Obviously, if we were talking about selling all 3 players 12 months prior, then the values would naturally be less, particularly with ours and Derby's financial situation. In an ideal situation, they could all be worth £20m combined I'd say.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2022 17:07

Hound
Zip

Think those figures are low. What were Brighton willing to pay for Moore? Swift is regarded as one of the best midfielders at this level. I keep hearing about his injuries but he has averaged 31 League games a season with us which isn’t too bad.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 29 Jun 2022 17:10

Different times. What you could command then isn't the same as now, think you'd need to take about 25% off the value post covid restrictions.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2022 17:12

NathStPaul Different times. What you could command then isn't the same as now, think you'd need to take about 25% off the value post covid restrictions.

Fair comment.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 17:17

Zip
NathStPaul Different times. What you could command then isn't the same as now, think you'd need to take about 25% off the value post covid restrictions.

Fair comment.

Yeah exactly that

Leeds wanted Swift for 7m a few years ago after a decent season, so taking a couple of mil of that is where I got 5m

And 31 games is only 2/3 of a season which isn’t great really. Missing one on every 3

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2022 17:32

Hound
Zip

Fair comment.

Yeah exactly that

Leeds wanted Swift for 7m a few years ago after a decent season, so taking a couple of mil of that is where I got 5m

And 31 games is only 2/3 of a season which isn’t great really. Missing one on every 3

In the Championship I don’t think that’s a bad injury record. It’s an incredibly intense League.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 17:37

Hound
Zip

£12m to £15m for the lot seems reasonable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 18:18

Anyway all a bit moot the exact ‘value’ as they’ve moved now.

No doubts hefty signing on fees (Swift was rumoured to be 1m+) and long expensive contracts will cost WBA significantly over the next 3 years

Could well end up costing them £20m+ for all 3 over the next few years

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 29 Jun 2022 18:25

By how much do the parachute payments drop off between the second and third seasons out of the Premier League. Will it be shit or bust for WBA next season?

Nothing against WBA as a club and fan base as they’ve always seemed alright to me, much better than Wulfs up the road, but is this a bit of a gamble?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jun 2022 19:14

I don't think WBA came down with anything like the wage bill of the likes of Fulham or Bournemouth. They've historically been reasonably well run. Obviously employing Gourlay is going to take a huge sloppy shit all over that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2022 19:54

Hound Anyway all a bit moot the exact ‘value’ as they’ve moved now.

No doubts hefty signing on fees (Swift was rumoured to be 1m+) and long expensive contracts will cost WBA significantly over the next 3 years

Hang on, if we take wildly differing views we can get another 3 pages.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 29 Jun 2022 19:58

Which isn't that much if they get promoted where they might expect at least £140 million per year if they were to stay up and a load of parachute payments if they don't.
I think they have every chance this season in a moderate division and their chances have been greatly enhanced by these signings even if it is two and not three.

At Championship level Swift and Wallace are amongst the very best.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2022 20:22

South Coast Royal

Which isn't that much if they get promoted where they might expect at least £140 million per year if they were to stay up and a load of parachute payments if they don't.
I think they have every chance this season in a moderate division and their chances have been greatly enhanced by these signings even if it is two and not three.

At Championship level Swift and Wallace are amongst the very best.

Oh yeah of course, if they go up then it’ll be fully justified and they’ll prove to be very good signings

Would say all 3 is overkill but if it is just swift and Wallace, then on balance you’d say fair enough

Do feel they’ll need to go up this year mind you

17149 posts