Re: Rival Watch

by Hound » 15 Jan 2023 10:08

And then you get massively punished if you fail as well

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 15 Jan 2023 10:19

Sutekh
The Royal Forester Surely, it can't be another new manager appointed a few days before we play them next month? How many would that make it this season four, five?

Think it could be 6 if they take a month or so to get the right man - it’s been Stoke, Sunderland, Huddersfield, Luton, Hull so far.

Didn't West Brom. sack Bruce just before we played them in October? Perhaps they hadn't appointed a new manager by then, but had appointed a caretaker before we played them. Are other clubs thinking "we can't be beaten by little ol' Reading, let's sack the man in charge, so we stand a chance"?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rival

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Jan 2023 11:08

Jackson Corner
Hound So Burnley and sheff utd up, Watford, Norwich, Boro and wba play offs?

How desperately dull

It is the championship is becoming almost impossible to get promoted for clubs without parachute payments. Even if West Brom or Norwich don’t go up this year they will next season. Look how good Brentford were over five seasons yet still had to go up via the playoffs. With FFP you can’t do a Wolves and buy promotion any more.

Not necessarily. Southampton, Everton, West Ham or Wolves going down would be more likely to bounce back

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2023 12:19

Sutekh
The Royal Forester Surely, it can't be another new manager appointed a few days before we play them next month? How many would that make it this season four, five?

Think it could be 6 if they take a month or so to get the right man - it’s been Stoke, Sunderland, Huddersfield, Luton, Hull so far.

Blackpool as well, Critchley was also a recent appointment at QPR although obviously doesn't fall under the same category, it still goes on the principle of "a new manager in the dugout".

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 15 Jan 2023 13:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh

Blackpool as well, Critchley was also a recent appointment at QPR although obviously doesn't fall under the same category, it still goes on the principle of "a new manager in the dugout".

I seem to remember a couple of wins against Stoke and Huddersfield. A defeat against WBA, who had just sacked Bruce, but before a new manager was appointed. How did we fare against the others, anyone know?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 15 Jan 2023 13:42

The Royal Forester
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh

I seem to remember a couple of wins against Stoke and Huddersfield. A defeat against WBA, who had just sacked Bruce, but before a new manager was appointed. How did we fare against the others, anyone know?

Blackpool L, Stoke W, Huddersfield W, Sunderland L, West Brom L, Luton D, Hull W, Norwich D and now QPR (if you count them) D.

So overall, quite a good record really given what you'd expect. 3 wins, 3 draws, 3 defeats.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 15 Jan 2023 13:59

Thanks Yorkie, couldn't be any closer. Here's hoping the wins take the lead when we play Cardiff.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Jan 2023 12:53

WBA’s Brandon Thomas-Asante has been given a 3 match ban retrospectively after the referee failed to take action against him for the violent conduct on Chesterfield defender Jake King in the FA Cup tie earlier this month. He missed the league game at Luton, the cup replay v Chesterfield and will also be unavailable for the Baggies game with Burnley on Friday.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 18 Jan 2023 15:15

Michael Appleton: Blackpool sack head coach just seven months after appointment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64317051

Surprisingly we're not due to play them until the end of Feb.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 Jan 2023 15:58

morganb Michael Appleton: Blackpool sack head coach just seven months after appointment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64317051

Surprisingly we're not due to play them until the end of Feb.

Appleton has always struck me as someone who lands jobs as a football manager with zero justification.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 Jan 2023 16:00

Bournemouth are looking to make an offer for Bristol City forward Semenyo, Southampton are also rumoured to be interested. Alex Scott has also been attracting interest of Premier League sides such as Crystal Palace.

Whilst selling both might go some way to supporting their chances of complying with FFP, what would this do to their survival chances if they were to lose these players.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 18 Jan 2023 16:18

Appears that Neil Warnock is heading back to Cardiff - for "one final swansong" and "unfinished business".

Be interesting to see how he does there if it does happen, as rumoured to come here last season when we were in a similar position.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 Jan 2023 16:55

paultheroyal Appears that Neil Warnock is heading back to Cardiff - for "one final swansong" and "unfinished business".

Be interesting to see how he does there if it does happen, as rumoured to come here last season when we were in a similar position.

Oh oxf*rd me I thought we were done with Warnock, ended on a win too, guess that might change.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jan 2023 08:24

If true looks like the return of old skool managers with Mick McCarthy apparently going to Blackpool.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Jan 2023 08:53

I read that Wilder was the favourite for the Blackpool job.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jan 2023 09:28

YorkshireRoyal99 I read that Wilder was the favourite for the Blackpool job.

That would be a very good appointment for them.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Jan 2023 13:35

Zip
YorkshireRoyal99 I read that Wilder was the favourite for the Blackpool job.

That would be a very good appointment for them.

Yep - Wigan seem to be bringing some players through the door with Gelhardt coming in now, Blackpool have done a bit of business so far like they've needed to do as have Huddersfield. I fear for Cardiff as I'm not sure what they are going to do this month and they could very easily go down at this rate whilst the others bring in fresh faces around them.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Jan 2023 13:36

Had an interesting read on my dinner about Ron Gourlay at West Brom, specifically talking about the threat of administration if the club do not get promoted this year, the need for new investment, the loans and ill-feeling towards the owners etc. It doesn't sound like it's too rosy there behind the scenes and definitely won't be if they don't go back up this season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jan 2023 13:58

YorkshireRoyal99 Had an interesting read on my dinner about Ron Gourlay at West Brom, specifically talking about the threat of administration if the club do not get promoted this year, the need for new investment, the loans and ill-feeling towards the owners etc. It doesn't sound like it's too rosy there behind the scenes and definitely won't be if they don't go back up this season.

Think that position was always going to be fairly likely after last season’s failure to go up given their expensive squad and the fact that their parachute payments end this season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 Jan 2023 14:28

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99 Had an interesting read on my dinner about Ron Gourlay at West Brom, specifically talking about the threat of administration if the club do not get promoted this year, the need for new investment, the loans and ill-feeling towards the owners etc. It doesn't sound like it's too rosy there behind the scenes and definitely won't be if they don't go back up this season.

Think that position was always going to be fairly likely after last season’s failure to go up given their expensive squad and the fact that their parachute payments end this season.

I didn't know administration was even in the conversation to be honest. I know taking out loans from other companies is never a good sign to help with the running of the club, however I didn't think the situation was quite that dire for them if they don't achieve promotion this time.

Gourlay has also spoken about his intent to reduce losses and the wage bill of the club as well, which he says he's so far done a good job of managing and lowering, so he says anyway.

17149 posts