Rival Watch

17149 posts
Franconian Royal

Re: Rival Watch

by Franconian Royal » 18 May 2022 09:59

Franchise FC
Franconian Royal Would much prefer Forest, they play a very nice brand of football.

Not last night they didn’t

Didn't get to see the match, but from what I saw when we played them at the City Ground this season, they were unfortunate to not get auto spot against Tinpot Town (Bournemouth)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 May 2022 10:01

Royal_jimmy I would like to see Huddersfield do it again. Their fans are a decent bunch.

It shows what can be done by good management and coaching.
As with Luton and Forest very little money spent on transfers so no excuses for Ince. :wink:

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 18 May 2022 10:24

Enjoyable game last night, the playoffs are great when you're not involved in them!

Don't mind which side goes up, would probably just prefer Forest for the job Cooper has done there and the run they've been on to get to where they are. It's probably also their turn having been out for so long.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 18 May 2022 10:26

Franchise FC
tidus_mi2 Sheffield maintain their 0% play-off record, 8/8 failures

According to the commentary last light it’s 9 out of 9

Makes us look positively successful

Joint worst final record with us on 4/4 final defeats as well I believe.

Preston were the worst with 9 failed playoffs before getting up at the 10th attempt when they came back to the Champ. Should think Sheff Utd stand as the worst record now (without a success at least), if they weren't already.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 May 2022 10:36

So as much as people talk about parachute payments ruining the Championship, that's now 2/3 sides who haven't gone up this season who were relegated last season, Sheff United and West Brom, as well as Bournemouth who didn't go up the year before either.

I'm not sure which other Championship clubs still benefit from parachute payments, but the one's I can think of are Huddersfield, Cardiff, Stoke, Middlesbrough and Swansea who have gone down in recent seasons, granted some may have run out in the last season or so.

Not to mention that 3 out of the 4 sides in the play offs finished in the bottom half last season. Maybe there is beginning to be a bit more of a change?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 May 2022 11:06

Kind of funny that both Huddersfield and Forest had a pitch invasion for making the final but ultimately one of them is going to lose at Wembley.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 May 2022 13:17

South Coast Royal
Royal_jimmy I would like to see Huddersfield do it again. Their fans are a decent bunch.

As with Luton and Forest very little money spent on transfers so no excuses for Ince. :wink:

Luton yes......but aren't Forest and Huddersfield both about to fall into the FFP trap. I'd heard the last 3 managers alone in payoffs have cost Forest over 13 million.

They claim to have lost 35mill (39m being the cap) but some of these figures seem odd.....especially their 12 mill loan that was converted to shares.....stinks Derbyesque accounting.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 18 May 2022 14:16

Ascotexgunner
South Coast Royal

Luton yes......but aren't Forest and Huddersfield both about to fall into the FFP trap. I'd heard the last 3 managers alone in payoffs have cost Forest over 13 million.

They claim to have lost 35mill (39m being the cap) but some of these figures seem odd.....especially their 12 mill loan that was converted to shares.....stinks Derbyesque accounting.

They also sold Joao Carvallho, their £13.2m signing to Olympiakos for an "undisclosed fee"

Olympiakos are also owned by the Forest owner so it's dodgy as oxf*rd. I would say significantly shadier than the loan fee we got from Renhe for Aluko.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 18 May 2022 15:12

Ascotexgunner
South Coast Royal

Not sure if either club are about to fall foul of FFP but I know Huddersfield are looking for new investment at the moment, so who knows where that might go over the summer if they don't go up and Forest have been spending a fair sum of cash for a few seasons now and I can't imagine their wage bill is small either, but I haven't looked at the stats but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The PO final seems to remind me of when we played Huddersfield in 2017. The winner will be delighted, the loser will be knackered.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 May 2022 13:59

YorkshireRoyal99
Ascotexgunner
South Coast Royal

Not sure if either club are about to fall foul of FFP but I know Huddersfield are looking for new investment at the moment, so who knows where that might go over the summer if they don't go up and Forest have been spending a fair sum of cash for a few seasons now and I can't imagine their wage bill is small either, but I haven't looked at the stats but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The PO final seems to remind me of when we played Huddersfield in 2017. The winner will be delighted, the loser will be knackered.

Let’s hope it doesn’t turn into another borefest like Huddersfield’s last play off final when both they and Reading seemed to settle for penalties right from the start and thus avoid any excitement or risk of a goal in normal time.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 May 2022 15:07

Come on Huddersfield! Please stop the Sky/apparent national love-in with Forest who deserve to be back where they belong despite having been nowhere near the Prem in nearly 30 years!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 May 2022 16:18

John Smith Come on Huddersfield! Please stop the Sky/apparent national love-in with Forest who deserve to be back where they belong despite having been nowhere near the Prem in nearly 30 years!

For this reason alone i think i want Huddersfield, which is odd because always had a soft spot for Forest.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 May 2022 22:21

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
Ascotexgunner

Let’s hope it doesn’t turn into another borefest like Huddersfield’s last play off final when both they and Reading seemed to settle for penalties right from the start and thus avoid any excitement or risk of a goal in normal time.

Stam didn't get nearly enough shit for his tactics that day. Huddersfield were there for the taking.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 May 2022 22:41

Swindon lose in the L2 play-off semi-final

Lulz

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 19 May 2022 22:45

tidus_mi2 Swindon lose in the L2 play-off semi-final

Lulz

Would rather our rivals were successful tbh, would be nice to have a rival in the same league as us. Makes it a bit more interesting.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 19 May 2022 23:09

NathStPaul
tidus_mi2 Swindon lose in the L2 play-off semi-final

Lulz

Would rather our rivals were successful tbh, would be nice to have a rival in the same league as us. Makes it a bit more interesting.

With you here Nath, would love to have the whole "Thames Valley Triangle" going on in the Chump!! Oxford have been threatening for a while but seem to shit the bed in May.
Swindon looking way off the pace but could come good now they've got there backroom issues sorted. I believe the fans have some control of the club and they've been getting some pretty impressive support this season.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 20 May 2022 01:03

It would certainly be nice to play our historical rivals in the league again but I think it's still fair to laugh at their misfortune.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 May 2022 01:32

NathStPaul
Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99

Stam didn't get nearly enough shit for his tactics that day. Huddersfield were there for the taking.

Understood the cagey affair given the magnitude of the game but as you say, they were certainly there for the taking and Stam played for penalties. Awful like for like subs when we should have gone for it. Sure Stam regrets it now mind

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 May 2022 09:00

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
Sutekh

Understood the cagey affair given the magnitude of the game but as you say, they were certainly there for the taking and Stam played for penalties. Awful like for like subs when we should have gone for it. Sure Stam regrets it now mind

Indeed and yet we were hopeless at taking pens that season

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 May 2022 09:09

I never felt confident with either Moore or Obita, not just because they were defenders, but they never looked composed. Obita just never looked as if he was going to score and his penalty was probably the worst of the lot imo.

We definitely should have done more in the 120 minutes though. Huddersfield had two golden chances in the opening 15 minutes, that should have been a wake up call for us to take the initiative. It felt as if Stam went for what worked against Fulham, rather than what worked for us all season.

17149 posts