Rival Watch

17149 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rival Watch

by leon » 21 Jan 2020 08:42

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth Anyone else hoping both Leeds and West Brom fail to get automatic promotion now? Would be hilarious.

It would be unjust if that happened to Leeds, this is their year. I think that club with a big summer transfer window could easily replicate Sheffield United's achievements.

Running out of steam. A season lasts a season not 4 months. Leeds to fail the play offs and Bielsa to leave.

They then bring in Gareth Ainsworth who gets them relegated.

Leeds return to their rightful place in the 3rd tier for another 15 years of glory.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 08:42

Barney Please please please...can the poster who loves LUFC and tells us on and on and on and on how great Leeds are......just now stop telling us.

You really don't need to tell us every day. Honestly, you don't. Change the record.

We are discussing Championship rivals in the Rivals Watch thread. Nobody has to stop discussing anything on your say so.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 08:44

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I'm not saying this to join in the Leeds bashing but I think that's slightly disrespectful to Sheffield United.

While Bielsa is obviously a top manager and coach, he is doing it with players that most in the league would quite like. Wilder did it, and is still doing it, with players most in the league wouldnt have wanted to sign.

If Leeds go up and invest heavily I think they could survive. But if Brentford go up I reckon they would be more likely to do well. Better run club with a significantly better record of signing players.

I meant achievements in terms of holding their own in the Premier League, I think that is a good benchmark for any promoted team. Sheffield United are now the standard bearer for Championship teams getting promoted, they are more than respected. I also agree Wilder is a top drawer manager who is already manager of the year IMO.

100%. I know Klopp is on his way to go unbeaten in the league and is clearly one of the best managers in the world but Wilder has turned Enda Stevens into a premier league LWB. I dont think I need to ask which is more impressive.

I just hope he stays there, I honestly don't think he would be afforded the same freedoms to implement his own ideas at a bigger club. He is massivley old school which suits the club and players where he is.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 08:53

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I meant achievements in terms of holding their own in the Premier League, I think that is a good benchmark for any promoted team. Sheffield United are now the standard bearer for Championship teams getting promoted, they are more than respected. I also agree Wilder is a top drawer manager who is already manager of the year IMO.

100%. I know Klopp is on his way to go unbeaten in the league and is clearly one of the best managers in the world but Wilder has turned Enda Stevens into a premier league LWB. I dont think I need to ask which is more impressive.

I just hope he stays there, I honestly don't think he would be afforded the same freedoms to implement his own ideas at a bigger club. He is massivley old school which suits the club and players where he is.

I follow Blades Analytics on twitter (who is great btw) and he was getting worried about Wilders contract situation before they announced the new deal.

Wilder could certainly build years of stability there but I had thought the same about Dyche at Burnley. He is another manager who improved players he had but I dont think he used the transfer market very effectively. Wilder pulled off a great coup with Mousset but this summer will be the big test for him. Basham, Jags and McGoldrick cant go on much longer surely and Henderson will probably be retained by Man Utd. Plenty of work to be done.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 08:54

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews I meant achievements in terms of holding their own in the Premier League, I think that is a good benchmark for any promoted team. Sheffield United are now the standard bearer for Championship teams getting promoted, they are more than respected. I also agree Wilder is a top drawer manager who is already manager of the year IMO.

He's also 64, so unless the go up this year he may just day fcuk this shit and either retire or take a job back in Argentina.

Didn't realise until looking at his profile, how little he has won in his career. One Argentine Apertura, 2 Clausura and an Olympic Gold with Argentina. Otherwise nothing. Not a massive return in a 28 year coaching career.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 08:56

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth 100%. I know Klopp is on his way to go unbeaten in the league and is clearly one of the best managers in the world but Wilder has turned Enda Stevens into a premier league LWB. I dont think I need to ask which is more impressive.

He's also 64, so unless the go up this year he may just day fcuk this shit and either retire or take a job back in Argentina.

Didn't realise until looking at his profile, how little he has won in his career. One Argentine Apertura, 2 Clausura and an Olympic Gold with Argentina. Otherwise nothing. Not a massive return in a 28 year coaching career.

Why is Chris Wilder going to Argentina? :D

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jan 2020 09:02

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Why is Chris Wilder going to Argentina? :D

Ha, ha oops - was still on a Leeds note there and missed the shift to Wilder. Ah well.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jan 2020 13:11

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I'm not saying this to join in the Leeds bashing but I think that's slightly disrespectful to Sheffield United.

While Bielsa is obviously a top manager and coach, he is doing it with players that most in the league would quite like. Wilder did it, and is still doing it, with players most in the league wouldnt have wanted to sign.

If Leeds go up and invest heavily I think they could survive. But if Brentford go up I reckon they would be more likely to do well. Better run club with a significantly better record of signing players.

I meant achievements in terms of holding their own in the Premier League, I think that is a good benchmark for any promoted team. Sheffield United are now the standard bearer for Championship teams getting promoted, they are more than respected. I also agree Wilder is a top drawer manager who is already manager of the year IMO.

Leeds could survive. But honestly I can also see them (if they go up) doing a Fulham. Or a Norwich.

Don’t agree that Wilder’s record this season has been better than Klopp’s, both very impressive managers but if Klopp can go unbeaten through the whole season, nothing can trump that

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 Jan 2020 13:16

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

Leeds could survive. But honestly I can also see them (if they go up) doing a Fulham. Or a Norwich.

Don’t agree that Wilder’s record this season has been better than Klopp’s, both very impressive managers but if Klopp can go unbeaten through the whole season, nothing can trump that

Sheffield United finishing top 6 would be arguably the 2nd greatest achievement in Premier League history.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2020 13:30

NewCorkSeth Anyone else hoping both Leeds and West Brom fail to get automatic promotion now? Would be hilarious.

Leeds maybe. I like WBA, good fans and they've got an ex Reading player in their squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2020 13:35

Certainly prefer WBA to Leeds or Fulham. Or probably Forest.

Could live with Brentford going up above them

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jan 2020 13:57

Snowflake Royal

Leeds maybe. I like WBA, good fans and they've got an ex Reading player in their squad.

Technically 4 ex Reading players

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jan 2020 13:58

Hound Certainly prefer WBA to Leeds or Fulham. Or probably Forest.

Forest are nearly as bad as Leeds, awful club, awful fans

WBA > Brentford > Fulham > Forest/Leeds

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 14:11

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth 100%. I know Klopp is on his way to go unbeaten in the league and is clearly one of the best managers in the world but Wilder has turned Enda Stevens into a premier league LWB. I dont think I need to ask which is more impressive.

Sheffield United finishing top 6 would be arguably the 2nd greatest achievement in Premier League history.

I repeat. Enda Stevens has been quality. Any coach who can do that wins the manager of the season award in my book.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 21 Jan 2020 14:13

Snowflake Royal

Meant more funny in the sense that a month ago the 2 looked like they wouldnt be caught.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2020 17:32

URZZZZ

Probably put Fulham and Forest joint (along with Wednesday and Derby) and Leeds in their own weight class

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jan 2020 18:39

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Probably put Fulham and Forest joint (along with Wednesday and Derby) and Leeds in their own weight class

I don’t think there’s too much wrong with Fulham, just a bit odd and a precious bunch who were convinced they were some sort of Barcelona remake when we nullified their tactics back in the PO

In terms of size and stature though, they’re not too dissimilar to us, along with Brentford

Forest, on the other hand, think they’re some sort of sleeping giant and are entitled to be in the Premier League

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jan 2020 18:52

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

I don’t think there’s too much wrong with Fulham, just a bit odd and a precious bunch who were convinced they were some sort of Barcelona remake when we nullified their tactics back in the PO

In terms of size and stature though, they’re not too dissimilar to us, along with Brentford

Forest, on the other hand, think they’re some sort of sleeping giant and are entitled to be in the Premier League

Fair, give it a few years and I probably won't give a toss about Fulham. And they don't have the history to sustain the sort of sense of entitlement the likes of Leeds, Forest and co have.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 21 Jan 2020 19:10

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Living up here, the majority of Forest fans I’ve met are very decent - I don’t see any sense of entitlement at all, if anything they don’t get excited as they’re used to failure!

Remember they are in the top 5 in terms of club size, and bigger than half of the prem clubs if you were to base it purely on fanbase.

Compared to the Sheffield clubs when I lived their, they had over-inflated egos, Forest fans fair very well. Plus it’s a great away day

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jan 2020 20:12

Agreed on Fulham - actually used to quite like them a few years ago

However not had much time for them In recent years - since that play off year a few years back really - the arrogance around them at the time doesn’t seem to have dispersed yet

17149 posts