BFTG - Brentford

129 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by RoyalBlue » 15 Feb 2017 07:57

Reading some more of the contributions on this thread, I suspect some of the authors were amongst the morons who thought it would be productive, and fair, to start booing our players when we went 2-1 down. :twisted:

I'm sure many of those booing last night were absolutely delighted that they could finally start expressing their displeasure at Stam's team, tactics and style!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Feb 2017 08:10

Never heard any booing last night, frustration, screams of move it or quicker, but not having booing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Feb 2017 08:13

paultheroyal Never heard any booing last night, frustration, screams of move it or quicker, but not having booing.

Can confirm booing in Y20, rows BB and backwards during the second half when a ball was misplaced on a few occasions. Also people booing Grabban when he got substituted, which I thought was pretty harsh. And one particular angry fan kept calling Gunter a retard and brain dead, which I thought was a tad close to the mark.
Last edited by Hendo on 15 Feb 2017 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 15 Feb 2017 08:14

Would anyone be able to put up a photo of how offside their 2nd goal was- I estimate a good 3 yards. I think however that it was balanced out by our winner also being well offside- a photo of that also would confirm my suspicion.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 15 Feb 2017 08:32

Royals and Racers Would anyone be able to put up a photo of how offside their 2nd goal was- I estimate a good 3 yards. I think however that it was balanced out by our winner also being well offside- a photo of that also would confirm my suspicion.

Apologies for the poor quality of the screen grabs

Their 2nd goal (Onside for me)

Our 3rd goal (again onside for me)

The penalty that wasn't given (errrr......)

George_

by George_ » 15 Feb 2017 08:37

We were all moaning last season when we didn't have any lucky and kept conceding late goals to lose it. Well this season we're having bucket loads of luck and keep winning. Who cares how when we keep grinding out these results.

6 unbeaten going into the Huddersfield and Brighton games now. 1 win from those 2 would be brilliant.

Evans needs to be the 1st name on the team sheet from now on. We were crying out for someone to settle the defence, break up any play in front of them. That's his job and he does it very well. He's a must start for these 2 next away games.

Jaap got it wrong with playing players out of position, but he made the triple sub and we won the game. If Guardiola had made a triple sub and came from behind to win the game people would be saying he's a genius. Jaap made a mistake but corrected it and won the game. He deserves credit for that.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 08:45

10539.4 Miles Away
Royals and Racers Would anyone be able to put up a photo of how offside their 2nd goal was- I estimate a good 3 yards. I think however that it was balanced out by our winner also being well offside- a photo of that also would confirm my suspicion.

Wow. Happy to admit I'm wrong on that one - he looked a mile offside in the flesh, and I was right in line with it!

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 15 Feb 2017 08:49

genome
10539.4 Miles Away

Wow. Happy to admit I'm wrong on that one - he looked a mile offside in the flesh, and I was right in line with it!

100% agreed, just watching the highlights I thought it was well offside, I was surprised when I hit pause, its a brilliantly timed run.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 15 Feb 2017 08:59

10539.4 Miles Away
genome
10539.4 Miles Away

100% agreed, just watching the highlights I thought it was well offside, I was surprised when I hit pause, its a brilliantly timed run.

Looks offside from that shot

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Feb 2017 09:01

bcubed
10539.4 Miles Away
genome

It's not. Follow the line of the grass on the pitch from our player at the top down to the Brentford player. He's level.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 09:07

I know we were pretty bad for most of the game but I thought Brentford were excellent.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2017 09:09

my impression at the time was the penalty wasn't given due to the ridiculous swan dive their player did. Looked a nothing incident at the ground to me, though was a way from it.

Highlights suggest there was a bit of a push - if it had been given, would have been fuming with Mutch.

Agree to an extent with Brentford being good - but I always felt any sustained pressure on their defence and they would crack - and they did. As good an attacking side I've seen, but the worst defensive side I've seen at the Mad Stad. Spent most of the game thinking 'how are this lot 15th', but then my question was answered between the 77th and 81st minutes.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 15 Feb 2017 09:11

Yep, their second looked a mile offside in real time but full credit to the lino for keeping a good eye on the offside line, same for our third but even in real time it looked onside.

Also can confirm I heard the boos at 2-1 down, people started booing when players would pass back, it was like going back to the beginning of the season and like the beginning of the season those boos turned quickly to cheers because our fans seem to only have two modes at times, "Boo" and YEAHHHHHH"

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Feb 2017 09:14

genome
bcubed
10539.4 Miles Away

It's not. Follow the line of the grass on the pitch from our player at the top down to the Brentford player. He's level.

How do you know the grass line is straight. It may be wonky or have a bend in it.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Feb 2017 09:15

That push that wasn't given as a pen is bizarre. Clearly it was a pen. It was as if the Reading player just got fed up with playing properly and decided to push the Brentford player over. What the ref was thinking in not giving it I've got no idea.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Feb 2017 09:51

Norfolk Royal That push that wasn't given as a pen is bizarre. Clearly it was a pen. It was as if the Reading player just got fed up with playing properly and decided to push the Brentford player over. What the ref was thinking in not giving it I've got no idea.

Maybe it was such a clear pen that the referee found it amusing and just rewarded his audacity.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Feb 2017 09:59

CountryRoyal
Norfolk Royal That push that wasn't given as a pen is bizarre. Clearly it was a pen. It was as if the Reading player just got fed up with playing properly and decided to push the Brentford player over. What the ref was thinking in not giving it I've got no idea.

Maybe it was such a clear pen that the referee found it amusing and just rewarded his audacity.

I think so yes, or he just thought it was so obvious he couldn't be bothered to give it. I actually think if the Brentford player had got up and placed the ball on the spot everyone would have lined up for the penalty to be taken.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 15 Feb 2017 10:04

Most people in general agreement it seems ! The first half at Ipswich was the worst I've seen all season with players playing out of position and a midfield that just didn't seem in sync with each other. JS had to make a substitution at half time as a result. So why did he start last night with pretty much the exact same team and set up ???
Williams can't play wing back, Gunter can't play CB and McCleary isn't a CF. He gets the timing of his runs all wrong and generally jogs around in offside positions. Put Williams back in CM and he scores with a trademark run. Put McCleary back on the right wing slot and he creates two of our goals. Is football that complicated ?
I also can't work out why Evans has been out of the team since scoring the winner at Blackburn. He constantly plays well and he is also improving. I hope we have him sat in front of the back four next week and that McShane is back so that the Gunter / Williams problem can be resolved.
Aside from that, what a cracking game compared to Saturday !

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Feb 2017 10:09

genome
bcubed Looks offside from that shot

I still think it looks a yard offside!

Absolutely delighted with the win last night and really important to go to Huddersfield with us breathing down their necks. I really hope we can get something up there now. Come the evening of Saturday 25th I think we'll have a good idea of how this season is going to finish. If we take 6 points from the next two then it's really time to start pinching ourselves.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 15 Feb 2017 10:14

Play like that, with players out of position, and the only thing we'll get from the next two games is a hammering !

129 posts