BFTG Fulham

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Fulham

by bobby1413 » 14 May 2017 09:38

I really hope Reading don't put out clappers - I recall about 4-5 years ago (or something like that) they did

It proves the point that it can be bad to generate MORE noise at a football ground, mainly as it's just annoying and artificial

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 May 2017 09:38

RoyalBlue I'm sure the away support was great but at times couldn't hear them that much on the tv. I suspect Sky didn't put a mic near them for fear it would expose the mighty Fulham myth and drown out the cardboard clappers! :twisted:

I think that's a valid point. Listen to the goal, you can't really hear the away end roar that loudly.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 14 May 2017 09:41

Was sat in the 'neutral' section and although the Reading fan's were stood and singing throughout it didn't sound that loud from even where I was sat. I guess due to acoustics and a relatively small away allocation.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 14 May 2017 10:02

RG7Fan Pretty happy with the result given our recent history.

Was watching on Sky so have seen endless replays of McShane - a harsh red but can see why it might have been given. The way the ref ran over there was never any doubt it was going to be serious.

Thought the ref had a shocker - lots given against us, but lots by them ignored.

All to play for on Tuesday - I do feel we are Wembley bound ...

Having seen other angles and pics it does look pretty bad - bugger, could have done with him now he's back.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 14 May 2017 10:07

Very good away performance with tactics spot on. A back 3 with wing backs was obvious but sitting Evans on Cairney really stopped them playing. I haven't seen the goal back but immediately felt McShane was at fault after which he made a stupid tackle in a nothing area of the pitch. I felt at that stage that we had every chance of getting a second with Mendes on the pitch. Fulham were having to press and we were starting to look more and more dangerous on the break. The positive is that the 10 men held out quite comfortably. Big shout out to Mendes when he got taken off as well. No hissy fits. He understood as did the fans. His reaction summed up the togetherness of the group I thought.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 14 May 2017 10:49

not sure I fully buy into 'team spirit' or 'togetherness of group'.

If you're doing well there will be good team spirit if results are
poor there will be bad team spirit. Not sure how you would
actually test for causation.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 14 May 2017 11:55

A much better performance than expected.
I thought Williams set the tone right from the off and that everybody (even Gunter) played well.
Maybe we did overdo the time-wasting and really it didn't work from a time point of view (3 minutes added in the first and 5 in the second) but it did stop Fulham building up a head of steam.
Seeing it live I thought McShane was off balance being held by a Fulham player when he made his challenge but that might be a bit of RTG kicking in.

I think Tuesday might be a quite different game with both teams less nervy and hopefully McCleary will start and provide width.
My paper this morning suggested that either team would have to spend big to have the remotest chance of staying up and the writer was probably right but I would trust Stam and his oppo to know the European market well enough to upgrade our side as long as the owners give him a realistic amount to work with-the club as a whole must have learned from our last 2 promotions.

Still, just the little matter of a couple more games before that problem arises.

BTW the little bit of bother mentioned earlier came about because some div threw a water bottle into our section and the stewards (Reading ones as well amongst them) saw nothing and did nothing.

Also I hope the two fans who asked me the way to Wansworth found their mate who was arrested before the game. :roll:

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 14 May 2017 12:11

Seeing it live I thought McShane was off balance being held by a Fulham player when he made his challenge but that might be a bit of RTG kicking in.

I thought the same.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 May 2017 12:24

bobby1413 I really hope Reading don't put out clappers - I recall about 4-5 years ago (or something like that) they did

It proves the point that it can be bad to generate MORE noise at a football ground, mainly as it's just annoying and artificial

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 14 May 2017 12:25

Yep it could have been given as a foul on Mcshane, as could the challenge on Williams directly afterwards so fair play to Atwell for playing the two advantages. Thought the team was well set up yesterday to do a job on Fulham and that's exactly what we did. No out and out wingers on the pitch for us, a solid spine to the team with Williams and Evans breaking their play up and Kermogant getting the flick- ons for Grabban to chase. Hell of a lot of bed wetting from the Fulham fans about our tactics, but fair play to Stam, he got it spot on from our point of view.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 May 2017 12:31

Really pleased with the majority of that performance. It was incredibly disciplined. Not very happy about the more cynical aspects of it like the time wasting.

We were in control for most of the match, managing Fulham well. We should have done a bit better in our build up for a few chances, Grabban in particular. It was frustrating that Kermie spent so much of his time deep or wide when it's him we should have in the box not Grabban.

Our goal seemed quite controversial. Fulham could have had a freekick for a challenge on their player, then Williams could have had a freekick for a challenge on him, then he could have given away a freekick for handball and then we could have had a freekick for a challenge on McShane. Simply brilliantly taken goal from Obita who was outstanding throughout.

One moment of madness led to them scoring, with no one tracking a run from a give and go in the build up. The commos were banging on endlessly about Aluko doing better with his first half chance, but given there was a clear offside in the build up it was natural justice he missed.

McShane unlucky to see red, off balance from a challenge he is a touch late to get the ball and in falling back his leg follows through up into the Fulham player. Personally I don't think that's reckless or dangerous, it's just unfortunate, and should be a max yellow. But I suppose the officials saw it differently and these days if you make that sort of contact it doesn't matter why.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 May 2017 12:32

Also Fulham's best chance of the match followed a clear offside - they could've easily scored it, they just didn't take advantage, we did with ours.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 14 May 2017 12:34

WAZZOCK Do I have my RTGs on, or has the reaction from the media and Fulham fans been completely unjustified? Anyone would think that they're England '66 and we're Argentina '66.

We played defensively in an away leg. It's the first time it's happened in football, ever.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 May 2017 12:38

Surreal sitting with the home supporters.

Half time it's 1-1. Sure Stam would have settled for a draw at the outset. Team was obviously set up to contain Fulham. Whose threat is limited to playing the wings with pace.

Whole team gets a 10 for sticking to the game plan. Over the season they've got better and better. Experience such as this can only help the younger players improve.

Lots of frustration in the home stands with their play. You can see why Fulham finished 6th. Certainly no better than us.

Roll on Tuesday night.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 May 2017 12:43

Ian Royal Really pleased with the majority of that performance. It was incredibly disciplined. Not very happy about the more cynical aspects of it like the time wasting.

We were in control for most of the match, managing Fulham well. We should have done a bit better in our build up for a few chances, Grabban in particular. It was frustrating that Kermie spent so much of his time deep or wide when it's him we should have in the box not Grabban.

Our goal seemed quite controversial. Fulham could have had a freekick for a challenge on their player, then Williams could have had a freekick for a challenge on him, then he could have given away a freekick for handball and then we could have had a freekick for a challenge on McShane. Simply brilliantly taken goal from Obita who was outstanding throughout.

One moment of madness led to them scoring, with no one tracking a run from a give and go in the build up. The commos were banging on endlessly about Aluko doing better with his first half chance, but given there was a clear offside in the build up it was natural justice he missed.

By half-time the Sky Fulham fanboys had changed that absolutely clear offside, acknowledged as such by the commentators at the time, to 'a question about offside'!

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 14 May 2017 13:37

RoyalBlue By half-time the Sky Fulham fanboys had changed that absolutely clear offside, acknowledged as such by the commentators at the time, to 'a question about offside'!

Such an obvious offside we could all see it from behind the goal. Did my eyes deceive me or did the linesman flip us the bird for the abuse he got as a result?

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 14 May 2017 14:54

Limbs. #readingfc Credit: Fulham1879FanTV https://t.co/7VUZS8L6z2

Limbs 8)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 May 2017 15:30

SpaghettiHoop

I thought the same.

Me too

Think a yellow was correct call, but possibly the Fulham player's reaction influenced the Lino

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 14 May 2017 17:43

bcubed
SpaghettiHoop

I thought the same.

Me too

Think a yellow was correct call, but possibly the Fulham player's reaction influenced the Lino

Linesman gave the decision for red.....he's a so called top linesman from Premier league....I saw him earlier smiling at our fans when he got stick for a bad offside........reckon it was his payback time as having watched it back on TV definitely no more than yellow

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 May 2017 17:50