BFTG - Fulham

204 posts
Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Fulham

by Oilroyal » 16 May 2017 23:57

Candle wax face would have been there tonight to pick over the bones of the losing team, recruiting for his new Birmingham post.

Harry for Jaap's job my arsenal!

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 17 May 2017 00:22

What a night
Doesn't quite beat the Wigan semi when the stadium shook, but very special indeed
Last night I didn't sleep much due to nerves
Tonight is probably a write-off already due to insane grinning and the need to down lots of liquid due to very sore throat
I'll be a sleepy Barry White in the morning

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 17 May 2017 00:31

If it was tense being at the Mad House it was nerve jangling watching it on a dodgy stream on a dodgy wifi connection which kept buffering in a hotel foyer in Riyadh.
The yelps for the pen - which buffered and I only caught the celebration - Swifty's point blank miss and the final whistle certainly caused both alarm and amazement among the natives.
Flights booked for a long weekend in the 'Ding and north-west Pcuntsvile.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 17 May 2017 00:42

Would just like to echo the praise for the team tonight, but also mention that the fans played their part tonight excellently: got well behind the team permanently when we went up drowning out Fulham, and did their best to back the squad at the end of the second half when we were under the cosh. Great work all round.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 May 2017 00:55

A great night terrific atmosphere. TBF I thought the penalty was a bit harsh even though it definitely struck his arm. Maybe just maybe Lady Luck is shining on us and this could be the time we finally end the play off hoo doo? We are not the prettiest side to watch but one thing Jaap has done is install a great team spirit and togetherness. Summed up by the two oldest players Al Habsi and Kermigan both were 10/10.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 17 May 2017 01:04

Tonight was the night I fell in love with football again

UUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZ

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 May 2017 01:15

WEMBERLEEEEEE WEMBERLEEEE

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 17 May 2017 01:30

Even the ref had a decent game.

Al-Habsi's kicking was attrocious, Van Den Berg and Evans were quietly excellent and Danny Williams was brilliantly Danny Williams but none of that matters, form guide out the window it was simply about who scored more goals and that was Reading. Great night out, shouted myself hoarse, can't wait to go to Wembley again. This time, surely, SURELY!?

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 17 May 2017 02:25

Thanks to the lads who left me alone with the nutters in the turtle. It was apreciated.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 17 May 2017 04:40

Had a training session with my team ahead of a big state tournament this weekend, so avoided the result and watched it when I got home. Why on earth did I put myself through that? Shaking. Crying. Screaming. Crying. Unbelievable. Al Habsi magnificent; back five magnificent; Kermogant? I want your next child. URZ!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 May 2017 07:06

Fantastic performance all round. So disciplined. Great tactical set up by Jaap.

Williams for me was mom, despite plenty of competition. Absolutely outstanding - him and Evans completely outshone Cairney who was very quiet.

Grabban was excellent, don't get the criticism of him.

Considering we were without our best player from the first leg, and arguably most impt defender with the threat of Fredericks - back 5 were very solid.

Roll on Wembley

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 17 May 2017 07:09

Fulham fans believe we only won due to a refereeing conspiracy. Apparantly last night Yann deliberately shielded the defender from the ref then reached round and used his arm to knock the ball on to the defender's arm to win the pen.
Nice move if true, one off the training ground presumably ?

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 17 May 2017 07:12

Amazing effort, happy days.

Feel I need to add some negatively, this is hob nob after all. Watching from the cold atmosphere of a Madrid pub, they were all over us for the last 30 mins. Worrying that we didn't have the composure to string some passes together and control the game better. It's a very bitter defeat for Fulham who deserved to get something from the game.

But oxf*rd'em we're going to Wembley!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 May 2017 07:38

They didn't really deserve anything from the game. They had a couple of chances, none of which were as good as Swift's inexplicable miss

We played deep and nullified their single game plan of getting in behind the full backs. Agree we could have kept the ball better at times, but they never really looked like scoring

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2017 07:52

lightning strikes Amazing effort, happy days.

Feel I need to add some negatively, this is hob nob after all. Watching from the cold atmosphere of a Madrid pub, they were all over us for the last 30 mins. Worrying that we didn't have the composure to string some passes together and control the game better. It's a very bitter defeat for Fulham who deserved to get something from the game.

but that was not the situation was it. Fulham were camped in our half.... impossible just to knock it around the back....clear it out and deal with it in waves of attacks.

Anyway, what a night! Most unenjoyable 90 mins of football I have ever experienced lol. The tension! Love this club.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2017 07:55

PieEater That was oxf*rd excellent, really tense after we got ahead and then started hoofing it but who cares.

If only Swifty would of got that second I'd of not been as stressed but in the end we did enough.

I reckon that might have cost us dear. Could've led to complacency creeping in and allowing Fulham to get back in the game with momentum. 1-0 kept everyone, including the crowd (Sky said something like 'well the crowd certainly helped their team over the line tonight') completely focused.

Oh, and Yann just edged MOM for me. Was absolutely immense (shame we had to take our best defender off before the end! :lol: ) . Every time the ball was crossed into our area he was there. Got to the point where my son and I were constantly saying - 'Was it?' 'Yes it was Yann on the end of it again'.

If anyone in our current squad merits 'We all dream of a team .....' it is the big Frenchman!

NorthStandGirl

by NorthStandGirl » 17 May 2017 08:06

Much love to the 2 random fellas who helped me up when I slipped down the steps on the way out last night, while my so-called friends just stood and laughed at me :oops: . I don't quite know how it happened, it must have been the sheer joy of the event and definitely not the beer. It was a most undignified way to end a great night.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 May 2017 08:08

lightning strikes Amazing effort, happy days.

They were camped in our half but they didn't create masses of clear cut chances but I'm not sure why you would expect anything less. Fulham had to score a goal to stop their season ending. They essentially shifted to a 2-4-4 formation, so we had to pull back to counter that and counter it we did.

Amazing performance and the tension on my sofa in the middle of Frankfurt was bad enough so god knows what it was like in the stadium. Calm penalty by Yann - was a pen but one that we would be really pi$$ed off about had we conceded it.

Like many, the moment Swift missed the open goal I thought the tide was going to turn but all it did was make the team more resolved to see it out. Can't fault a single player and like many thought Grabban had a decent game and on another night could have had a goal or two.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 May 2017 08:09

amazing night, cracking pitch invasion, leapt on many players.

Maybe it is just because my expectations are so low at the start but I thought VDB & Blackett were very good

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2017 08:11

jd82 Incidentally.. Looked a definite handball to me, but there is no way either the ref or lino could see, pretty sure 10k odd people going up in unison has influenced him.

I'm certainly not saying this to incense any visiting Fulham fans btw

I think the ref actually got a very clear view of it, given the excellent demonstration of the offence that he gave having awarded the penalty.

Sky commentary team always seem far more objective (than their h/t & post match pundits) in their assessment of events and they felt it was a clear penalty. I was at the game but got home and watched it again!

204 posts