Stam Changing Style

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Informant

Stam Changing Style

by The Informant » 25 Jul 2017 19:58

Stam on changing style

Jaap Stam says Reading are working on changing their playing style ahead of the new season.

And the manager insists time is needed for the players to adapt to the style.

Stam said: “You always need time but it’s the same for everyone in pre-season.
“It’s not like everything is set and done within a few weeks. You need to have time to get fit, adjust to the changes in the way we play.
“Both Cercle Brugge and Sparta Rotterdam on Saturday dropped in and waited for the moment to launch a counter-attack and that’s what we know.
“We experienced that last season and that’s what we need to prepare for so if teams do that then we know what to do on and off the ball.”

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stam Changing Style

by Royalwaster » 25 Jul 2017 22:39

In other words he means learning to play without any strikers?

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 26 Jul 2017 13:06

You really do need to be adaptable in the Championship.

One of the things that frustrated me last season was the lack of quick breaks when we had a chance from a corner or deep opposition free-kick to do so. It's not bad or 'long ball' football to release someone quickly out wide when we have players that can break quickly and pressurise the opposition.

A good combination of keeping the ball and being patient, and playing long passes or breaking quickly when the chance arises, and I think we can be successful again next season.

That all depends on the opposition of course, but it's something I'd like to see.

BerksRzz

by BerksRzz » 27 Jul 2017 11:33

MoorgateRoyal You really do need to be adaptable in the Championship.

One of the things that frustrated me last season was the lack of quick breaks when we had a chance from a corner or deep opposition free-kick to do so. It's not bad or 'long ball' football to release someone quickly out wide when we have players that can break quickly and pressurise the opposition.

A good combination of keeping the ball and being patient, and playing long passes or breaking quickly when the chance arises, and I think we can be successful again next season.

That all depends on the opposition of course, but it's something I'd like to see.

I Agree - no need to break the bank but some ambition needed!

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 27 Jul 2017 11:49

Playing with the same style becomes all too predictable. So you need to be adaptable. Especially in the Championship. It's OK playing in a predictable style if you have World class players at your disposal.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Jul 2017 13:46

thought that happened a lot more towards the end of the season with us tbf

BerksRzz

by BerksRzz » 27 Jul 2017 13:51

Maneki Neko thought that happened a lot more towards the end of the season with us tbf

I agree - noticed it too

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 27 Jul 2017 15:45

MoorgateRoyal You really do need to be adaptable in the Championship.

I take it you didn't go to the playoff semi final first leg then? Or were you there with your head in the sand?

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 27 Jul 2017 18:35

Maybe it'll be only forty passes to get out of our own half instead of fifty ?

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1