Ian Royal
7%

Total votes: 239
royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: In or Out?

by royalp-we » 03 Dec 2017 20:09

Snowflake Royal
Hound I do feel frustrated by the season btw, as I suspect a lot of other players and fans do

Less so yesterday, but I remember actually feeling quite annoyed after the Derby game as I knew the squad was capable of that sort of performance - and it almost made the Hull/Millwall/QPR/Norwich etc games even more unacceptable

Really frustrated with all the early injuries and short pre-season too. A few less injuries, a couple of different decisions from Stam and some better showings from the players and we could be very nicely placed. Instead, we're almost certainly looking at next season and hoping for not too many injuries or much squad disruption. Plus it's a WC year, so shorter pre-season again (I assume).

Hopefully we have settled now and the team can press on.

Although it does make you wonder if the rumoured targets (or not) had come off, injuries may not have hindered us so much; saving Stam experimenting.

Obita > Anya
Swift > Baker
Kermorgant > Oliveira

Here's to hoping for no more key additions adding to our injury list over crimbo! But feels inevitable :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Dec 2017 22:50

Hound I do feel frustrated by the season btw, as I suspect a lot of other players and fans do

Less so yesterday, but I remember actually feeling quite annoyed after the Derby game as I knew the squad was capable of that sort of performance - and it almost made the Hull/Millwall/QPR/Norwich etc games even more unacceptable

It's been incredibly frustrating not least because having added however much worth of talent to a squad that finished 3rd, expectations were naturally high.

I'm not sure how much injuries are to blame but flawed selections and tactics resulted in a poor start and IMO the manager was close to going at one point.

You mention the Derby game and that for me was the height of frustration. Not the game itself that was one of the best displays I've seen in 3 years, not to mention it was incredibly enjoyable. No it was the follow up or lack of it. Having, possibly by chance, found a team and a tactic that worked so well why not stick to it? Especially Bacuna in front of defence. Stam seemed reluctant to stop tinkering

Only in the last 3 games has he stuck to the same team and the results are following

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Dec 2017 23:27

bcubed

It's been incredibly frustrating not least because having added however much worth of talent to a squad that finished 3rd, expectations were naturally high.

I'm not sure how much injuries are to blame but flawed selections and tactics resulted in a poor start and IMO the manager was close to going at one point.

You mention the Derby game and that for me was the height of frustration. Not the game itself that was one of the best displays I've seen in 3 years, not to mention it was incredibly enjoyable. No it was the follow up or lack of it. Having, possibly by chance, found a team and a tactic that worked so well why not stick to it? Especially Bacuna in front of defence. Stam seemed reluctant to stop tinkering

Only in the last 3 games has he stuck to the same team and the results are following

Can't disagree with this. We all knew what this squad can/could do. I do think injuries to some key players did play a major part in our poor season so far - but selection made this worse.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Dec 2017 12:47

Chris Gunter did a pretty long interview for a Welsh podcast thing. It's in two parts, the first part link is below

https://player.fm/series/the-longmans-f ... ter-part-1

A lot of it (and all of the second part) is about Wales, but there's a decent chunk between 9 minutes and 35 minutes that's about Jaap Stam.

Even if Stam has to learn a lot about being a manager - about how to manage games, when to do subs, what team to pick etc - he is improving our players. The longer he stays, the more he will improve them. That alone has to be worth something - both for our current bunch - and the players who will join, just to work under him.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Dec 2017 17:05

muirinho Chris Gunter did a pretty long interview for a Welsh podcast thing. It's in two parts, the first part link is below

https://player.fm/series/the-longmans-f ... ter-part-1

A lot of it (and all of the second part) is about Wales, but there's a decent chunk between 9 minutes and 35 minutes that's about Jaap Stam.

Even if Stam has to learn a lot about being a manager - about how to manage games, when to do subs, what team to pick etc - he is improving our players. The longer he stays, the more he will improve them. That alone has to be worth something - both for our current bunch - and the players who will join, just to work under him.

Basically saying what some of us already knew. Stam’s a great coach, great at bringing players on but he’s still learning the art of affective game management. Enthusiasm carried him last season. This year his inexperience just about delivers mid table boredom. He's got a lot to learn and we'll need to be patient becaise he’s a long way off the pace and at best, this season he's been inconsistent with decent sqaud.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Dec 2017 17:15

Oilroyal at best, this season he's been inconsistent with decent sqaud.

The players themselves need to perform consistantly. A decent squad sums up most of the Championship.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 16 Dec 2017 17:25

Lower West

The players themselves need to perform consistantly. A decent squad sums up most of the Championship.

You have a point, maybe it’s just an experienced manager we need. Would you swap our team with Ipswich and do you think Ipswich fans would be happy if we swapped Stam for Mick?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Dec 2017 22:33

Oilroyal
Lower West

You have a point, maybe it’s just an experienced manager we need. Would you swap our team with Ipswich and do you think Ipswich fans would be happy if we swapped Stam for Mick?

The last thing that the club needs is yet another managerial change. The squad still requires some further shuffling. Come a long way in the past 15 months. With further to go. Stam is attracting good players (at least on paper). Some aren't working out. That's just a fact of life.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2017 08:18

Agree. As long as we are in no trouble of going down, best to stick with him

I think he is learning. Been less little hissy fits in his post match interviews for example

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Dec 2017 08:32

Absolutely mental how people are piping straight back up on social media with 'Stam Out' and 'time for a change' when we lost only our 2nd match in 9 games...

I really do wonder sometimes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Dec 2017 14:13

genome Absolutely mental how people are piping straight back up on social media with 'Stam Out' and 'time for a change' when we lost only our 2nd match in 9 games...

As a fanbase, we have a lot of people who automatically object to any style of football that isn't high tempo and direct. There are also a lot who quickly make their mind up that the solution to any temporary run of bad form is sacking the manager. And because their minds are so tiny, they can only hold one thought at a time and it's hard to shift one out once it gets there. And any result that isn't a win, or where we might have done better validates that idea for them and they push it at every opportunity.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Dec 2017 15:29

genome Absolutely mental how people are piping straight back up on social media with 'Stam Out' and 'time for a change' when we lost only our 2nd match in 9 games...

Likewise Radio Berkshire is doing my head in. Adie Williams never goes to away games and follows the same old lines after a poor performance. Stam out. What utter nonsense. Steady management is the key to long term sucess for a club such as Reading.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Dec 2017 20:04

Think just being ‘outraged’ and demanding change is just a default position nowadays for footy fans - fed by the likes of twitter. Worth ignoring 20% of the extreme opinions on either side

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Dec 2017 00:44

That's the trouble with social media I guess.

I actually get properly wound up and frustrated sometimes, trying to figure out how some people come to formulate their opinions. It's really not good for my wellbeing...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Dec 2017 00:45

Love this thread.
Wrong an for the job, not up to the English game, please get rid of soon.
New manager for Stevenage game would do me.
And that's from a non attendee.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Dec 2017 00:53

Always been a IN man, but today was farking shocking, its all very well standing on the line waving your hands around but the buck stops at your door mister.
problem is it looks like our club as been sold to invisible owners for the 3rd time on the trot, who the hell makes the big decisions now?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Dec 2017 01:15

Snowflake Royal

As a fanbase, we have a lot of people who automatically object to any style of football that isn't high tempo and direct. There are also a lot who quickly make their mind up that the solution to any temporary run of bad form is sacking the manager. And because their minds are so tiny, they can only hold one thought at a time and it's hard to shift one out once it gets there. And any result that isn't a win, or where we might have done better validates that idea for them and they push it at every opportunity.

You were doing ok Ian, until you started insulting people that don’t have your point of view.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Dec 2017 10:32

Well that was before we lost a home to Burton, leon. If you read Ian's post on the BFTG it's quite a shift in view

I'm not Stam Out quite yet, because we've only lost 3 in 10 games, but it's getting increasingly harder to stick up for him. If we lose the next two, then I think it's probably time for a change.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 24 Dec 2017 10:52

Stam IN definitely

In a way I want to see him sacked just as punishment for yesterdays disgrace. But I don't think that's right or sensible. I still think we are building and January and the Summer break are where things may have a chance of changing.

I'll never boo and never call a manager to be sacked (other than Clarke) but yesterday was the first time in ages and ages I nearly did these two things.

The worst and most disappointing thing is that we had a surge of supporters return. Most likely they all came thinking "mmmmm, lets see why the 13000-14000 fans come all the time, maybe I'm missing out and should renew".

I'd imagine they sat there in a silent, dead game, with 11 Reading Players seemingly half asleep with nothing happening thinking "Ok, the fans who still come are all idiots, I'm not coming back anytime soon".

Club had a great opportunity and in some ways a responsibility yesterday to show the casual fans what they're missing, why they should get their ST's back, how there's a town full of fans who are seeing great football each week. But no, they just put on the most boring, sh*t game I've seen for a long long time.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 24 Dec 2017 13:17

bobby1413 Stam IN definitely

In a way I want to see him sacked just as punishment for yesterdays disgrace. But I don't think that's right or sensible. I still think we are building

Stopped reading here as I fell off my stool in raptures of sarcastic laughter!

504 posts