Relegation

1865 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Relegation

by strap » 18 Mar 2018 15:16

tee peg
Zip When is Elphick due back? I recall he was out for about six weeks....well that was six weeks ago.So...

He will disappear in to the Black hole and join Watson/Richards/Quinn/Harriott/Mendes .All fit but not played for some strange reason.

I could be wrong but I think the first 2 on the list are definitely injured, and the last 3 have had long term injuries and have made tentative steps back to the squad by featuring in some recent U23 games. TBH I doubt we will ever see Quinn in an RFC shirt again as his contract is up end of the season and Stam has already said he can find a new club.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 18 Mar 2018 15:25

The chances of us going down are probably a bit less than we think. Fans tend to over react to results and performances of their own team.

That said, I too have snaffled some of the 8/1 which is a completely ridiculous price and in no way reflects the chances of it happening. Probably should be about 5/2 - 3/1 range.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 18 Mar 2018 15:25

strap
tee peg
Zip When is Elphick due back? I recall he was out for about six weeks....well that was six weeks ago.So...

He will disappear in to the Black hole and join Watson/Richards/Quinn/Harriott/Mendes .All fit but not played for some strange reason.

I could be wrong but I think the first 2 on the list are definitely injured, and the last 3 have had long term injuries and have made tentative steps back to the squad by featuring in some recent U23 games. TBH I doubt we will ever see Quinn in an RFC shirt again as his contract is up end of the season and Stam has already said he can find a new club.

You are working on the assumption that the information coming from the club is correct.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 18 Mar 2018 16:12

I've refrained from posting here as, although I knew we Were in deep shit, we always had that 4-6pt buffer.

Make no mistake, with Stam at the helm we are going down. Anyone who thanks that keeping him for the rest of the season is the best course of action is kidding themselves. Literally nobody would do a worse job and a new face in there, even if just for 8 games would freshen things up.

Replacing Jaap would literally be risk free. We can either just coast to relegation or at least try and change something as as it stands, with the form we're in, we are going down

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 18 Mar 2018 16:19

I totally agree with the last post. Cannot for the life of me believe that the powers that be on the inside of the club have allowed this to go on. Does anyone know what the hell is going on in there ?

rfc58

by rfc58 » 18 Mar 2018 16:21

Awayawayaway I've refrained from posting here as, although I knew we Were in deep shit, we always had that 4-6pt buffer.

Make no mistake, with Stam at the helm we are going down. Anyone who thanks that keeping him for the rest of the season is the best course of action is kidding themselves. Literally nobody would do a worse job and a new face in there, even if just for 8 games would freshen things up.

Replacing Jaap would literally be risk free. We can either just coast to relegation or at least try and change something as as it stands, with the form we're in, we are going down

I agree with you. At Christmas it was looking poor, but at the time, I thought no one can carry on being so bad, either our luck will change or he will be sacked, fast forward to today, nothing has changed. Under Stam, we don’t look like winning, pay him off, think the owners won’t go bust doing this, and get a new manager in, as I’ve said a few times, this bunch of players aren’t that bad, it’s plainly obvious that they do not believe in Stam, maybe a new face can inspire a push, maybe it won’t be enough, but under Stam, the risk is greater, as the results from the last 18 games have demonstrated.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 18 Mar 2018 16:28

rfc58
Awayawayaway I've refrained from posting here as, although I knew we Were in deep shit, we always had that 4-6pt buffer.

I agree with you. At Christmas it was looking poor, but at the time, I thought no one can carry on being so bad, either our luck will change or he will be sacked, fast forward to today, nothing has changed. Under Stam, we don’t look like winning, pay him off, think the owners won’t go bust doing this, and get a new manager in, as I’ve said a few times, this bunch of players aren’t that bad, it’s plainly obvious that they do not believe in Stam, maybe a new face can inspire a push, maybe it won’t be enough, but under Stam, the risk is greater, as the results from the last 18 games have demonstrated.

I think FFP is the obstacle in getting rid.

Awayawayaway

by Awayawayaway » 18 Mar 2018 16:29

tee peg
rfc58

I think FFP is the obstacle in getting rid.

I very much doubt that. Even if it is, it just shows how clueless BT and Gourlay are

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 18 Mar 2018 16:33

So FFP can affect if you sack a manager or not ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 16:41

FFP is a lame excuse. Like I said elsewhere, we are paying his wages next year anyway. Only new wage being added is a new manager, which I’m sure we could push into next seasons accounts and pay off with Binning a few players

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2018 16:42

Tony Le Mesmer The chances of us going down are probably a bit less than we think. Fans tend to over react to results and performances of their own team.

That said, I too have snaffled some of the 8/1 which is a completely ridiculous price and in no way reflects the chances of it happening. Probably should be about 5/2 - 3/1 range.

Yeah... I can only imagine how certain everyone would be that we wouldn't get another win or draw if we'd just lost seven games in a row like Birmingham had.

It's not looking good, and the players heads are all gone, but at least we're scoring... and if you're scoring you've got a chance.

It objectively could be worse. We could have lost against Bolton, Leeds, Derby and Forest. We could be conceding 3s, 4s and 5s rather than 2s and 3s, we could be scoring fewer.
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 18 Mar 2018 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Mar 2018 16:42

tee peg
strap
tee peg

You are working on the assumption that the information coming from the club is correct.

Er, well yes I suppose I am. I thought I was the only conspiracy theorist on here! What's your take on this situation out of interest?

Berry

by Berry » 18 Mar 2018 16:56

The players and manager are playing without spirit, changing Stam in my opinion will make little difference, there is obviously some serious trouble at board/owner level....The lack of information and silence speaks volumes.

The facts are Stam isn't a bad manager as proven last season, the players aren't suddenly bad players, we all know that they aren't playing to their potential, the spirit has been sucked out of them...Enter Ron Gourlay...

Watching Wigan earlier showed that when an owner, a manager, and a group of players sing off the same hymn sheet things happen...

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 18 Mar 2018 17:03

Gourlay may be a problem but that is something we have yet to find out. Stam is not a good manager IMO. A good boss would not have this squad of players in the situation we find ourselves.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Mar 2018 17:12

Indeed, Stam is a clueless manager. Completely useless.

The credit for last season’s finishing position belongs elsewhere.

As soon as he left, the wheels came off.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2018 17:17

Snowflake Royal
It objectively could be worse. We could have lost against Bolton, Leeds, Derby and Forest.

You mean we could be IN the bottom three with a GD at least 4 goals worse?

Snowflake Royal
We could be conceding 3s, 4s and 5s rather than 2s and 3s, we could be scoring fewer.

Just to be clear, we have conceded 3 goals in 4 out of the last 6 games.

We are most clearly getting WORSE defensively

Biscuitman62

by Biscuitman62 » 18 Mar 2018 17:26

Royal Rother Indeed, Stam is a clueless manager. Completely useless.

I didn't say he was clueless. Just that IMO he is not a good manager

Berry

by Berry » 18 Mar 2018 17:27

Royal Rother Indeed, Stam is a clueless manager. Completely useless.

Listen I would agree that Stam should go but be careful what we wish for, its way, way more than a managerial change, look at Sunderland, they are rotten at board level, has Coleman made any difference?
Our fans group should be asking some serious questions on what do the owners actually make of this situation...All I've heard is silence which speaks volumes, its not that they don't know, FFS they are multi billionaires who have obviously made great decisions and observations, sadly I feel they are not interested

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Mar 2018 17:36

Berry The players and manager are playing without spirit, changing Stam in my opinion will make little difference, there is obviously some serious trouble at board/owner level....The lack of information and silence speaks volumes.

The facts are Stam isn't a bad manager as proven last season, the players aren't suddenly bad players, we all know that they aren't playing to their potential, the spirit has been sucked out of them...Enter Ron Gourlay...

Watching Wigan earlier showed that when an owner, a manager, and a group of players sing off the same hymn sheet things happen...

The only contact most of this lot have had with Gourlay or the owners is when he has handed over their latest lucrative long term contract. It is a stretch blaming the incompetence on the pitch directly to Gourlay and co

The issue is on the field. The coaching isn’t working and neither are the managers tactics and selections. The fitness is poor and we pick up far too many injuries

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Mar 2018 17:36

Up until January 25th this season, Reading FC had not once conceded 3 goals.

Since then we have conceded 3 against

Sheffield Wednesday
Derby
Sheffield United
Wolves
Norwich

That is 5 times in 11 games

1865 posts