Relegation

1865 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2021 19:56

How about we don't act like awful twats, take our fully deserved punishment and abide by the rules.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Jan 2022 22:17

Peterborough and Barnsley away are massive massive games now if they weren't already.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2022 14:00

Royal_jimmy Peterborough and Barnsley away are massive massive games now if they weren't already.

And on current form, probably a relief that they are away.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 09 Jan 2022 06:44

Something has to change in the club. There's no plan or leadership at all.

ROYALJOE

by ROYALJOE » 09 Jan 2022 14:36

According to 'transmarket.co.uk'

Contracted to stay next season:

Luke Southwood
Liam Moore
Tom McIntyre
Dejan Tetek
Ovie Ejaria
Yakou Méïté
Lucas João
George Puscas

8 staying!!! :shock:
17 leaving end of contract/loan
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-read ... erein/1032

If this is correct, we are in deep trouble...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Jan 2022 14:39

ROYALJOE According to 'transmarket.co.uk'

Luke Southwood
Liam Moore
Tom McIntyre
Dejan Tetek
Ovie Ejaria
Yakou Méïté
Lucas João
George Puscas

How many of those will want to hang around if we get relegated?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Jan 2022 14:40

ROYALJOE According to 'transmarket.co.uk'

Luke Southwood
Liam Moore
Tom McIntyre
Dejan Tetek
Ovie Ejaria
Yakou Méïté
Lucas João
George Puscas

Not as if current lot are pulling up trees.

Some good players there.

Get the 8 wins needed to stay up and let’s have fun rebuilding. Follow the brentford model and cream off other academy stars not offered long term contracts.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 09 Jan 2022 14:46

Don’t really care who stays and who goes at this point. A lot of those players due to leave are on high wages and do not deserve to be on that much. If we go down it gives an opportunity to completely restructure our wage bill.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2022 08:17

I am getting to the point where I think if we go down and press the reset button it might not be the worst thing in the world. I’d be gutted of course but I am just so fed up with the current sh*t show.

Due to work I have had to stay up in Chesterfield a few times and I have seen a couple of their games and it’s reminded me about what I used to love about the game. I’ll always be a Reading fan and right now I don’t care what league we’re in I just want to start enjoying going to games again and feeling some affinity with the players. I’d rather be winning games in league 1 or 2 than getting battered each week in the Premiership listening to the commentators eulogising about how great Man City are when they’ve spanked us 6-0.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2022 09:19

blythspartan I am getting to the point where I think if we go down and press the reset button it might not be the worst thing in the world. I’d be gutted of course but I am just so fed up with the current sh*t show.

Due to work I have had to stay up in Chesterfield a few times and I have seen a couple of their games and it’s reminded me about what I used to love about the game. I’ll always be a Reading fan and right now I don’t care what league we’re in I just want to start enjoying going to games again and feeling some affinity with the players. I’d rather be winning games in league 1 or 2 than getting battered each week in the Premiership listening to the commentators eulogising about how great Man City are when they’ve spanked us 6-0.

Going down will be absolutely hideous for the club absolutely hideous. I get what you are saying in the second paragraph but we have to have the reset in this division - going lower may well see us struggle in L1 and 2 for many years to come.

Key to that is this statement in the EFL Agreed Decision:

Consequence of Relegation to League One at the end of Season 2021/22

10. If the Club is relegated into League One at the end of Season 2021/22, the Suspended Penalty will be
applied to the Club’s points total in the 2022/23 Season in League 1 unless:

10.1 the Club provides a revised budget for the 2022/23 Season, which is agreed by the EFL
Executive prior to the commencement of the 2022/23 Season (“Revised Budget”); and

10.2 the cash required by the Club to fulfil all of its obligations outlined in the Revised Budget and/or
the Club’s Salary Cost Management Protocol Submission (or equivalent) is paid to the Club in
full via equity prior to the commencement of the 2022/23 Season.

So in short, if we go down, we will lose 6 points as a matter of course unless we either serious cut our budget i.e. a firesale of players under contract and signing much, much cheaper replacements or the owner covers the full salary costs up front.

On top of the above, we would also have to replace all players who are out of contract and likely find a new manager. Relegation will not be a reset, it will be a continuation of the current shitshow.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Jan 2022 09:42

paultheroyal

Some good players there.

Get the 8 wins needed to stay up and let’s have fun rebuilding. Follow the brentford model and cream off other academy stars not offered long term contracts.

100%. This is a perfect opportunity to rebuild.

Derby's task is still far too difficult even given their current form. Barnsley are woeful (2 wins all season!). We just need to make sure we win at Peterborough.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 09:54

John Smith
paultheroyal

Some good players there.

Derby's task is still far too difficult even given their current form. Barnsley are woeful (2 wins all season!). We just need to make sure we win at Peterborough.

I wouldn't say we "need" to win at Peterborough, although if we do that would go a long way I imagine. I'd still back us to survive, there is more quality than the 3 teams below us at the moment which should be enough to bail us out.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Jan 2022 10:10

YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith
paultheroyal

Some good players there.

I wouldn't say we "need" to win at Peterborough, although if we do that would go a long way I imagine. I'd still back us to survive, there is more quality than the 3 teams below us at the moment which should be enough to bail us out.

Possibly agree. It's reminiscent of that period under Stam when we went to Burton and won 3-1.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2022 10:15

YorkshireRoyal99
John Smith
paultheroyal

Some good players there.

If the menality is right we will be fine, who knows Saturday may actually help that - no player will have enjoyed being on the end of that sort of defeat. If the nadir this year is defeat to a non-league side that is one thing but if a relegation gets added to the list as well...

One key thing is, if we can just avoid defeat tomorrow, we will jump ahead of Cardiff and Hull on GD (having played the same number of games) - that could be a small mental barrier as it means we then only have to as bad as them to stay up.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 10:25

Actually, just to contradict myself, it's impossible to say whether we need to beat Peterborough or not. I'm only basing that off that we are above them now, we might not be at the time so the opinion might be different come the day of the game.

I do think we should go there and win and not to avoid defeat.

Saturday is a bit of a double-edged sword, could work in our favour and we could see a reaction tomorrow night or we could be on the end of a pretty big defeat potentially as well. I would absolutely love 3 points tomorrow as it would put us in a far better situation all things considered.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2022 10:30

If we can get a win tomorrow, and it is a big IF, then things will suddenly look rosier as it will also start to pull Brum in to the picture and to a lesser extent Swansea and Luton - though they both will have 2 games in hand at that point.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2022 10:51

Baring in mind we play Luton is our rearranged fixture towards the end of the month I don't think they will be wanting to get dragged into anything either. Having said all of that, those are not the 3 teams we need to be focusing on at the moment, we just need to get a couple of wins this month and just steer clear best we can.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 10:56

Stranded
blythspartan I am getting to the point where I think if we go down and press the reset button it might not be the worst thing in the world. I’d be gutted of course but I am just so fed up with the current sh*t show.

Going down will be absolutely hideous for the club absolutely hideous. I get what you are saying in the second paragraph but we have to have the reset in this division - going lower may well see us struggle in L1 and 2 for many years to come.

10. If the Club is relegated into League One at the end of Season 2021/22, the Suspended Penalty will be

10.1 the Club provides a revised budget for the 2022/23 Season, which is agreed by the EFL
Executive prior to the commencement of the 2022/23 Season (“Revised Budget”); and

10.2 the cash required by the Club to fulfil all of its obligations outlined in the Revised Budget and/or
the Club’s Salary Cost Management Protocol Submission (or equivalent) is paid to the Club in

So in short, if we go down, we will lose 6 points as a matter of course unless we either serious cut our budget i.e. a firesale of players under contract and signing much, much cheaper replacements or the owner covers the full salary costs up front.

On top of the above, we would also have to replace all players who are out of contract and likely find a new manager. Relegation will not be a reset, it will be a continuation of the current shitshow.

That's not actually that hard though.

Moore is motivated to leave 12 months earlier. We apply the relegation wage cuts we'd be insane not to have in contracts we don’t renew as many contracts and sign cheaper players.

Bristow, Ashcroft, Camara, Clarke etc can form a much larger part of the squad at a lower level.

Maybe a couple of promising players we want to keep have to be sold. We could afford to seel one of Southwood, Andresson and Boyce-Clarke for example

Are the FL really going to put prohibitive conditions we simply cannot meet in place because we finished 22nd not 21st?

I don't think so.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2022 12:16

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

Moore is motivated to leave 12 months earlier. We apply the relegation wage cuts we'd be insane not to have in contracts we don’t renew as many contracts and sign cheaper players.

Bristow, Ashcroft, Camara, Clarke etc can form a much larger part of the squad at a lower level.

Maybe a couple of promising players we want to keep have to be sold. We could afford to seel one of Southwood, Andresson and Boyce-Clarke for example

Are the FL really going to put prohibitive conditions we simply cannot meet in place because we finished 22nd not 21st?

I don't think so.

Not prohibative no but much harder to meet - we won't be allowed to go forward in L1 with a 16m wage bill, that is for certain, how low will imagine on what we expect our income to be next year - that will be markedly lower - possibly half of what we can expect in the Champ in terms of TV money, attendance etc - so I expect any wage budget would be lowered in line.

So we could see the wage budget drop another 5 or 6 million - if not more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 12:34

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I don't think so.

Not prohibative no but much harder to meet - we won't be allowed to go forward in L1 with a 16m wage bill, that is for certain, how low will imagine on what we expect our income to be next year - that will be markedly lower - possibly half of what we can expect in the Champ in terms of TV money, attendance etc - so I expect any wage budget would be lowered in line.

So we could see the wage budget drop another 5 or 6 million - if not more.

Well Moore is £1.5m of that instantly if we shift him.

And a 10% relegation wage reduction would do another £1.6m

Halfway there almost instantly.

1865 posts