MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h) sponsored by fat ladies being asked about their availability

149 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h) sponsored by fat ladies being asked about their availability

by leon » 28 Oct 2017 17:37

I'm at in laws family do on the Isle of Wight so couldn't make it today.

The rate at which this team has declined is staggering. However the players themselves need to take responsibility as well as management - what has the DoF been doing in the transfer market?

Something has to change.

JR

Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (h) sponsored by fat ladies being asked about their availability

by JR » 28 Oct 2017 17:37

windermereROYAL Slumped in my seat for the entire game, not a single thing made me stand up. says it all really, awful and woeful start too finish, McShane full back, WTF?
Sadly the clock must be ticking for Stam, and I`m sure he knows it, Not a clean sheet at home yet, for a world class defender as coach that is unacceptable.
Tuesday must be his last chance.

McShane was actually very good at full back - shame the head clash ended what was admittedly a surprising experiment.

Both halves started with exciting action so you were either stuck in the bar or suffering from low energy at the moment.

JR

by JR » 28 Oct 2017 17:41

genome Less than 3 points on Tuesday and I am done.

You lot are driving me nuts this evening.

Yes we can express our frustration about poor individual performances or concern about Stam appearing to grasp at straws with some of his formation / tactical decisions, but a lot of the hob nob rhetoric is nonsense.

What does "I am done" even mean?!!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Oct 2017 17:43

RG7Fan
Oilroyal
RG7Fan
How is the penalty and the clash of heads Stam's fault?

Could be argued that McShane should have partnered Moore but that would be harsh on Stam. At the end of the day nothing is going right atm

I actually think he did ok at RB. Gunter starting at LB and Blackett on the bench says more about Stam's opinion of Blackett I would say.

I thought most of the time we were ok - the first 10 minutes was the most positive start we've seen in ages. Same in the 2nd half. Both goals were hammer blows - the penalty was against the flow and unlucky (ie it wasn't the result of lots pressure play building up). The second was a shambles - Blackett could (at a stretch) got to it before the Boro player who then crossed it in. Mannone /
McShane / Gunter confused
(McShane was blaming Gunter afterwards).

If we lose on Tuesday I think Stam's days are numbered - rightly or wrongly.

McShane and Gunter confused? That’s odd as they’re usually half decent in their rightful positions. Oh, wait a minute.

I would like nothing more than for Stam to sort this mess out, but the writing was on the wall pre-season and blatant after our first game of the season against QPR.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2017 17:45

We were quite good for about 5 mins in each half. But then decided to kill any momentum we had with unambitious slow error ridden passing.

As usual all the defence did ok until they did something rubbish and we conceded.

Midfield were lacking in precision, confidence and creativity (thought Swift did ok), and the two wingers were both poor, esp Aluko who is clearly talented but is causing us all sorts of issues by his lack of positional disciple

Barrow looked lively. Whh he didn’t start is beyond me

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Oct 2017 17:48

Oilroyal
RG7Fan
Oilroyal
Could be argued that McShane should have partnered Moore but that would be harsh on Stam. At the end of the day nothing is going right atm

I actually think he did ok at RB. Gunter starting at LB and Blackett on the bench says more about Stam's opinion of Blackett I would say.

I thought most of the time we were ok - the first 10 minutes was the most positive start we've seen in ages. Same in the 2nd half. Both goals were hammer blows - the penalty was against the flow and unlucky (ie it wasn't the result of lots pressure play building up). The second was a shambles - Blackett could (at a stretch) got to it before the Boro player who then crossed it in. Mannone /
McShane / Gunter confused
(McShane was blaming Gunter afterwards).

McShane and Gunter confused? That’s odd as they’re usually half decent in their rightful positions. Oh, wait a minute.

I would like nothing more than for Stam to sort this mess out, but the writing was on the wall pre-season and blatant after our first game of the season against QPR.

But they were in their right positions when the Boro scored their second ...

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Oct 2017 17:48

JR

Yes we can express our frustration about poor individual performances or concern about Stam appearing to grasp at straws with some of his formation / tactical decisions, but a lot of the hob nob rhetoric is nonsense.

It means I think Stam should probably go. Relax!

I empathise with you, and if you read the boards last season I'm normally in your position defending the club against all the hyperbole and overreaction that supporters tend to throw out. So I'm not one to just throw statements out there and I don't say it lightly.

But I think his position is starting to become untenable - it's the performances more than the results for me. I think we have been found out and Stam is too stubborn to adapt.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Oct 2017 17:50

RG7Fan
Oilroyal
RG7Fan

I thought most of the time we were ok - the first 10 minutes was the most positive start we've seen in ages. Same in the 2nd half. Both goals were hammer blows - the penalty was against the flow and unlucky (ie it wasn't the result of lots pressure play building up). The second was a shambles - Blackett could (at a stretch) got to it before the Boro player who then crossed it in. Mannone / (McShane was blaming Gunter afterwards).

and we played well for the first 10 minutes ... the mind boggles!

JR

by JR » 28 Oct 2017 17:52

genome
JR

It means I think Stam should probably go. Relax!

I empathise with you, and if you read the boards last season I'm normally in your position defending the club against all the hyperbole and overreaction that supporters tend to throw out. So I'm not one to just throw statements out there and I don't say it lightly.

But I think his position is starting to become untenable - it's the performances more than the results for me. I think we have been found out and Stam is too stubborn to adapt.

Ok, fair play Genome. I'm an optimist so am not where you are yet, but do think our two matches against the East Midlands are massive this coming week.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Oct 2017 17:56

Oilroyal
RG7Fan
Oilroyal

I actually think Gunter is a better left back than right back - just think he is very negative on the right when going forward (or not as the case may be).

For the second goal both McShane and Gunter were either side of Assomba (from memory), and Mannone probably could have come out and stopped it getting through. It didn't really have anything to do with whether they were in their right positions or not - they're both defenders and should be able to sort that kind of thing. But of course no-one is 100% all of the time - just one of those things.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Oct 2017 17:58

double d I walked out after 70 minites. Utter rubbish from reading and stam. Good bye and good riddince. Worst football I have ever seen in 27 years of supporting reading no wonder why I decided to support another team. Terrible manager and terrible football. The club should refund fans for these performances

Frankly good riddance to you Double D - you're not the sort of fan we need.

So what sort of fans do we need?

We were not terrible today - we were a low confidence team that had good spells but were hit by suckerpunches

That is paraphrase of "we played very poorly but that is because we lack confidence due to not playing well".

I would also be delighted if Blackett never put on a Reading shirt ever again. How someone that talentless could have made United's first team is baffling.

So he isnt lacking in confidence like the rest of them then?

But Tuesday is massive - football is such a confidence game and we need something to boost us or we will slide in to a relegation battle.

Look at the league table. We are in the relegation battle zone now and showing little sign of escaping in the very near future.
Last edited by West Stand Man on 28 Oct 2017 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Oct 2017 17:58

RG7Fan
Oilroyal
RG7Fan

I actually think Gunter is a better left back than right back - just think he is very negative on the right when going forward (or not as the case may be).

For the second goal both McShane and Gunter were either side of Assomba (from memory), and Mannone probably could have come out and stopped it getting through. It didn't really have anything to do with whether they were in their right positions or not - they're both defenders and should be able to sort that kind of thing. But of course no-one is 100% all of the time - just one of those things.

we're in a bad way RG ... no two ways about it.

double d

by double d » 28 Oct 2017 18:03

JR
double d I walked out after 70 minites. Utter rubbish from reading and stam. Good bye and good riddince. Worst football I have ever seen in 27 years of supporting reading no wonder why I decided to support another team. Terrible manager and terrible football. The club should refund fans for these performances

Frankly good riddance to you Double D - you're not the sort of fan we need.

We were not terrible today - we were a low confidence team that had good spells but were hit by suckerpunches.

We are not being thrashed - today was only the second time we have lost by more than one goal - but football is a game of fine margins and at the moment most of them are going against us.

I applaud Stam for picking Sam Smith today and thought the lad did very well - actually made lots of good runs that weren't noticed by the midfielders.

A few things did concern me - Kelly looks a poor player at the moment, failing with straightforward passes and Swift is just frustratingly laxidasical.

I would also be delighted if Blackett never put on a Reading shirt ever again. How someone that talentless could have made United's first team is baffling.

But Tuesday is massive - football is such a confidence game and we need something to boost us or we will slide in to a relegation battle.

Pot kettle black .you are the type of fan we don't need. Stop being so optimistic and look at the results and the truth. Sod paying money for that and putting our hard earned cash in those Dutch and Thai criminals pockets. They are robbing us of entertainment with this brand of football. Supporters like you who clap and cheer when we are getting battered makes me disgusted to be a real fan. I'm a real fan I buy shirts every year and I will boo if we play crap

double d

by double d » 28 Oct 2017 18:05

JR

Stop being so pfucking optimistic it is ridiculous! Do you see good teams like Leeds and Cardiff fans getting happy when they go on a winning run. No they took action and sacked their managers and now look

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 28 Oct 2017 18:05

Some people need their head or eyes examined. That really was not a bad performance. Same issues with strikers and shots but the team ethic and performance as a whole was good.

Seriously, not sure whether half of you are spoilt or blind.

I'd imagine Boro will be posting or saying that we played well but just (once again) lacked anything in terms of striking.

To sack Stam because of this is deluded and short sighted.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Oct 2017 18:10

bobby1413 Some people need their head or eyes examined. That really was not a bad performance.

I agree bobby, some people do :P

It was awful. I'm not sure what game you were watching.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Oct 2017 18:11

Oilroyal
RG7Fan
Oilroyal

we're in a bad way RG ... no two ways about it.

Oh I don't disagree, just wasn't sure what point you were trying to make about Gunter & McShane being in / out of position.

Stam could have had Blackett at LB, but didn't - that to me says a lot about Stam's view of him. He'd rather play a CB at RB and an RB at LB (who in fairness is used to playing there) ... At least he had a Striker as a Striker!

Forest, Derby and Wolves coming up - if we lose on Tuesday I think he'll be gone. Derby and Wolves will be a lot tougher than today.

If the board are going to sack him then it needs to be before mid November so any new manager can come in and have 5-6 weeks before the January window.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 Oct 2017 18:13

Cant believe no one has mentioned the ref yet ...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Oct 2017 18:18

Hound Ian, can see your point but it goes deeper than that. Smith played well and caused problems but we inexplicably barely passed to the guy. He ran the channels, harassed, won a few headers ad generally put himself about. The service to him was abysmal, he could barely have done any more

Yes, it's like the problem goes far deeper and the problem isn't solved by playing any striker.

Happy he had a decent showing.

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 28 Oct 2017 18:28

bobby1413 Some people need their head or eyes examined. That really was not a bad performance. Same issues with strikers and shots but the team ethic and performance as a whole was good.

Seriously, not sure whether half of you are spoilt or blind.

I'd imagine Boro will be posting or saying that we played well but just (once again) lacked anything in terms of striking.

To sack Stam because of this is deluded and short sighted.

Do you really think Stam has control of the current situation Bobby? In my opinion, he’s been given far too much control following the TEAM’S 3rd place finish. I think he’s now dug himself such a big hole. a hole bigger than the Madejski bowl with the backing of the owners off the back of last season. His arrogance and naivety, together with the owners backing has landed us in a whole lot of shit. Can Stam pull the rabbit out of the hat, personally don’t think he can. He hasn’t the experience, full stop. Stam still has a player mentality, and would say is now resigned to accepting a nice pay off. Just listen to his post-match BBCRB interview. In his mind he’s already gone with a pay-off.

149 posts