Board of Directors - Look away now ...

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: Board of Directors - Look away now ...

by LWJ » 27 Oct 2017 08:33

strap
West Stand Man Where do the numbers come from? The club is always hiding the numbers by saying 'undisclosed fee' so it would be interesting to know how these ones have been generated.

See Caveat 1.

This is completely pointless - we didn't spend anything near that amount. Think more like 4m for Aluko + add ons which aren't being hit right now!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Oct 2017 08:40

NewCorkSeth Not to weigh in against Strap here but isn't it a bit unfair to count this seasons spending against Stam so early on?
We could still sell players in January and he could potentially come out in profit?
Obviously I would rather we didn't sell our best players but other managers you're comparing him to had to sell Gylfi, Long and Doyle for high fees so of course they have better looking transfer net spends.
We are now in a period where we don't have to sell our best so it would be odd if we were in the black.

yeah this pretty much. As mentioned you're better judging him against last seasons spending.

Its far too blunt an instrument to judge a manager by - it takes no context as to what the manager inherited. For example if strap's 'Dutch Tw@t' got the boot now as he wishes, and a new manager comes in, you'd expect them to have reasonable success without spending money due to inheriting a decent squad. Stam inherited a shambles, as did McD the 2nd.

Liekwise a new boss could say sell Moore and Swift, and still comfortably make mid table with a profit of 15m or so, even though it was Stam & co who found those players for the club

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 27 Oct 2017 08:43

NewCorkSeth Not to weigh in against Strap here but isn't it a bit unfair to count this seasons spending against Stam so early on?
We could still sell players in January and he could potentially come out in profit?
Obviously I would rather we didn't sell our best players but other managers you're comparing him to had to sell Gylfi, Long and Doyle for high fees so of course they have better looking transfer net spends.
We are now in a period where we don't have to sell our best so it would be odd if we were in the black.

Good point but I wonder how many of Reading players now would command a transfer fee over £3m?
I would suggest Moore, Swift but struggle after that given our present form.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 27 Oct 2017 08:47

paddy20

Good point but I wonder how many of Reading players now would command a transfer fee over £3m?

Vydra went for 8, even after 3 poor seasons. Most clubs overlook poor patches so you would imagine we wouldn't struggle to offload the likes of Aluko for a similar fee as we spent.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Oct 2017 08:48

paddy20

I think it would be unrealistic to consider players like Kelly, Evans, Ilori and the 2 you mentioned as valued below 3 million considering age and ability. Obviously it would require a buyer so Moore and Swift are by far the most desirable however considering their contract lengths 3 million would be a pisstake.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Oct 2017 08:54

NewCorkSeth
paddy20

I think it would be unrealistic to consider players like Kelly, Evans, Ilori and the 2 you mentioned as valued below 3 million considering age and ability. Obviously it would require a buyer so Moore and Swift are by far the most desirable however considering their contract lengths 3 million would be a pisstake.

We'd get our money back and maybe more on Mannone and Barrow. Gunter and Popa could prob be offloaded for a reasonable amount pretty quickly. Evans likewise.

Reckon Obita would have worth plenty if it wasn't for that injury after the way he ended last season. Considering Fulham sold that far inferior LB Malone for 5m

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 27 Oct 2017 08:54

I cant believe that this discussion is getting so animated over a set of figures that have no provenance. The whole lot is based on what the press says we spent or received not actual numbers from club accounts. With that in mind I am out.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Oct 2017 11:54

Snowflake Royal How is Rodgers £3m before selling?

His signings were reported something along these lines:
Mills - £2.5m
McAnuff - £800k
Rasiak - £500k
Howard - £800k
Cummings - £300k

Hi SR - that's the problem with "published" figures. I only have £1.5M for Mills, 500k for McAnuff and Howard (each that is), and 300k each for Rasiak and Cummings. My figures actually paint Bodgers in a better light than yours, and I did say at the top that I found much of table I posted to be hard to believe!

My notes under Mills suggest the reported fee from GetReading was 1.5m rising to £2M if we got promoted. Just illustrates how the club NOT publishing "accurate" figures leaves so much open for interpretation/conspiracy theory etc.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Oct 2017 11:54

West Stand Man I cant believe that this discussion is getting so animated over a set of figures that have no provenance. The whole lot is based on what the press says we spent or received not actual numbers from club accounts. With that in mind I am out.

Me too.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2017 12:36

strap
Snowflake Royal How is Rodgers £3m before selling?

His signings were reported something along these lines:
Mills - £2.5m
McAnuff - £800k
Rasiak - £500k
Howard - £800k
Cummings - £300k

Hi SR - that's the problem with "published" figures. I only have £1.5M for Mills, 500k for McAnuff and Howard (each that is), and 300k each for Rasiak and Cummings. My figures actually paint Bodgers in a better light than yours, and I did say at the top that I found much of table I posted to be hard to believe!

My notes under Mills suggest the reported fee from GetReading was 1.5m rising to £2M if we got promoted. Just illustrates how the club NOT publishing "accurate" figures leaves so much open for interpretation/conspiracy theory etc.

How fees aren't paid via the FA / FL and all transparent is beyond me.

Instant removal of influence for the likes of Redknapp, Alladyce, Graham, and dodgy agents.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Oct 2017 13:57

Sadly, since the turn of the century, transfers for anyone but PL clubs seem to be heaped more and more in mystery as the majority always seem to be officially undisclosed leaving nothing but press speculation. Certainly Reading now seem to say every player's transfer is undisclosed so comparing random newspaper speculation to the days when we knew Keith Curle cost 100k or Steve Death 20k or even 750k for Martin Butler becomes really difficult. And let's not forget that 750k for Martin Butler (leading div 3 striker at the time) in 2000 would probably be about £2-3 million at todays pricing, let alone the ridiculous price you'd be quoted for a PL goalkeeper warming the bench in East London.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 27 Oct 2017 19:51

strap
West Stand Man Where do the numbers come from? The club is always hiding the numbers by saying 'undisclosed fee' so it would be interesting to know how these ones have been generated.

See Caveat 1.

So in other words you've no idea. Stam has repeatedly said the quoted figs in the press were well wide of the mark.

The club have not disclosed any actual transfer fees paid or received for years.

Delete this stupid thread someone

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 27 Oct 2017 22:05

Its an interesting presentation of accurate (to a degree data). The conclusions / facts to be drawn from this

1) Fact - Historically a selling club (JM without deep pockets) and managers / DOF have implemented that strategy. Backed up by excellent scouting and a good eye for a bargain
2) Conclusion - Probably comes about by a decent management team all on the same page. Critical roles have been DOF - NH held in very high regard throughout football and Scouting - McDermott had a big role here.
3) Fact - Stam has spent a shed load and so far is not getting a return. All newbies on long contracts. He should be doing much better. Last season success was with only 5 of the 10 players (I think he signed last year)
4) Conclusion - DOF - BT may not be up to it too inexperienced ? Scouting and selection of new players - dubious compared to the past - to many similar players, no striker etc. Lack of focus / poor decision making maybe from Stam - just wants more bodies around. Weak DOF ?
5) Fact - New Owners - would appear to have deep pockets though are very silent
6) Conclusion - maybe pointless comparing to the past - these new guys may think what has been spent is chicken feed so none of the above matters

My view - its clear Stam has too many players in the same position, constantly changing the team . Clearly something is amiss with all the training ground injuries - whats being done about that ? Not convinced yet the leadership of the club has a clear strategy other than throw money around and hope

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Oct 2017 08:15

Fact: These numbers are not actual data.
Conclusion: No real analysis of any value can be done from them.

Fact: Nothing else really.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Oct 2017 10:15

West Stand Man Fact: These numbers are not actual data.
Conclusion: No real analysis of any value can be done from them.

Fact: Nothing else really.

Yeah this

And can’t really judge a set of signings on 10-12 games

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 28 Oct 2017 18:08

No one knows the transfer fees of players. newspapers spaculate wildly and even when numbers are leaked they are often a total amount including all add ons which are not met.

For example, I have been informed that the Aluko figure is lower than the ones reported at the time and half of it is only payable upon the club being promoted to the PL by the end of the 2020/21 season.