28 November - Barnsley (h)
02 December - Sunderland (a)
11 December - Cardiff City (h)
16 December - Ipswich Town (a)
23 December - Burton Albion (h)
26 December - Bristol City (a)
30 December - Barnsley (a)
02 January - Birmingham City (h)

Surely Reading can get at least 12-15 points from that lot and keep themselves reasonably well away from relegation shenanigans?

Less than 10 points will not only make life very scary for Reading but should mean time is called on the current management.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 9 games to the New Year

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Nov 2017 23:02

I hope the board aren't afraid to make a change if we don't get at least 6 points from the next 4 games (3 at home). I think a change will happen if we don't get a solid points tally from these 4 and I hope Gourlay has a list of replacement candidates should Stam not get the results needed in the next few games.

We need points now and the longer the run of results continues the more likely we will be worried of doing a Blackburn. If we went down with the level of quality we have, it'd be as embarrassing as Southampton's relegation from this league 9 years ago when they had Adam Lallana in their side.

I think if the run continues with Stam and he's not sacked then that indicates that we have no money for January transfers, otherwise why make a change?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2017 08:21

Its certainly looks on paper a relatively gentle run. It depends on what sort of form each team is on at the time though tbf, most teams seem much the same quality wise

Sadly I'm more confident of us getting points away at the moment. The home form really needs to pick up massively if we are going to have a reasonable season. So much seems to depend on whether we can keep Bod/Yann fit until January, and then hopefully pick up another striker (my money is on Hugill)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Nov 2017 08:50

Despite what people want to think, form has picked up 7/12 is OK esp. when the only defeat was to Wolves.

Looking at those 9, 18 pts is more that acheivable. We really need to pick up the home form though all 5 home games are winnable but we don't seem to be able to pick up results at home this year to date.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Nov 2017 09:27

Not sure how you can consider that a gentle run?

Sunderland have a new manager and are bound to improve, Barnsley are a decent team, especially at home, Ipswich and Cardiff will probably beat us, as will Bristol City I'm afraid to say. I'd only bet on us to beat Burton and Birmingham from that list.

That said, I'm not a negative old git like half of Twitter so I think we'll be fine. Mostly draws from them all.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2017 09:30

John Smith Not sure how you can consider that a gentle run?

Sunderland have a new manager and are bound to improve, Barnsley are a decent team, especially at home, Ipswich and Cardiff will probably beat us, as will Bristol City I'm afraid to say. I'd only bet on us to beat Burton and Birmingham from that list.

That said, I'm not a negative old git like half of Twitter so I think we'll be fine. Mostly draws from them all.

A relatively gentle run. Compared to a run that had Sheff Utd, Leeds and Derby away, and Middlesboro and Wolves at home. Obv no games are easy, there is no such thing as a gentle run in the champ

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Nov 2017 09:53

Hound So much seems to depend on whether we can keep Bod/Yann fit until January, and then hopefully pick up another striker (my money is on Hugill)

Keeping Bod fit is irrelevant if his manager insists on leaving him on the bench.

Even against Wolves, when when 2-0 down, we played for 10mins without a recognised striker and last night, up against one of the worst sides in the division, we started without a target man plus two on the bench, one of which got 20mins after once again finding ourselves two goals down :| FFS :evil: :evil: :evil:

This season is almost gone as far as having any impact at the other end of the table is concerned and it won't be just Liam Moore who won't be here in the New Year if things stay as they are .

This is a talented squad many of whom are destined for the Prem. We retained/acquired the best of them on the back of last season's near miss in the play-offs and they will get far better offers in the transfer window when we will also struggle to attract the standard of striker we all crave.

Yes, we have had some good performances but mostly with one hand tied behind our back as Stam has refused to play a striker unless he's called Yann.

Stam's refusal to accept the blindingly obvious now risks inflicting the sort of damage that could set us back years and last night showed he's less inclined to turn than Maggie at her most instransigent.

Why will any of Kelly, Swift, Richards want to stay when even successful Championship clubs would offer better prospects and why would the impressive Hugill leave Preston for under achievers like us?

What was on view from Stam last night to suggest that he's getting any closer to understanding what is required in this division? We simply have to move on before we end up with a squad for next season that really will struggle to survive at this level.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2017 10:17

Presuming Bod didn't start as he has only just come back from an injury. Worst thing to do would be to do too much too soon and be out for another month

I'm assuming Stam wouldn't make the mistake of playing 3 wingers up front again if Yann or Bod were fit to start.

As for Hugill. Higher wages. Simple really - Preston pay low, we pay high. Rumour was that he put in the transfer request to push through the move to us in the summer

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Nov 2017 10:31

I'd look at 13pts from those games, beat Barnsley (h), Burton and Birmingham, lose to Ipswich and Bristol City, draw the rest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Nov 2017 11:59

Hound Presuming Bod didn't start as he has only just come back from an injury. Worst thing to do would be to do too much too soon and be out for another month

I'm assuming Stam wouldn't make the mistake of playing 3 wingers up front again if Yann or Bod were fit to start.

As for Hugill. Higher wages. Simple really - Preston pay low, we pay high. Rumour was that he put in the transfer request to push through the move to us in the summer

He did that in the last away game - we scored 4 and turned in, arguably, our best performance of the season.

Agreed on Hugill though - plus he would also think that him joining us would make the team better and see us move up the table (or have a better chance of promotion in 2018/19 than Preston)

mambo3

by mambo3 » 22 Nov 2017 12:09

Stranded
Hound Presuming Bod didn't start as he has only just come back from an injury. Worst thing to do would be to do too much too soon and be out for another month

He did that in the last away game - we scored 4 and turned in, arguably, our best performance of the season.

Agreed on Hugill though - plus he would also think that him joining us would make the team better and see us move up the table (or have a better chance of promotion in 2018/19 than Preston)

you forgot one thing, stamm doesn't play out and out strikers

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2017 13:14

Did I imagine Yann playing just about every game for us last year then?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 22 Nov 2017 13:18

Anyone know if Jaap will be attending the Wednesday game tonight?

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 22 Nov 2017 13:53

mambo3
Stranded

you forgot one thing, stamm doesn't play out and out strikers

...when they are returning to fitness after a long period out injured

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Nov 2017 09:10

25 November - Sheffield Wednesday (h)D
28 November - Barnsley (h)W
02 December - Sunderland (a)W
11 December - Cardiff City (h)L
16 December - Ipswich Town (a)L
23 December - Burton Albion (h)W
26 December - Bristol City (a)L
30 December - Barnsley (a)D
02 January - Birmingham City (h)W

[/quote]

mambo3

by mambo3 » 23 Nov 2017 11:17

Hound Did I imagine Yann playing just about every game for us last year then?

Do out and out strikers defend and attack at the same time? I must be imagining the amount of times he has helped the defence out only for
the ball to come straight back as he cannot be in 2 places at once.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Nov 2017 13:52

From Despair To Where? I'd look at 13pts from those games, beat Barnsley (h), Burton and Birmingham, lose to Ipswich and Bristol City, draw the rest.

Oft expectation fails, and most oft there where most it promises; and oft it hits where hope is coldest, and despair most fits.

Nuremberg Royal

by Nuremberg Royal » 23 Nov 2017 13:57

You only have to look at the previous sets of 9 games to realise predicting Reading FC results is a real crap shoot.
Ill go for 6 wins and 24 goals scored with 2 losses 1 draw and 20 conceded :D

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Nov 2017 14:00

mambo3
Hound Did I imagine Yann playing just about every game for us last year then?

Do out and out strikers defend and attack at the same time? I must be imagining the amount of times he has helped the defence out only for
the ball to come straight back as he cannot be in 2 places at once.

I think you might be the first person to hold Yann's excellent defensive qualities against him, well done, that's impressive stuff

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Nov 2017 14:18

9 games is looking way ahead....look at the next 5.......I wonder how many points we will get from those.