CONFIMRED - Chris Martin (loan)

310 posts
Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rumour - Chris Martin

by Y21 » 12 Jan 2018 10:40

Tommio
Hound He's probably as good as we'll get. Good record, but concerned that I think he has only scored 1 all season, in quite a few minutes on the pitch

To be fair, the way the team is lining up and playing at the moment, Thierry Henry in his prime would struggle to score goals

Sorry you class 5 starts and 800 minutes in 21 games as quite a few minutes?

That does work out (on average) 38 minutes per game. To only score once isn't a great return.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Jan 2018 13:07

Y21
Tommio
Hound He's probably as good as we'll get. Good record, but concerned that I think he has only scored 1 all season, in quite a few minutes on the pitch

To be fair, the way the team is lining up and playing at the moment, Thierry Henry in his prime would struggle to score goals

Sorry you class 5 starts and 800 minutes in 21 games as quite a few minutes?

That does work out (on average) 38 minutes per game. To only score once isn't a great return.

Thanks for doing the math. It didn't seem like hound was being unreasonable in his assertion.

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 12 Jan 2018 13:34

Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

So loan deals it is. If Chris Martin is available, on a loan, i'd take a punt.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 13:35

Press conferences aren’t always eye to eye but it seems to be believable with what Rowett has said. In a nutshell Martin will be kept at Derby if he wants to stay, Rowett doesn’t want him to leave however if any offer comes in then it’s almost entirely in Martin’s hands. Worth noting that Wolves may come back in for him but it would be a sideways move to the Wolves reserves considering the strikers they have...
Source- http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/f ... ssion=true

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jan 2018 13:39

largetrousers Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

He may not be banging them in of recent but can we do any worse when playing formations with wingers as the forward who just don't read the game the same, make the same runs, move the defence in the same way, anticipate things the same etc?

Personally i'd prefer someone with a bit more pace, but he's a fairly solid unit who will put it about and give us another option over kids or a 36 year old.

Take your pick :

1. A 36 year old
  2. A "kid"
  3. An injury prone Icelandic substitute
  4. Or possibly Chris Martin for 5 months

Other clubs would be falling over themselves to have striking options like that.

One87One

by One87One » 12 Jan 2018 13:53

I like Chris Martin. He's used to 'running in circles, chasing our tails'. When asked about our chances of staying up this season, he said "Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be so hard!"

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Jan 2018 14:01

I wouldn't have Martin on loan personally. Had a reputation as a bit of a troublemaker at Norwich.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 12 Jan 2018 14:17

He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2018 14:17

largetrousers Realistically we aren't going to buy anyone in this window, unless others leave to free up the money.

Long term I agree - but in our current situation someone who knows the league well like Martin is probably our best bet.

Certainly for next year would like to see us go for a quicker striker, maybe someone from league 1 or 2

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jan 2018 14:19

El Diablo He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.

Who has been the nousiest player over the years? Cureton has to be up there surely.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2018 14:22

Reading fans: Sign a striker ffs!!
Reading FC: OK, how about the striker who, until August, had scored the most goals out of any player in the Championship over the last 3 seasons?
Reading fans: Ugh, no, not him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jan 2018 14:26

genome Reading fans: Sign a striker ffs!!
Reading FC: OK, how about the striker who, until August, had scored the most goals out of any player in the Championship over the last 3 seasons?
Reading fans: Ugh, no, not him

who is it now out of interest?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2018 14:30

Daryl Murphy, I think, he was just behind him in August and now he has 7 to Martin's 1 this season

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 12 Jan 2018 14:39

Old Man Andrews
El Diablo He's signaficantly better than the sum of everyone else we currently have available in that position , and will add muscle, nous, movement and a target to hit in the box.

Its a yes from me.

Who has been the nousiest player over the years? Cureton has to be up there surely.

Big Dave Kitson - in recent years

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Jan 2018 14:51

El Diablo
Old Man Andrews

Its a yes from me.

Big Dave Kitson - in recent years

Le Fondre on his day. Always fancied him to pounce on anything sloppy from oppo defenders.

Martin has been great for so many seasons, if he is in the right frame of mind to be fighting for points he'd be great, My only concern would be, he has been in relatively successful teams over the years, not sure he would be up for the challenge if only on loan.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 14:52

Hound

Long term I agree - but in our current situation someone who knows the league well like Martin is probably our best bet.

Certainly for next year would like to see us go for a quicker striker, maybe someone from league 1 or 2

The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Jan 2018 15:12

TiagoIlori We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up

This statement is not true young man

Tommio

by Tommio » 12 Jan 2018 15:12

TiagoIlori
Hound

The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

We need 22 points from 20 games to stay up roughly, what makes you think that we need to win nearly half our games?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 12 Jan 2018 15:17

Tommio
TiagoIlori
Hound

We need 22 points from 20 games to stay up roughly, what makes you think that we need to win nearly half our games?

Blackburn went down with 51 points last season and the bottom 3 sides seem to be picking up points all over the place. As I said winning nearly 10 games(or equivalent), is what will keep us up securely without any final day hassle...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jan 2018 15:50

TiagoIlori
Tommio
TiagoIlori The situation up front is almost comparable to 11/12, we lacked a powerful experienced striker that knew where the back of the net was. Jason Roberts came in and we were a completely different team- everyone seemed to take notice after we played Leicester off the park to beat them 3-1, whilst that exact fate won’t be repeated sometimes a experienced striker can make all the difference. We’re in a relegation scrap and need to win nearly half of our games to stay up, forget about the long term we need to preserve championship status first.

Blackburn went down with 51 points last season and the bottom 3 sides seem to be picking up points all over the place. As I said winning nearly 10 games(or equivalent), is what will keep us up securely without any final day hassle...

Yet the year before, Charlton went down with 40 points?

310 posts