Starting XI

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Starting XI

by PistolPete » 17 Jan 2018 17:53

Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the following?

-Bodvarsson must start
-Richards must start
-On form, Illori and Moore are he best two centre backs
-Bacuna must start, and preferably in central midfield
-Popa deserves a start
-Barrow is a shoe-in on the left of the front 3
-Mannone is our best keeper

Therefore, there are 2 midfield positions up for grabs and if the above doesn’t happen then Stam is irreparably stubborn!

Barrow Bod (Popa)
???? Bacuna ????
Richards Illori Moore Gunter
Mannone

Ps Stam in

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Starting XI

by Royalwaster » 17 Jan 2018 18:20

PistolPete Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the following?

-Bodvarsson must start
-Richards must start
-Popa deserves a start

Therefore, there are 2 midfield positions up for grabs and if the above doesn’t happen then Stam is irreparably stubborn!

Barrow Bod (Popa)
???? Bacuna ????
Mannone

Ps Stam in

Disagree - think Beerens should be cloned and play in all positions.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Jan 2018 19:13

Given Swift's injury, Kelly's form and the problems we have with goals scored at both ends, I'd say the obvious midfield is Bacuna, Edwards, Evans. All will get stuck in. All can chip in with goals, all can carry the ball forward and none have a tendency to over-complicate and slow down play.

It's a bit workmanlike. But let's keep it simple.

I'm not sold on Popa, I've seen him look bright and shocking for the U21s. I'd be more tempted by playing one of Beerens or Barrow on the right flank. But certainly couldn't complain if Popa got a little run of 3 games.

Not convinced by Ilori either yet, but he needs a run in the side.

I could see an argument for three cbs, wing backs and two upfront (Barrow and Bod).

If Richards is dropped, Bacuna plays at RB / is on the bench, Bod doesn't start and we still dont begin winning, then I'm moving to the firmly Stam out camp. It's just getting daft now.

Fezza

by Fezza » 17 Jan 2018 19:51

Vito
Gunter Illori Moore Richards
JVB Bacuna
Edwards
Barrow Dadi
Kermit

Swap between 4-2-3-1 in defence and 4-4-2 in attack (Bacuna and Barrow to wings)

Subs: Jaak, Kelly, Evans, Blackett (no-one else fit), Popa, Aluko, Andresson

Look to offload -Beerans, Gmac

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Jan 2018 21:05

I’d consider Dadi on the right wing. Believe he plays there successfully for Iceland
Not writing McCleary off quite yet personally though, think he still has something to offer

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2018 21:12

Hound I’d consider Dadi on the right wing. Believe he plays there successfully for Iceland
Not writing McCleary off quite yet personally though, think he still has something to offer

Though I doubt we'll ever play 442 again, the above might work. Too-slow Kermie up front as a hold-up man
and Dadi in there to run the channels and/or be running in when the ball is with the left wing

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Jan 2018 00:02

PistolPete Is there ANYONE who disagrees with the following?

-Bodvarsson must start
-Richards must start
-Popa deserves a start

Barrow Bod (Popa)
???? Bacuna ????
Mannone

Ps Stam in

Nearly everyone agrees with most of the above except Stam

WTF do you want to keep a manager who has spent the entire season refusing to accept the blindingly regarding team selection, style of play and tactics? By making 10 changes to last nights starting 11, he effectively played what he sees as his 2nd team yet it produced his first win in 8? :P

All of our problems start and finish with one arrogant twat and a bucket of stand in which to place his head.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 18 Jan 2018 01:22

I've said it before - you can allow a young and unproven manager to get it wrong some times, tactics, selections etc dealing with players, game management etc. Its a big step up. BUT BUT BUT said young manager needs to learn and adapt. If he refuses to learn or can't see other than tunnel vision the we have a DUD manager on our hands and he has to go. All the wise old managerial heads in the Chump cut their teeth by getting it wrong - but it all goes into their experience bucket to call on - and they developed as managers. Lets hope Japp does the same

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 18 Jan 2018 07:02

Hmm, warming to the idea of Bod on the right. Can’t say I see it as a long term solution, but for now? Sure

The reasons for why I am still ‘Stam in’ at evest kept for another thread

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Jan 2018 09:53

PistolPete Hmm, warming to the idea of Bod on the right. Can’t say I see it as a long term solution, but for now? Sure

Whose idea was that?! He's a target man not a winger! Taking tips out of the Alan Pardew book of tactics

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 18 Jan 2018 09:57

People getting carried away by Bod scoring a hattrick against League Two opposition :lol:

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Jan 2018 10:07

dangerous dave needs to be in that midfield if fit.
and then evans if Kelly isn't going well.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Jan 2018 10:08

TBM People getting carried away by Bod scoring a hattrick against League Two opposition :lol:

striker in any kind of form>>>>>>>>>>>striker in no form>>>>>>>out of position midfielder up front

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 10:42

TBM People getting carried away by Bod scoring a hattrick against League Two opposition :lol:

not sure anyone is getting carried away. He should have had a lot more starts based on his form in the league games as well.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 18 Jan 2018 11:04

Mannone Gunter Richards Illori Moore Edwards Evans Bacuna Barrow Popa Bod .

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 18 Jan 2018 11:12

John Smith
PistolPete Hmm, warming to the idea of Bod on the right. Can’t say I see it as a long term solution, but for now? Sure

Whose idea was that?! He's a target man not a winger! Taking tips out of the Alan Pardew book of tactics

Hound reckons he plays there for Iceland, so maybe he’s not the target man we all think he’s supposed to be?

ronnyroyal

by ronnyroyal » 18 Jan 2018 11:12

I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

It’s possible that the vultures and boo boys could ruin the kids confidence if he messes up, whereas Gunter takes it week it week out.

Also it’s not a time for change for me, it’s about stability.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jan 2018 11:22

ronnyroyal I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

It’s possible that the vultures and boo boys could ruin the kids confidence if he messes up, whereas Gunter takes it week it week out.

Get the point, but Richards doesn't seem to have been affected by the pressure so far, and has the fans very much on his side at the moment

Bacuna does a good job as a fill in RB, but we need his abilities and work rate in CM, where we are pretty rubbish currently

ronnyroyal

by ronnyroyal » 18 Jan 2018 11:33

Hound
ronnyroyal I think people get carried away with Richards. He does look great, but under the pressure that we are at the moment I’d rather stick Gunter in there and cover RB with someone else (Bacuna etc).

Get the point, but Richards doesn't seem to have been affected by the pressure so far, and has the fans very much on his side at the moment

Bacuna does a good job as a fill in RB, but we need his abilities and work rate in CM, where we are pretty rubbish currently

I agree.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Jan 2018 11:36

Hound

I think Jaap has to desperately try to get Bacuna in that Danny Williams role. We have missed that driving force in midfield so badly this season and I think Bacuna is about as close as we have to Williams in terms of athleticism and energy.