214 posts

In or Out?

In - things can only get better
19%
Out - I’m gonna leave you baby
71%
Don’t know - dunno lol
5%
FiNeRaIn (because he's had enough of all these Ian Royal - consumer rights champion options)
5%

Total votes: 185
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Unfortunately ANOTHER In or Out poll

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2018 15:52

Hound fairly interesting that a lot of the chat from the new boys has been about what a pull Stam is to the club.

I'm kind of turning back a little bit, and I know its only on one win. I think he is a good figurehead and I can understand the club being extremely wary of sacking him.

However do think that something needs to change. Think maybe Stam needs to take a look at what is being offered by the coaching team and assistants. Point was made on another thread about the pre-match warm ups always being the same, despite the fact that we have barely scored a goal before ht this year. The players don't look especially fit either, and there are definitely a couple who look to be carrying a few additional pounds this year

Not sure if its my memory playing tricks on me, but the example everyone uses of sticking with the boss is Gary Johnson at Brizzle - and I believe he sacked his assistant about this time last year, which seemed to prompt a change in fortune

I think it could be reasonable to look at a change in coaching.

Stam has AU as his assistant who he obviously trusts, but beyond that he is still working it out and it might take him years to find that coach or handful of coaches, who makes everything click. It might've been a shock to see Reid go, but if he wasn't going to fit in with the long term plan, it is understandable. Gilks is a new addition and is probably still finding his feet with the first team and who will hopefully improve in time.

Look at Warnock, he has the same team around him wherever he goes, but that wouldn't have happened overnight and has probably taken him years to forge those relationships and put his trust in the coaches who are going to best execute his plans.

People forget but we have a young, relatively inexperienced team and coaches who will be learning everyday and these things take time.

Everyone has their opinion on Stam, and more than welcome to voice that opinion. I like him, yes his football can be tedious at times, but I can see what he is trying to do, he is trying to get us playing in a way that has proven to be successful at the top level and is totally alien to us as Reading fans, but for whatever reason, it just isn't coming together right now, maybe it is his style, maybe the players just don't have the confidence in their own ability to perform to his expected level, don't know. What I do know is that he has the full backing of the players (that is evident from the photo from Burton) and, presumably the board and he is probably here to stay. I think it may have been AU who said it, but Stam isn't on the sideline with a PlayStation controller making the bad passes himself. There is far too many knee-jerk reactions in football these days, a lot of that is down to money obviously and desire for instant success.

I want to support the football club who bucks that trend, who sticks with a manager through bad times and to come out on the other end with success and for people to say - Look at Reading, they were doing so badly with Stam, could've sacked him, but they stuck with him, he has learned his mistakes and are now reaping the benefits.

Stam IN.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Feb 2018 15:54

Hoop Blah
Hound fairly interesting that a lot of the chat from the new boys has been about what a pull Stam is to the club.

I'm kind of turning back a little bit, and I know its only on one win. I think he is a good figurehead and I can understand the club being extremely wary of sacking him.

Players, and managers, spout so much rubbish during these interviews that I would take any such comments with a huge pinch of salt.

I don't know. It was plainly obvious that Moore wanted to come and play for Reading because of who the manager was.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2018 16:00

just a little bit further on this - would like to see Scott Marshall more involved in the first team. He seems to have cracked the style in the U23s

Obvs its different at Champ level where the players and scouting is going to be better, but I think it would be a positive step. Would also help bring few some of the better youngsters which I think we'd all be keen to see.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2018 16:38

John Smith What's the verdict if we lose tomorrow?

We won't but, ifs and buts and that.

I'd say the win at Burton gives him two games grace now. If he has poor performances and results in both, and we slip back to 4 points or under from the relegation zone, he should probably go. Maintain a 5-6 point gap and pick up the odd result here and there and lets see if he can sort this omni-shambles out with a proper pre-season.

If he does make it to the summer and I was the owner, I'd be refusing to let him sign lots of players. I'd say 3-4 max without others leaving. And two of them have to be a full back and striker.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2018 17:28

If Obita’s knee is working again, then we’d have Gunter, Watson, Obita and Richards. If we are giving these lads 3 year contracts let’s play them (or at least on the bench)

biff

by biff » 02 Feb 2018 18:31

Still out. My University team would've beaten Burton, and to nil. It's been boring for 2 years and will continue to be so.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Feb 2018 19:06

biff Still out. My University team would've beaten Burton, and to nil. It's been boring for 2 years and will continue to be so.

They really wouldn't though, would they?

Just saying.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 02 Feb 2018 19:08

However do think that something needs to change. Think maybe Stam needs to take a look at what is being offered by the coaching team and assistants. Point was made on another thread about the pre-match warm ups always being the same, despite the fact that we have barely scored a goal before ht this year. The players don't look especially fit either, and there are definitely a couple who look to be carrying a few additional pounds this year

Not sure if its my memory playing tricks on me, but the example everyone uses of sticking with the boss is Lee Johnson at Brizzle - and I believe he sacked his assistant about this time last year, which seemed to prompt a change in fortune

Interesting about the warm-ups. I always remember being impressed by our warm-ups under Pardew (Championship seasons), they looked better than the opposition ones, and this carried on with Coppell until Jon Goodman left to join Wolves (?) summer 2007 and we got the Wolves guy as his replacement. Wasn't that impressed after that and tbh I haven't really noticed for ages. Our injury record in the last 10 and a bit years doesn't seem to be as good as it was in the previous 5.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2018 19:41

Hound If Obita’s knee is working again, then we’d have Gunter, Watson, Obita and Richards. If we are giving these lads 3 year contracts let’s play them (or at least on the bench)

Fair point, well made.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2018 19:44

CountryRoyal
biff Still out. My University team would've beaten Burton, and to nil. It's been boring for 2 years and will continue to be so.

They really wouldn't though, would they?

Just saying.

Don't be daft, why would you earn £10k a week as a professional footballer when you could be gathering £20k of debt doing Media Studies at the University of Middle England.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Feb 2018 19:57

(take that to your politics post Ian) KPOTT

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Feb 2018 20:26

Why are you posting on this forum then?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Feb 2018 17:12

Stam has to make big changes

Sticking with what I was musing in the week. He should either completely change the coaching about, bring in someone fresh

Or if he isn’t strong enough to do that then he should lose his job

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 03 Feb 2018 17:49

Don’t go to the next home game and he’ll be gone… it’s up to the fans now. And please don’t come on here moaning after the next home game because if you do show up then you only have yourself to blame for this twat being RFC manager

214 posts