BFG QPR

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFG QPR

by Zip » 31 Mar 2018 08:28

genome
Zip
Platypuss Let's not carried away. Same faultlines still present in spades. QPR should have scored at least 2 in first half and looked a far more cohesive team..

But still, fcuk 'em. Bodies on the line and passion won the day. The quality should follow, I hope.

Agreed. QPR are in the bottom half and should really have won today. The stats confirm we had just 5 attempts at goal. They had a staggering 27. They dominated possession with 67%. We still switched off painfully at times. From one corner they had a player completely unmarked.
Loads to work on and we remain far from safe.

27 shots but only 3 of them were on target. A lot of them were long range shots blocked by the back line. 14 blocks in fact.

Their finishing was woeful although there were some desperately needed blocks there too. It showed the team were fighting in a way we have not seen this season and as a fanbase we duly responded. As supporters we do have passion. I cannot think of any other set of supporters who could have been passionate about the laboured and lethargic football we have watched too often at home under Stam.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Mar 2018 08:29

tidus_mi2 It's Illori, not Illuko.

It’s Ilori, not Illori.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 Mar 2018 08:33

Zip We played like the away side today looking to catch them on the break. That’s fine for now as we look to fight our way out of trouble. I would want Clement to be more ambitious next season though.

Exactly. The team aren’t going to suddenly be flawless after 4 days training with a new manager. I don’t care how we win, we got the 3 points, that’s all that matters. Worry about performing well in the summer when we are hopefully safe.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 31 Mar 2018 08:44

Win ugly.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2018 08:54

genome
Zip We played like the away side today looking to catch them on the break. That’s fine for now as we look to fight our way out of trouble. I would want Clement to be more ambitious next season though.

Exactly. The team aren’t going to suddenly be flawless after 4 days training with a new manager. I don’t care how we win, we got the 3 points, that’s all that matters. Worry about performing well in the summer when we are hopefully safe.

Yep it’s all about survival now. It was good to see players winning those 50/50 challenges at the end. God knows why it has taken this long but in the end they were showing the fight that I didn’t think was within this group of players.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Mar 2018 09:06

Delighted with the battling, fight and will of the players. We can officially put to bed the myth that Stam was this messiah to the players and that they wouldn't want to play for anyone else.

Clement has done something to boost the confidence of Blackett and Aluko in the space of a week, Stam couldn't do that as he doesn't have it in him.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Mar 2018 09:09

Was absolutely shattered when I got in last night. Well how was that for excitement?!?

I thought we started off excellently, controlled the game and was playing in their half however failed to really create any clear cut openings. It was encouraging none the less. We eventually went ahead with a worldy from the best player on the pitch at the time and everything looked rosy. Then we sat back, let QPR control the ball and grow into the game and it was pretty much a battle from their on out and a real defensive test. It's a weird one, because despite all of their shots and decent chances (there were still a few) I thought we were much better defensively. We actually had a shape to us and you could see already in such a short period of time the level of organisation that we want to achieve, it was a pleasure to watch! There were still one or two careless mistakes (Ilori passing the ball to a QPR player in our box when trying to clear, Edwards/Blackett losing possession in fairly dangerous areas) but for the most part I thought we actually defended a lot better. I think the problem came, as others have said, that we had a fairly statuesque midfield, and it was easy to bypass them. Whilst I would have wanted to see us press and try and win the ball back more I think yesterday was a really good defensive exercise and it was a performance that this team and the fans needed, proper gritty, back to the walls kind of stuff.

That all being said I thought QPR were very good. A case of "if only" but they cut through us like a butter at times, their play in the middle of the park was excellent but were let down in the final third. Were it not for some woeful finishing and good last ditch defending/blocks, they would have won comfortably. I thought their fans were decent value as well made a decent amount of noise. Lol @ the tool that got kicked out like 10 minutes into the game.

The officials were a joke, linesmen on both sides made so many wrong calls for both teams. I actually thought the referee got most of the decisions spot on, however when it came to his brandishing of cards he had no clue. Honestly every single QPR foul in the first half could have been given a yellow, they were all cynical and stopping us break, I and others around me couldn't believe that none were punished. When he finally did get the yellows out I think he lost the plot. Kermorgant's red card has to be about the softest I've ever seen. Penalty shouldn't have even been an issue because he should have stopped play for Barrow's head injury.

I can't be arsed to do ratings but well done to Mannone, and a heroic effort from many. Shout outs to Blackett and Aluko for much improved performances.

As for the crowd we were good at times, but for a long spell throughout the game we were deathly silent. That feeling at the end though, that is what Stam sucked out of this club - got to keep pushing forward now. Happy days though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Mar 2018 09:29

Will do a write up in a bit but wanted to ask/note that we seems to score a lot of very nice goals against QPR. Didn't McCleary get 1 in each of our league games a few seasons ago? Both great shots from distance.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Mar 2018 09:32

NewCorkSeth Will do a write up in a bit but wanted to ask/note that we seems to score a lot of very nice goals against QPR. Didn't McCleary get 1 in each of our league games a few seasons ago? Both great shots from distance.

Good shout, Long scored from outside of the box at Loftus Road as well. Think we lost 3-1 iirc.

Diablo Diablo

by Diablo Diablo » 31 Mar 2018 09:50

Was great to watch a win at last and to see changes in approach.

Not once do I recall any attempt to play out by Mannone via the full backs/defenders, played with two banks of players (like visitors do when we play possession football) particularly after scoring which were very narrow and barely pressed on them at all when they had the ball in their own half i.e. they cannot hurt us.

Zonal marking - now that was a surprise and not something I like to be honest but we did somehow keep a clean sheet - Moore seemed to be shouting/screaming and organising the back four non stop (next captain if not sold in the summer).

Less said about the ref the better though it was a penalty - stupid tackle by Edwards but he had worked incredibly hard and looked all in ages before that (Bacuna had a right go at him !) and we thought him and Swift would have been subbed for Clement and Evans much earlier to give some legs out there.

The team really put themselves on the line with the last ditch defending and commitment and this came through to the crowd.

All led to a great finale (not sure I can take too many 90th minute penalties) as the fans really got going in a way I have not seen for so long and such an important 3 points with plenty of fans there at the end to cheer the players and great reaction from them.

Back to reality - I appreciate we need to do what is necessary to stay up. But - we cannot play like that every week for the future, this was in pure footballing terms one of our worst performances of the season but the best in other ways.

OK for first 11 minutes, then a short spell in the second half but QPR ran the game and how they failed to score is unbelievable.

We will need to maintain more possession and be more offensive - we did the classic for our position in going 1 up (great goal) and completely sat back on it.

Have not come away from a game having enjoyed it for so long hopefully this is a foundation to now build on - lets break the Saturday win hoodoo at home with two games coming up !!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 31 Mar 2018 10:00

Mannone - 9 - So glad hes back in the team. He was calm and assured throughout. I thought he made 3 saves but I see most people are saying it was 2. He showed Jaakola how to fist away a ball properly and made a fantastic save for the penalty. His passing was vastly superior to Jaakolas. No faffing about giving the opposition time to mark up, quick, clean passing. MOTM.

Gunter - 6 - Back to his standard performance I thought. Better in attack than in defense which is simply not good enough for a team fighting relegation.

Moore - 8 - Commanding and confident. He won everything. Hopefully we keep him.

Ilori - 7 - One mistake all game and you cant really hold that against him. Could create a beautiful partnership with Moore if we keep both.

Blackett - 7 - I thought he was brilliant, all of the skill with none of the obvious f*ck ups. Drifted in a bit more than Gunter did in defense which worked for him this game but could easily be his downfall another day.

Edwards - 6 - Second penalty given away? Was a stupid challenge that ruined his otherwise pretty good day. He was clearly instructed to break up play and recycle possession which he is actually pretty good at. Maybe just keep him out of the box?

JVDB - 6 - I hope (maybe) Clement will have seen hes just not good enough. Although Evans didn't do much to show him he should be starting.

Swift - 6 - On another day his running and movement would have led to a goal. He was marked out of it well by QPR.

Barrow - 7 - A constant threat. Even if he doesnt score or assist he demands attention for 90 minutes.

Aluko - 8 - Remarkably able to show off his best qualities when playing in his best position. I, and many others on here, noted many moons ago he was best when on the wing given room to take on his man. We were right. This armchair management gig is pretty easy.

Martin - 6 - Bit shit.. Didnt remotely look like being a threat.

Evans - 5 - Poor

Bacuna - 6 - Poorish

Kermorgant - 4 - ...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2018 10:21

There is pretty much only one thing that is important currently and that is getting the 3 points which we achieved

There were good signs in the defensive organisation and the increased work rate, but Jaap has left us a bit of a shambles (and tbf a lot of injuries). It’s going to take a good preseason to turn us around properly - I certainly would hope and expect we’d be more ambitious come next season

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2018 10:30

As noted above, I thought QPR were a good side. Best I’ve seen since Wolves

QPR supporting mate told me early in the season that Freeman (#7) was a proper talent and he was right. Looked a cracking player

They moved it about quickly and precisely in midfield and were cynical when they had to be. This is a side that battered Villa and should have beaten the Barcelona of SW London in their last away 2 games

Showed how good we were defensively that Mannone had 2 saves (one the pen) in the entire match. Not like they put more than 1 or 2 presentable chances off target either

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Mar 2018 10:51

Hound As noted above, I thought QPR were a good side. Best I’ve seen since Wolves

QPR supporting mate told me early in the season that Freeman (#7) was a proper talent and he was right. Looked a cracking player

They moved it about quickly and precisely in midfield and were cynical when they had to be. This is a side that battered Villa and should have beaten the Barcelona of SW London in their last away 2 games

Showed how good we were defensively that Mannone had 2 saves (one the pen) in the entire match. Not like they put more than 1 or 2 presentable chances off target either

Agree with all of this.

Noticed also that the defence was set up very narrow. I think this suits Blackett, as he's acting more like a wide centre back than a full back. And it meant that Moore was in his ear a bit more. But QPR noticed as well, and particularly second half they overloaded the flanks, as that's where there was space. A number of times there were two or three QPR players facing Gunts, (with Aluko nowhere to be seen), he clearly didn't know whether to stick or twist, and stood off to stop them running into the box, but he wasn't stopping crosses. If you're going to set up defensively like that, you need midfielders to track runs, rather than standing and watching. Occasionally, Aluko did come back to help out, but he seemed dead on his feet from about 70 minutes.

Which leads me onto something else. Swift is unfit still, but a lot of other players were struggling from about 70 minutes on. The sooner Karl Halabi starts work properly on these guys, the better! I think fitness is a big part of why we concede so many in injury time.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Mar 2018 10:56

Stam had Aluko for 7 months, Clement has seen him for about 7 days.
Right from the off he was at it and in the second half he didn't feature much as it was just backs against the wall.

For football matches I often bet on number of corners and yesterday there were more than the quoted 10.
The other thing I go for is bookings which are usually quoted at 3-4 but success or otherwise is so referee-dependent and Mr Coote likes a booking or 6.
He started slowly but gained momentum.
The only shame for me was not being able to get a bet on because bookies will only quote for Premier League and/or televised games.
His performance was normal for him.
Yann, for a professional for 50 years, or however long he has been playing, was unprofessional and could have cost us the game-time to retire Yann.

As others have said, a battling performance from what we are, a team not much better than Div 1 standard but that penalty save could well mean enough points to stay up and well done to the keeper that Stam dropped.

What stood out again yesterday for me is that we don't have a Maddison, a Freeman or the like to quickly move the ball through midfield.
A fully fit Jonny Swift might be able to do it but none of Edwards, Evans or Joey can and a fit Kelly (is he injured again?) might but next season we surely have to develop a pass and move game.

So as for yesterday, what a relief and now we are much more likely than not to be playing at this level next season thank goodness because I don't want to be watching Accrington or Oxford ,Wycombe or Fleetwood on a regular basis.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 31 Mar 2018 11:13

Bacuna, Swift and Kelly if (and a huge if) they were all fit would be a tasty midfield

Would be what I’d like to see long term

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Mar 2018 11:39

I fancy QPR to make top 6 next season. They had a terrible start to the season, but have beaten some good sides recently and looked decent. Two good attacking full backs too.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 31 Mar 2018 11:41

Can't fault the commitment but that game highlighted how bad we have become under Stam. Compare the money we have spent with QPR, who Hollaway has assembled on a tight budget and you wonder why we had to spent the majority of the second half hanging on. We managed to make a lower mid table Championship side look like Man City!
Just hope that was a one off performance to get a much needed win at any cost so as to give the players a confidence boost and a bit of belief. Wouldn't want to sit through too many games like that but just a relief to get 3 points.

Berry

by Berry » 31 Mar 2018 11:42

It was like the Tenacity, Spirit and Flair period had resurfaced..... Brought a tear of happiness to my eye yesterday

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 31 Mar 2018 11:45

Berry It was like the Tenacity, Spirit and Flair period had resurfaced..... Brought a tear of happiness to my eye yesterday

Piss off Nigel.