BFTG Villa

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

Re: BFTG Villa

by LWJ » 04 Apr 2018 09:40

Blackett didn't have a bad game - just out numbered by Elmohamdy(sp?) and Snodgrass.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 04 Apr 2018 09:41

NewCorkSeth
LWJ
windermereROYAL I`m wondering what Mendes has to do to get a start?

Not be injured?

That's no excuse. Man up Mendes.

Clement OUT if he doesn't play a half crooked striker next game instead of Smith or Martin. :roll:

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 04 Apr 2018 09:46

NewCorkSeth
Coppells Lost Coat Didn't go last night, but from I read it seemed it was Snodgrass' delivery that was the difference between the teams. With the talent Villa had upfront, any half decent ball in the box would cause most teams problems. Given it was against 10 men dont think anyone can be surprised or even over react with the score.
Edwards on the other hand is an absolute moron. I hope he apoligised to the dressing room and addresses the fans - or at least the ones that traveled up.

Can confirm Snodgrass looked dangerous very second he was on the pitch. I thought he was Grealish for the first half till I checked the Villa squad numbers.
A lot of people seem to be saying Barrow gave Blackett no support but I think he just wasn't able to, Snodgrass was just too good last night.

My point about this was that in the first half with 11 v 11, Blackett was tucked in narrow alongside the two centre backs, Barrow was twenty to thirty yards in front of him nearer the halfway line (also quite narrow) and Snodgrass was left on his own hugging the touch line halfway between the two of them. In my opinion, Barrow in that position should be wider and closer to Snodgrass, not just allowing one of the two Villa centre backs to pick an easy diagonal out to Snodgrass, in acres of room, for a free run towards the corner of the box before Blackett is able to get over to cover the attack. That, in my opinion, is why Barrow was not covering/supporting Blackett enough.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 04 Apr 2018 09:49

Brum Royal
NewCorkSeth
Coppells Lost Coat Didn't go last night, but from I read it seemed it was Snodgrass' delivery that was the difference between the teams. With the talent Villa had upfront, any half decent ball in the box would cause most teams problems. Given it was against 10 men dont think anyone can be surprised or even over react with the score.
Edwards on the other hand is an absolute moron. I hope he apoligised to the dressing room and addresses the fans - or at least the ones that traveled up.

Can confirm Snodgrass looked dangerous very second he was on the pitch. I thought he was Grealish for the first half till I checked the Villa squad numbers.
A lot of people seem to be saying Barrow gave Blackett no support but I think he just wasn't able to, Snodgrass was just too good last night.

My point about this was that in the first half with 11 v 11, Blackett was tucked in narrow alongside the two centre backs, Barrow was twenty to thirty yards in front of him nearer the halfway line (also quite narrow) and Snodgrass was left on his own hugging the touch line halfway between the two of them. In my opinion, Barrow in that position should be wider and closer to Snodgrass, not just allowing one of the two Villa centre backs to pick an easy diagonal out to Snodgrass, in acres of room, for a free run towards the corner of the box before Blackett is able to get over to cover the attack. That, in my opinion, is why Barrow was not covering/supporting Blackett enough.
you win some you lose some

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Apr 2018 09:51

Brum Royal
NewCorkSeth

I see. I have often noted on here that Blackett when playing LB drifts in far closer than Gunter does on the opposite side leaving an imbalance in defence.
Asking Barrow to cover for that is a waste of his strengths in attack. The only sensible solution to me (with Obita out) is to play Gunter at LB (or Richards I guess) and Bacuna at RB.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 04 Apr 2018 10:02

NewCorkSeth
Brum Royal
NewCorkSeth Can confirm Snodgrass looked dangerous very second he was on the pitch. I thought he was Grealish for the first half till I checked the Villa squad numbers.

I see. I have often noted on here that Blackett when playing LB drifts in far closer than Gunter does on the opposite side leaving an imbalance in defence.
Asking Barrow to cover for that is a waste of his strengths in attack. The only sensible solution to me (with Obita out) is to play Gunter at LB (or Richards I guess) and Bacuna at RB.

Or a 5 man defence, and play all the above, Blackett at cb. wing backs either Gunter, Richards or Bacuna (Obita if / when fit). There would be natural width with the formation. Use our squad rather than pick a formation and plug holes with who could do a job. It would take the pressure off the likes of Barrow and Aluko of tracking back - use their strengths.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 04 Apr 2018 10:10

leon
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
leon
Just shows what a shit state Stam left us in.

And so it begins. Change the manager with 8 games to go and he can always blame the previous regime if he gets relegated. FWIW, Im not reading too much into this result, nor do I think we will get relegated, but you seem to have your excuses all ready if we do.

No. I’m saying we’re in the shit. Stam left us in it.

Unfit, disorganised, unbalanced. That much is clear. It was fairly clear 5 months ago.

The board did nothing to rectify it except sack him too late and bring in a mate of the chief execs with less managerial games under his belt.

We will see what happens.

Birmingham have won 3 out of 5 games under their new manager the “fraud” Gary Monk so it can be done.

Dont disagree with any of that, even the fraud in quotes.
Think we need 4-6 points now. I reckon thats doable. Just dont want the club to start feeling sorry for itself and start looking for excuses.

Nomad_Royal

by Nomad_Royal » 04 Apr 2018 10:37

Brum Royal
NewCorkSeth

Have to agree with that. I have never really been a fan of Blackett at fb , but last night he got zero support from Barrow who was always 20-30 yards forward ambling back while Blackett was left to deal with the marauding villa players. The majority of the danger came down that wing. I'm not sure what the answer is as I know Barrows speed can change the game when attacking, but Blackett and Barrow doesn't work defensively.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Apr 2018 10:57

LWJ
NewCorkSeth
LWJ Not be injured?

That's no excuse. Man up Mendes.

Clement OUT if he doesn't play a half crooked striker next game instead of Smith or Martin. :roll:

Well he`s back in full training and had a full game for the U23s a coule of weeks ago. . while on the subject of injuries . doesnt look like we will see Elphick again any time soon, wasnt he pencilled in for a return to action against QPR?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Apr 2018 11:16

windermereROYAL
LWJ
NewCorkSeth That's no excuse. Man up Mendes.

Well he`s back in full training and had a full game for the U23s a coule of weeks ago. . while on the subject of injuries . doesnt look like we will see Elphick again any time soon, wasnt he pencilled in for a return to action against QPR?

He couldn't have played last night even if fit so it might be that we want to give him another week rather than play him one game then have to bring someone else in. However we've heard very little on him so that may suggest you're right and he's still some way off a return.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2018 12:26

JLows mentioned a few times he is near full fitness

Not expecting to see him start on Saturday. On the bench though hopefully. Setting up with him, Moore and the new improved Ilori in a back 5 might be an option in those tough away games coming up

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Apr 2018 12:28

Hound JLows mentioned a few times he is near full fitness

Not expecting to see him start on Saturday. On the bench though hopefully. Setting up with him, Moore and the new improved Ilori in a back 5 might be an option in those tough away games coming up

Still might have a left back issue though. Blackett looked good against QPR at times but I fear it may have been an isolated incident. Barrow just isn't going to offer him any protection either. Such a shame Richards isn't fit, this could have been his time to shine.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2018 12:41

Brum Royal Well that was a bit of an odd game. At 0-0 with 11 men we looked like being competitive, albeit set up to keep it tight and play for 0-0 and hitting on the break. Edwards sending off I thought was a little harsh, the first was a justified yellow (sliding through the back of a man on the counter attack and getting more man than ball), the second I thought the ref might have been a bit more lenient on - another challenge from behind, but looked like Edwards tried to pull out of it and definitely didn't go through with studs showing or high. From then on it was purely a game of attack v defence, with the two Villa CBs playing largely on the halfway line for much of the last hour.

The defending and keeping I thought tonight was full of commitment, vital blocks, clearances and headers all over the place. We looked committed, and Villa's weight of numbers eventually told as we still played for damage limitation. In the end we had Vito to thank for a string of what must have been 6 or 7 really, really good saves tonight to keep the scoreline respectable. With a lesser keeper tonight we could have leaked 6,7 or 8 given the volume of chances Villa created second half. The only blot on his copy book was the failure to clear for the third goal, but given the rest of his game I'll let him off.

Vito - 8 despitebeing guilty for the third
Blackett - 5, generally pretty solid, left far too over exposed by Barrow first half
Moore - 6, lots of clearances, especially first half
Illori - 6, see Moore
Gunter - 5, average, one really good low cross in to the box second half
Edwards - 4, two sloppy tackles, maybe harsh to get a red as mentioned above, but looked clumsy most of the night
Evans - 5, where is our Evans of last season? largely anonymous in a rearguard action
Bacuna - 4, another fairly anonymous performance in central midfield
Barrow - 2, one counter attacking break resulting in a blocked shot in the second half aside, he was an absolute passenger tonight, left Blackett exposed so often first half against Snodgrass, who just hugged the touchline and had 15 yards to himself for much of the first half. When pushed up front second half, did little to close down defenders when they had the ball, just jogged around in the vicinity of play. I like Barrow a lot, but tonight he was awful
Aluko - 5, worked hard, and at least protected Gunter more than Barrow did
Smith - 4, tried hard but just got outmuscled and outthought by two experienced centre backs tonight. Terry v Smith was actual men against boys - he'll learn a lot from tonight I hope.

Kelly - 5, not a great back pass for their third goal
Martin - 5, put himself about a bit, largely ineffectively
Clement (player) - 5, one of his better performances from the games I've seen this year, looked quite lively and put himself about a bit

Clement (boss) - 5, thought the changes were the right ones at the time, Smith did little up top, and Martin won a few headers more than Smith did. Barrow going up top against two slow defenders was a good idea and had we still got 11 on the pitch could have worked even better

Overall a frustrating night as what could have been an opportunity to take a point from a misfiring Villa became a comfortable win for them after the sending off, and once the first goal went in was just going to be a matter or how many we could restrict them too. Given the amount of chances Villa had, 3-0 is actually a bit of let off.

Cheers Brum, that reads as a good, interesting balanced report.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2018 12:45

CountryRoyal
blueroyals At least under Stam we'd retain the ball and make the other team work for it, and I'm sure we'd have managed more than the 1 shot on target we've had in the last 2 games...

I was thinking the exact same thing. I’d rather be bored to death watching us pass it around the back 4 and concede the inevitable goal then completely surrender possession and watch us concede 55 (FIFTY FIVE) shots in our last two games.

Obviously Stam had to go, but come on someone needs to tell the players they’re allowed to go for it wtf.

It was a training game. Attack V defence.

I find this very amusing.

Two weeks ago virtually everyone said anything was better than Stam, we needed to have more fight and be more direct, two games and three points later and people are missing possession no points. :lol:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2018 12:55

I don’t know why people still think we were dominating possession under Stam. We haven’t dominated possession for months. We even had less possession than Bolton when we played them at home

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Apr 2018 13:44

Edwards has to go.

A completely average footballer - not cut out for Championship level with the sole interest of making a career after it. If it wasn't for Mannone he'd have cost us 5 points in two days.

oxf*rd off to punditry you absolute waste of time. P45 in the post now.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 04 Apr 2018 13:53

Hound I don’t know why people still think we were dominating possession under Stam. We haven’t dominated possession for months. We even had less possession than Bolton when we played them at home

People make their mind up early, and then take an awful long to change it. You'd still see people saying Stam was too stubborn to change his gameplan even though he clearly had done. It didn't help, but that wasn't because he didn't try different things.

It's the same with players sometimes - some players get criticism based on what they were like a year ago, some trade on past glories. It's a sort of inertia, takes a while for perception to catch up with reality.

Not saying I'm innocent of it myself, mind. Kebe will always be King and could save the club singlehandedly, even though he doesn't even play anymore.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Apr 2018 14:22

genome
Not you, but I’ve seen it around on social media. And others suddenly piping up saying they’re not fans of Clement. You did say you’d rather be watching Stam’s style though.

I wouldn’t read too much into the style of football we are playing at this point.

Snowflake Royal I find this very amusing.

Two weeks ago virtually everyone said anything was better than Stam, we needed to have more fight and be more direct, two games and three points later and people are missing possession no points. :lol:

Let me clarify my stance for the sake of avoiding confusion. I was making reference to Stam's "style", as despicable as it was, for the purpose of hyperbole to really express how bad I thought yesterday was. I probably didn't execute it right, besides as others have said in latter stages Stam's style didn't even resemble Stam's style but I digress.

This has nothing to do with playing style's per se and I am fully 100% behind Clement, one would have to be a complete reactionary tard to be other wise. Unlike the QPR game I didn't see any substantial effort to compete. Our game plan honestly was to give them the ball and let them attack us. Mannone would boot it up to Smith or Barrow who are hardly going to win anything in the air, but if they by chance did, they were entirely isolated and had no one with in 30 feet of them to try and pick up the second ball. It was clear there was very little sustained desire to go forward. It was only at 3-0 down when we had more then 1 player in their half for the first time in the second half. It wasn't like we were completely under the cosh from a supreme Villa side. The way I saw it was a professional performance and they did what they had to, they didn't have to work very hard to win the ball back. There were several occasions where in open play we were clear favourites to win a ball, but backed off completely to keep their defensive shape and surrender possession to Villa.

We can discard any praise for players going forward, because we didn't do anything, as Clement said in his interview afterwards "we forgot to attack". I thought defensively we poor, especially the fullbacks, gave Villa way too much space, and as I have said earlier I thought Gunter was anonymous, time and time again I saw Aluko trying hopelessly to pick up his man while Gunter was standing in the middle of no where marking no one and being completely ineffective. Blackett got no where near their wide men and had a torrid time. The only reason Ilori and Moore made so many clearances was just a percentage game. They had 53 crosses come into the box. It should also be mentioned that I felt we looked off the pace straight off the bat, we looked fatigued and lethargic off the back of the QPR game which I think explains a lot.

Also I had to laugh, that wonder strike which broke the deadlock was exactly that. The same lad had 4 or 5 long shots throughout the game and every single one was row z, apart from the one which almost went out for a throw. So for him to hit it first time so sweetly into the top corner was a bit annoying :lol:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 04 Apr 2018 15:27

I guess that Clement is still trying to get to grips with his team. Away at Villa wasn't a particularly winnable game and it makes sense for him to try things out.

Whitley

by Whitley » 04 Apr 2018 15:29

The less said about yesterdays game the better, our strategy from the start was clearly to try to hold on for 0-0. Even before the red card we didn't get close enough or put a challenge in and seemed far to content to stand off them. They had clearly done their homework and focused attacks down Blacketts side where Barrow offered him no protection and there seemed minimal communication between Barrow and Blackett . After the red card them scoring was just a matter of time, once they scored it was a question of how many.

Edwards' sending off gave us very little chance of getting something out of this game, even though we didn't have much anyway. Was an unnecessary tackle that a player of his experience shouldn't be making.

Despite his mistake for their 3rd goal Mannone was the only player to come out of the game with any credit for us.

Bring on Saturday