BFTG Sunderland

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Sunderland

by Denver Royal » 18 Apr 2018 14:57

Tilehurstsouthbank Now don't dismiss this out of hand as the ramblings of a madman, but what about Tyler in there as the defensive holding player? Big strong lad who can tackle. Fairly mobile and has shown he can also pick a gem of a pass at times..

Fair shout, tbh, Tilehurst. It would appear that some of his traits and skill-set would seem to lend itself to that role. We have a need there, plus we haven't really been able to find his best position thus far anyway (either at FB or CB). So, if it ever worked out, it would solve a couple questions, for us and him. I for one would be ok with giving that a try in pre-season, esp. if we don't sign anyone.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Apr 2018 15:04

Denver Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank Now don't dismiss this out of hand as the ramblings of a madman, but what about Tyler in there as the defensive holding player? Big strong lad who can tackle. Fairly mobile and has shown he can also pick a gem of a pass at times..

Fair shout, tbh, Tilehurst. It would appear that some of his traits and skill-set would seem to lend itself to that role. We have a need there, plus we haven't really been able to find his best position thus far anyway (either at FB or CB). So, if it ever worked out, it would solve a couple questions, for us and him. I for one would be ok with giving that a try in pre-season, esp. if we don't sign anyone.

Thought of this slot for Lori, too

Hell I could live with them both there!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Apr 2018 15:14

Think Blackett was a midfielder in his youth career, so may well have a bit of knowledge in the position. It might work

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Apr 2018 15:26

Hound Think Blackett was a midfielder in his youth career, so may well have a bit of knowledge in the position. It might work

I'm not sure if he has the footballing intelligence to pull it off to be honest. Blackett is a very basic footballer and if things are kept simple he is a perfectly acceptable defender. I am not sure if he would be able to cope with anchoring a midfield/man marking etc. Might be doing him a disservice but Blackett in midfield isn't for me.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Apr 2018 15:33

Old Man Andrews
Hound Think Blackett was a midfielder in his youth career, so may well have a bit of knowledge in the position. It might work

I'm not sure if he has the footballing intelligence to pull it off to be honest. Blackett is a very basic footballer and if things are kept simple he is a perfectly acceptable defender. I am not sure if he would be able to cope with anchoring a midfield/man marking etc. Might be doing him a disservice but Blackett in midfield isn't for me.

Me either. I'd be more confident of Ilori there then Blackett

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Apr 2018 16:10

Old Man Andrews

id rather him in midfield where his lapses of concentration wouldn't be instantly punished like they are in defence
but I wouldn't fancy him much there either tbf

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2018 17:27

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound
Snowflake Royal That's kinda my point. We don't have what we need to make it work, so I don't think it is the best. I think it's an invitation to be overrun.

Fair enough - but who else would you have in there? We’ve tried pretty much every combo and it’s come up short. Bring Joey back in? Sadly think I’d prefer him to Evans or Edwards currently

Now don't dismiss this out of hand as the ramblings of a madman, but what about Tyler in there as the defensive holding player? Big strong lad who can tackle. Fairly mobile and has shown he can also pick a gem of a pass at times..

No to square pegs in round holes.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2018 11:14

Blackett has all the physical and technical characteristics to play that role but lacks the mental ability which is arguably the most important. He's seems to lose concentration too much.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Apr 2018 11:14

Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank
Hound
Fair enough - but who else would you have in there? We’ve tried pretty much every combo and it’s come up short. Bring Joey back in? Sadly think I’d prefer him to Evans or Edwards currently

Now don't dismiss this out of hand as the ramblings of a madman, but what about Tyler in there as the defensive holding player? Big strong lad who can tackle. Fairly mobile and has shown he can also pick a gem of a pass at times..

I think he's more a round peg in a square hole. It would fit but not fill it out.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Apr 2018 13:42

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
Tilehurstsouthbank

I think he's more a round peg in a square hole. It would fit but not fill it out.

In our team, he would fit right in. :|

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 21 Apr 2018 16:58

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal No to square pegs in round holes.

In our team, he would fit right in. :|

I agree