CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

240 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED - John O’shea signs for Reading

by Stranded » 07 Jun 2018 08:22

It's crazy to say O'Shea will be shit because Sunderland have been awful for the past 4 years just as much as it is crazy to say he will be great because he won so many trophies at Man Utd and caps with the RoI.

Truth will be somewhere in the middle, he is out of the complete clusterfuck that is Sunderland and in a different environment with a different coach and different players. Just the change of scenary might reinvigorate him as a player. Probably feels he still has something to prove following the last few years, and he will certainly want to win some games of football.

To say this signing has dented your anticipation of the new season is also completely mad, it is one player, who the manager things can do a job for one season. It doesn't fill be with excitement but am going to give him a chance to prove himself before writing him off.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Jun 2018 08:27

I'd like to think O'Shea is a lot more professional than to just turn up and take wage. I haven't heard or read that he has any attitude problems. Would hope he can come here and give us some options and flexibility at the back when we undoubtedly get injuries next season.
Squad wise we should have 4 senior players at CB at least - Moore, Mcshane Ilori + O'shea.
Hoping Tyler is now off loaded and 1 youngster loaned out and one stays as back up out of Holmes and Andresson

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2018 09:04

decent experienced signing who will hopefully teach illori and moore a lot
have no issue with this one.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 07 Jun 2018 09:24

It is what it is, defensive cover. Tends to me to suggest Moore is staying and O’shea is fourth choice with lots of experience, may play 5 games this season but hopefully do a lot behind the scenes. I remember somewhere in the back catalogue. Martin keown did a similar job and played about 3 games. Following season after he left we got promoted and the defenders at the time had said keown was key to that in the knowledge imparted making them better players. Positive imho

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 07 Jun 2018 09:31

Never has my whelm been so undered (well since we signed Aluko anyway).

That said it is a year with a view to then moving into coaching with the club. He's not going to baulk the youngsters this season as really both Holmes and Andresson need to be out on loan. He also gives cover for both full backs and as a defensive midfielder, we are told he is still extremely fit (and 40 games for Sunderland last season would seem to support that assessment). Most importantly he is obviously experienced, can lead and knows what it's like to win and be successful (though may have trouble remembering that bit if his memory is going) which can only help others about the place.

Wonder if Elphick is still a possibility or only if Moore goes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jun 2018 09:34

Sutekh Never has my whelm been so undered (well since we signed Aluko anyway).

That said it is a year with a view to then moving into coaching with the club. He's not going to baulk the youngsters this season as really both Holmes and Andresson need to be out on loan. He also gives cover for both full backs and as a defensive midfielder, we are told he is still extremely fit (and 40 games for Sunderland last season would seem to support that assessment). Most importantly he is obviously experienced, can lead and knows what it's like to win and be successful (though may have trouble remembering that bit if his memory is going) which can only help others about the place.

Wonder if Elphick is still a possibility or only if Moore goes.

Got to think Elphick's fee may have come down a bit due to Villa having to hold a fire sale to get them out of the mess they are in. I defintiely think Moore will be going and Elphick is a decent enough replacement.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jun 2018 10:08

Can see Moore going, Elphick if cheap, or a youngish defender coming in (that chap at Portsmouth maybe) and the majority of the Moore money spent on a striker.

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 07 Jun 2018 10:24

Have thought about it and really do not get this transfer at all.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: RUMOUR- John O’shea set to sign for Reading

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jun 2018 10:28

TiagoIlori
Only one Trevor Morley I really don't get what the risk is? He wont be on top dollar at 37 years old and he is getting coaching experience so that is likely to be a bartering tool that reading use to get wages down further. Its a one year contract with no fee. and we get another experienced voice in the dressing room. And for all those saying McShane is that voice, not sure he is the right example of experienced leader, given his somewhat petulant attitude to reading supporters this season.

He'll be versatile and I suspect will be used against opposition where pace is less of an issue.

If we are signing him on even a two year contract with the expectation that he is playing most of the time then that is a risk but the way this is being reported it isn't a risk. Aluko on mega bucks for 4 years was a big risk. Swift on a 5 year deal with his current endless hamstring injuries was, in hindsight, a big risk.

is he the answer to readings defensive woes? No. But is he a risk? No.

I deem every signing we make as a risk, but the thing that expands that risk is that:
a) blocks the pathway of at least one youngster, who could easily be better in the long run
b) he’s bound to be on fairly big wages, he’s ex premiership and an former Irish international
c) we talk about having leaders, but imo having many leaders in the dressing room is just as bad as having none
d) although he brings off the field skills, he’s had a fair say on what Sunderland should do down the years, that worries me dearly. Yes they are a messy club but that doesn’t make him blameless, would argue we are not that much better

This tread must be worthy of an award for the sheer quantity of utter sh*te it contains.

Sadly, it happens every summer.

It kicks off with complaints about any perceived lack of signings and progresses to lack of ambition regarding actual signings with the money being spent the over riding factor and most of the complainants knowing next to nothing about the player concerned.
On that basis, Kitson, Doyle, Long and Sonko were all bad signings while Alluko was an impressive acquisition.

Needless to say, should you be the proud owner of more than 3 brain cells, Aluko will have to move heaven and earth this season in order for our record signing not to be one of the worst in recent times.

Meanwhile, should John O’Shea set forth on his new playing surface and break both legs when tripping over the club lawn mower, this will not come close to ruining our season.

I think I’ll come back when some of the idiots have been removed to the asylum.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 07 Jun 2018 10:49

Henley Royal 1 Have thought about it and really do not get this transfer at all.

it is a year with a view to then moving into coaching with the club. He's not going to baulk the youngsters this season as really both Holmes and Andresson need to be out on loan. He also gives cover for both full backs and as a defensive midfielder, we are told he is still extremely fit (and 40 games for Sunderland last season would seem to support that assessment). Most importantly he is obviously experienced, can lead and knows what it's like to win and be successful (though may have trouble remembering that bit if his memory is going) which can only help others about the place.

HTH

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 07 Jun 2018 11:53

We've signed a guy who can't run. Great.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jun 2018 11:56

Hey guys, guess who's whinging on Twitter about not being able to get an interview with the new players?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jun 2018 12:10

genome Hey guys, guess who's whinging on Twitter about not being able to get an interview with the new players?

Isn't it time to tell him it is probably because he is such a c*nt and all the players hate him?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Jun 2018 12:14

Old Man Andrews
genome Hey guys, guess who's whinging on Twitter about not being able to get an interview with the new players?

Isn't it time to tell him it is probably because he is such a c*nt and all the players hate him?

Be my guest!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jun 2018 12:18

Old Man Andrews

its not just the players tbf

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jun 2018 12:24

genome
Old Man Andrews

Be my guest!

It would mean interacting with him though. Not sure I can bring myself to do that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jun 2018 12:25

Hound
Old Man Andrews

He was trying to crawl up Gunter's backside earlier too. Bloke is a complete weasel.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jun 2018 12:27

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews

He was trying to crawl up Gunter's backside earlier too. Bloke is a complete weasel.

Old Man Andrews' best buddy Shout out to all #wales and #Spurs football fans. Need suggestions for a good name for a dog. Has to be Spurs or Wales related. I did suggest Super Gunts in honour of @Chrisgunter16 but not sure if it's passed the test.

like that. Esp as Gunter seems to dislike him more than anyone

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Jun 2018 12:31

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound

Old Man Andrews' best buddy Shout out to all #wales and #Spurs football fans. Need suggestions for a good name for a dog. Has to be Spurs or Wales related. I did suggest Super Gunts in honour of @Chrisgunter16 but not sure if it's passed the test.

like that. Esp as Gunter seems to dislike him more than anyone

It is cringeworthy. Gunter digs him out for literally every story he ever writes, clearly can't stand him. Just awaful.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Jun 2018 12:33

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews

Some of his pieces he writes on twitter is so cringe worthy and can see why no one at the club want to deal with him. Some of the excuses of not breaking any news has been quality though.

240 posts