Re: RUMOUR- John O’shea set to sign for Reading

by linkenholtroyal » 04 Jun 2018 20:32

2 words Martin keown

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jun 2018 21:00

Snowflake Royal I've always thought John O'Shea was a bit shit and his Utd teammates and Fergie's reputation carried him.

If that's the case, it could be said they carried a few over the years under Ferguson. Even today, opinion varies on their current CB's. Here are a few:

Kevin Moran
Paul McGrath
Steve Bruce
Graham Hogg
Mal Donaghy
Paul Parker
David May
Ronny Johnsen
Henning Berg
Gary Pallister
Jonathan Spector
Gabriel Heinze
Wes Brown
Jaap Stam (cough)
Mikaël Silvestre
John O'Shea
Johnny Evans
Phil Jones
Chris Smalling
Eric Bailly

Steve Bruce played well over 400 times for them...and never played once for England :shock:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 04 Jun 2018 21:47, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jun 2018 21:38

The Sunderland Echo says that he will sign as a player (not as a coach) on a one-year contract.
Not sure why he would want to move down South although he was on loan at Bournemouth at the start of his career.
As somebody already posted, O'Shea was part of a defence that gave away a lot of goals from set-pieces so he would fit in well with us.

Can't believe this is one of the first steps in building a side to get out of this division -I assumed our aim is upwards not downwards.
What happened to the philosophy of signing eager younger players looking to step up?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jun 2018 21:56

Victor Meldrew The Sunderland Echo says that he will sign as a player (not as a coach) on a one-year contract.
Not sure why he would want to move down South although he was on loan at Bournemouth at the start of his career.
As somebody already posted, O'Shea was part of a defence that gave away a lot of goals from set-pieces so he would fit in well with us.

Can't believe this is one of the first steps in building a side to get out of this division -I assumed our aim is upwards not downwards.
What happened to the philosophy of signing eager younger players looking to step up?

I certainly don’t reckon any team with ambition to win promotion from the Championship next season would seriously think about signing O’Shea. If Moore goes I would be very worried about the heart of our defence. Still at least we still have your bestie Chris Gunter to shore up our defence. 8)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jun 2018 22:09

Zip I certainly don’t reckon any team with ambition to win promotion from the Championship next season would seriously think about signing O’Shea.

Is that now our ambition for next season? I'll be delighted if it is, but people had been talking about how next season we should try to consolidate in mid table?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jun 2018 22:11

Zip
Victor Meldrew The Sunderland Echo says that he will sign as a player (not as a coach) on a one-year contract.

I certainly don’t reckon any team with ambition to win promotion from the Championship next season would seriously think about signing O’Shea. If Moore goes I would be very worried about the heart of our defence. Still at least we still have your bestie Chris Gunter to shore up our defence. 8)

At the moment but Carvahal is a bit injury-prone at Real Madrid so if Bale stays I expect Chris is just waiting for that phone call, after all he has nearly 80 caps for Wales you know. :wink:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jun 2018 22:15

Victor Meldrew
Zip

At the moment but Carvahal is a bit injury-prone at Real Madrid so if Bale stays I expect Chris is just waiting for that phone call, after all he has nearly 80 caps for Wales you know. :wink:

You under estimate Mr Gunter who now has 88 Welsh caps to his name,

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Jun 2018 22:16

Denver Royal
Zip I certainly don’t reckon any team with ambition to win promotion from the Championship next season would seriously think about signing O’Shea.

Is that now our ambition for next season? I'll be delighted if it is, but people had been talking about how next season we should try to consolidate in mid table?

Nope I don’t think it is our ambition and I think this signing would reinforce that.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Jun 2018 22:36

Snowflake Royal Tbh, I've always though John O'Shea was a bit shit and his Utd teammates and Fergie's reputation carried him.

He's just a 'name' to sign and overpay rather than actually any real good. And 37? There's hope for my prpfessional career yet I spose. Like him, I'm also 37 and shit.

Cover for Mannone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDlGJH0OTm0

megs Figo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gasxpPiews

Finish against Arsenal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTBIHwW-pqs

but to be fair after a while I was happy if he was able to kick the ball towards one of our players!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jun 2018 09:17

Seriously starting to worry about Reading's recruitment policy this summer. Oh well at least there's still time...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 09:18

Sutekh Seriously starting to worry about Reading's recruitment policy this summer.

I went into it thinking it couldn't be any worse than last season but I am so far being unpleasently surprised.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 Jun 2018 10:15

Each new season the vast majority of teams in the championship have ambitions for promotion or at least the playoffs, it’s the nature of the league. We’re no different and managers don’t get time for a “consolidation” season where they spend close to or more than £10m and only improve league position by a couple of places.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 11:41

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh Seriously starting to worry about Reading's recruitment policy this summer.

I went into it thinking it couldn't be any worse than last season but I am so far being unpleasently surprised.

well we've only actually brought in one person so far, who looks on paper to be an excellent signing. And its barely June.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 11:48

Hound
Old Man Andrews

well we've only actually brought in one person so far, who looks on paper to be an excellent signing. And its barely June.

John O'Shea negates anything else at the moment.

Liam Moore in exchange for Sam Baldock........ You're happy with that yeah?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 11:54

Old Man Andrews
Hound
Old Man Andrews

Thats barely more than a rumour at the moment. If it was Moore in exchange for Baldock and Goldson or Baldock and £8m it would be ok. Straight swap obv not.

Its about as reliable as me saying, yeah but I'm happy with us getting in Meyler, that Czech striker and Maddison.

O'Shea is a shitter, I agree on that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 11:58

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound

Thats barely more than a rumour at the moment. If it was Moore in exchange for Baldock and Goldson or Baldock and £8m it would be ok. Straight swap obv not.

Its about as reliable as me saying, yeah but I'm happy with us getting in Meyler, that Czech striker and Maddison.

O'Shea is a shitter, I agree on that.

I would be very happy with Maddison, think we need to sign a young up and comer like him to get the supporters excited again. Would like us to bring in Marriott from Posh at the same time tbh but I don't think the money is there for that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jun 2018 12:01

strangely from having a scan on their forum, posh fans didn't seem to think a huge amount of Marriott. I'd happily take Maddison, even though he looks like a bit of a bellend

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Jun 2018 12:04

Think it is reasonably common to play down a player when they have asked to leave etc. Can't argue with his scoring record, worth a punt as long as the money is right. The likes of McCleary being injured doesn't help us in the finance department, could have done with freeing up his wages by getting rid.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 05 Jun 2018 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 05 Jun 2018 12:10

Bring back Hector

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Jun 2018 12:12

Gunny Fishcake Bring back Hector

No, don't. Didn't exactly set the world on fire at Hull, and he obviously thinks he's too good for us anyway

240 posts