Season 2018/2019

271 posts
User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3549
Joined: 20 Jan 2010 23:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Season 2018/2019

by John Smith » 30 Apr 2019 15:33

I will happily hold my hand up and say I thought Stoke would be clear title winners. The current manager can't even get a tune out of those overpaid wastes of space. He and the whole squad need to go.

I do love the unpredictability of the Championship though.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1194
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 14:13
Location: Flying the Blue and White flag in Farnham

Re: Season 2018/2019

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Apr 2019 16:21

John Smith I will happily hold my hand up and say I thought Stoke would be clear title winners. The current manager can't even get a tune out of those overpaid wastes of space. He and the whole squad need to go.

I do love the unpredictability of the Championship though.


Precisely. We can all look prize Tits come the end of the season....

User avatar
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3549
Joined: 20 Jan 2010 23:47
Location: We should never ponder on our thoughts today cos they hold sway over time

Re: Season 2018/2019

by John Smith » 30 Apr 2019 16:24

Tilehurstsouthbank
John Smith I will happily hold my hand up and say I thought Stoke would be clear title winners. The current manager can't even get a tune out of those overpaid wastes of space. He and the whole squad need to go.

I do love the unpredictability of the Championship though.


Precisely. We can all look prize Tits come the end of the season....

You do most of the time

User avatar
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 8283
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: With grace we will suffer, with grace we shall recover

Re: Season 2018/2019

by From Despair To Where? » 30 Apr 2019 17:43

John Smith I will happily hold my hand up and say I thought Stoke would be clear title winners. The current manager can't even get a tune out of those overpaid wastes of space. He and the whole squad need to go.

I do love the unpredictability of the Championship though.


That would be the manager many tipped as a good fit to replace Clement. Funny how things sometimes work out as I would have thought, with their squad, they would be anything but bore draw specialists under Jones. Must be a bunch of big-time Charlies

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7792
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Season 2018/2019

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2019 17:49

From Despair To Where? That's exactly my point. The prediction competition is exactly that, a competition and somewhere for you to wave your willy in self adulation if you feel the need because there's a tangible measurement.

As for as I can see, this thread was not a competition but a point of discussion so who cares if you did better than anyone else.

The big talking point for me is why Stoke are the one club who consistently defied expectation. It would be interesting to see why they bombed as badly as they did because they had a decent squad for this level and always seemed to be relatively well run.

In snowball's defence: :shock:

I do think it is interesting to reflect on what we were all thinking about us and the division at the start of the season.

It can help set expectations for next season on whether thoughts proved valuable, and it raises the odd light hearted chuckle.

It can also be a relatively harmless way of saying, look, I'm not as clueless as some people say - given the shit that gets chucked about on here - without starting a big old argument.


URZZZZ
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1263
Joined: 20 Apr 2013 18:30

Re: Season 2018/2019

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 18:04

Snowball
From Despair To Where?
Snowball
What's the point of making predictions if you don't
look back at some time and see how you did?


No-one's stopping you from privately reflecting on your own success but no-one else really gives a shit, particularly when you have year old drafts of your posts saved in Word, poised and ready and particularly when, by and large, everyone's predidictions have shown a similar level of accuracy.

No one has massively over or underperformed bar Stoke who have thrown everyone a curveball by being a bit shit.

It's why I never do predictions, it's just a licence to indulge in onanistic gloating.



So we post publicly but read in secret. Why not give up predicting altogether?

The Prediction Competition has managed to go for a whole season.

Perhaps we should make all the entries anonymous in case we upset some old codger


Agree with you here, I think it can be quite interesting comparing what you thought of the season ahead to what the reality was, I don't know why he's getting so arsed about it all

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15613
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 18:35

Re: Season 2018/2019

by Snowball » 30 Apr 2019 18:28

URZZZZ
Snowball
From Despair To Where?
No-one's stopping you from privately reflecting on your own success but no-one else really gives a shit, particularly when you have year old drafts of your posts saved in Word, poised and ready and particularly when, by and large, everyone's predidictions have shown a similar level of accuracy.

No one has massively over or underperformed bar Stoke who have thrown everyone a curveball by being a bit shit.

It's why I never do predictions, it's just a licence to indulge in onanistic gloating.



So we post publicly but read in secret. Why not give up predicting altogether?

The Prediction Competition has managed to go for a whole season.

Perhaps we should make all the entries anonymous in case we upset some old codger


Agree with you here, I think it can be quite interesting comparing what you thought of the season ahead to what the reality was, I don't know why he's getting so arsed about it all



Three Possibilities

(a) Local Blood Sport

(b) Not Getting Enough

(c) Embarrassed by own predictions

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1194
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 14:13
Location: Flying the Blue and White flag in Farnham

Re: Season 2018/2019

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 01 May 2019 10:37

John Smith
Tilehurstsouthbank
John Smith I will happily hold my hand up and say I thought Stoke would be clear title winners. The current manager can't even get a tune out of those overpaid wastes of space. He and the whole squad need to go.

I do love the unpredictability of the Championship though.


Precisely. We can all look prize Tits come the end of the season....

You do most of the time


I'm sure the irony of that post isn't lost on anyone...

User avatar
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 8283
Joined: 19 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: With grace we will suffer, with grace we shall recover

Re: Season 2018/2019

by From Despair To Where? » 01 May 2019 12:01

Snowball
URZZZZ
Snowball

So we post publicly but read in secret. Why not give up predicting altogether?

The Prediction Competition has managed to go for a whole season.

Perhaps we should make all the entries anonymous in case we upset some old codger


Agree with you here, I think it can be quite interesting comparing what you thought of the season ahead to what the reality was, I don't know why he's getting so arsed about it all



Three Possibilities

(a) Local Blood Sport

(b) Not Getting Enough

(c) Embarrassed by own predictions



Wrong, it's

d) Not sufficiently far enough up my own arse to really care how right or wrong any individual was on their predictions. Not remotely interested that Poster A got 82.5% right or Poster B only got 81.7% right. I'd rather discuss the actual football clubs themselves.

And anyway, 80% of the clubs finished more or less where expected so there's no great insight to be gleaned there, the real interest lies with the other 20% and what caused them to over or underperform.


Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 15613
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 18:35

Re: Season 2018/2019

by Snowball » 01 May 2019 12:11

From Despair To Where?
Snowball
URZZZZ
Agree with you here, I think it can be quite interesting comparing what you thought of the season ahead to what the reality was, I don't know why he's getting so arsed about it all



Three Possibilities

(a) Local Blood Sport

(b) Not Getting Enough

(c) Embarrassed by own predictions



Wrong, it's

d) Not sufficiently far enough up my own arse to really care how right or wrong any individual was on their predictions. Not remotely interested that Poster A got 82.5% right or Poster B only got 81.7% right. I'd rather discuss the actual football clubs themselves.

And anyway, 80% of the clubs finished more or less where expected so there's no great insight to be gleaned there, the real interest lies with the other 20% and what caused them to over or underperform.



But sufficiently up your own arse to comment on and keep commenting on what some others enjoy...

User avatar
Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7934
Joined: 02 Oct 2017 13:06
Location: The South of England

Re: Season 2018/2019

by Old Man Andrews » 01 May 2019 12:36

Literally no clue how anyone can have an issue with people making predictions and then following up on them to see what was right and what was wrong. Bizarre behaviour.

271 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chameleon, LightwaterRoyal, NewCorkSeth, Steve_Upper_West and 63 guests

It is currently 23 Aug 2019 21:53