If McDermott hadn't been sacked (the 2nd time)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: If McDermott hadn't been sacked (the 2nd time)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Jul 2018 15:27

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? So I should cut him some slack because he "gave up on the season too easily"?

What utter revisionist nonsense.

Yes Clarke fcuked it up with the whole Fulham nonsense destabilising the squad but this was a squad that entered October 3rd in the table so there was no lack of ability on the playing side. Regardless of the number of loan players, there was bags of ability but confidence was low but one of McDermott's, strengths was supposedly his ability to foster team spirit and motivate the players.

He then appeared in the press on a number of occasions with thinly veiled whinges about the owners and the squad, almost getting pre-emptive excuses in. You can't "give up on the season" when you're looking to build for the next. It's unprofessional and sets completely the wrong example to the players. Steve Coppell always used to say that how you finish a season sets a marker for how you start the next. You take that momentum and confidence (or lack of) into pre season and that sets the tone.

You should cut him some slack because he inherited a shambles of players with no interest in performing or who had been destroyed by Clarke.

No i wouldn't cut him any slack; he was the manager and his job was to motivate the players and he was brought back for that reason. From memory he didn't use the loanees much anyway. He signed dross too eg Rakels, Gravenberch etc

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2018 18:07

Shouldn't have been sacked the first time round. Don't invest whilst in the premier league then don't expect to stay up or have the quality of players to play "a better style of football".

Brian himself said at the star hall of fame last season that it was a mistake to come back the second time but he did it because of his feelings for the club. If he didn't have that feeling for the club he would probably have stuck to his guns about choosing owners rather than the name of the club, as he'd previously stated he would do if he went back into management.

Whether it was the right decision or not, the way he left the second time was handled awfully by an owners group who let their director of football plot a way for his mate to get a job. Probably because they were star struck by his mates name.

It's a shame that the fans didn't treat him a lot better as well. But that's a different issue.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Jul 2018 20:25

I'd agree completely that he shouldnt have been sacked the first time round, that was Anton playing at football club owners and not having a clue.

If we'd cut sensible contracts with the expensive flops in the first place, stuck with Brian and not saddled ourselves with dumbass marquee signings like Drenthe back in the Championship, we could have extricated ourselves from TSI without half of the bullshit of the last 5 years and rebuilt the team.

Seemed to me second time around Brian realised it wasn't the same club he'd left and stopped giving a toss.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 29 Jul 2018 21:08

Hound The job Stam did in his first season really was incredibly lucky

Corrected for you.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2018 21:11

Hound The job Stam did in his first season really was incredible

Still can’t get my head round how it all went so wrong from there

Performances didn’t differ hugely between the two season under Stam for the most part. Teams worked us out, we didn’t have a striker to who could take chances or a keeper who could regularly win us points.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2018 17:34

Elm Park Kid his summer transfers would have turned out better than Stam's.

Seems very unlikely.

We'd already signed Gravenberch when we sacked McDermott, so it seems safe to say that he was a Tevreden signing. I think the same is true of the other two undeniable flops, Mendes and Wieser, and I am also inclined to think that it is true for Meite and Jaakola.

There were several big successes that summer: Roy Beerens, John Swift, Liam Moore, Joey van den Berg, and Callum Harriott. Beerens and Joey were both very much "Stam signings" and I don't think Brian would have got them. I think Swift and Moore both talked about Stam being important in their decision making but I take that with a big pinch of salt; it's up in the air. Then I think McDermott would probably still have signed Harriott, fine.

I can't see McDermott attracting anyone of the quality of Beerens and it would be hard to find someone as good as Joey was that season on a free transfer.

Ultimately the decision making at most football clubs has shifted away from the manager, and Stam's involvement was certainly beneficial.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jul 2018 17:39

Muskrat

Corrected for you.

Nonsense. You can’t be lucky for 46 games

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jul 2018 17:40

But would Brexit have happened?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jul 2018 17:44

Hound
Muskrat

Corrected for you.

Well you can because Stam proved it.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 30 Jul 2018 18:52

Hound
Muskrat

Corrected for you.

Assuming you witnessed at least some of the games that year (and there were loads), where we played poorly and managed to scrape wins, you'd know that you can be. And we were. As the following season demonstrated.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Jul 2018 19:10

Hound The job Stam did in his first season really was incredible

Still can’t get my head round how it all went so wrong from there

I know they say league table does not lie, but evalute over the course of the season there were plenty of results and performances that we rode our luck and got lucky!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Jul 2018 20:12

sandman
Hound
Muskrat
Corrected for you.

Well you can because Stam proved it.

Opinion is proof? There is often variance, even within side's. Even if two people agree on luck, they may vary on how much. If someone were to have a different view to you of his (short) tenure here, what has been proven? Or McD's 2nd term? Or most any other manager in footy, really. It's rarely uniform. Opinion on Adkins varies quite widely, I have found.