BFTG - Bolton

219 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Bolton

by Hound » 20 Aug 2018 09:08

Theroyalbox
LightwaterRoyal
McShane - 6. Dealt with pretty much everything that came his way.

What? Seriously I think McShanes performance was one of the worst I've ever seen from a CB.

Every time he cleared a ball it went straight to the opposition. He got absolutely bullied by the Striker all game, and then he was caught for the goal. If he's not dropped for Illori then Clement only has himself to blame when hes sacked

Agree with this. I'm not quite sure why this particular defeat and performance has annoyed me so much, but it really did. McShane was bullied as you say, from the 1st minute to the last by Magennis, and barely won a ball against him.

I do wonder if part of why PC was so angry after the game as well was that he knew he'd dropped a complete boll0ck by playing McShane. He certainly hinted at it. Was an absolutely shocking decision and I'd say it cost us the game.

Could feel the red mist descending every time he picked up the ball, shunned a pass forward, instead ran into a dead end, turned round and passed it back to the FB/Keeper/Moore.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 09:10

Hound
Theroyalbox
LightwaterRoyal

What? Seriously I think McShanes performance was one of the worst I've ever seen from a CB.

Every time he cleared a ball it went straight to the opposition. He got absolutely bullied by the Striker all game, and then he was caught for the goal. If he's not dropped for Illori then Clement only has himself to blame when hes sacked

Agree with this. I'm not quite sure why this particular defeat and performance has annoyed me so much, but it really did. McShane was bullied as you say, from the 1st minute to the last by Magennis, and barely won a ball against him.

I do wonder if part of why PC was so angry after the game as well was that he knew he'd dropped a complete boll0ck by playing McShane. He certainly hinted at it. Was an absolutely shocking decision and I'd say it cost us the game.

Could feel the red mist descending every time he picked up the ball, shunned a pass forward, instead ran into a dead end, turned round and passed it back to the FB/Keeper/Moore.

Yep agreed. I think we are going to see a new permanent captain named on Wednesday in Liam Moore who will partner Tiago Illori for the forseeable future. McShane didn't lead that team at all on Saturday. He seemed completely downbeat and silent from the first whistle to the last.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Aug 2018 09:20

Hound Could feel the red mist descending every time he picked up the ball, shunned a pass forward, instead ran into a dead end, turned round and passed it back to the FB/Keeper/Moore.

TBF that also speaks volumes about the run-averse bank of statues ahead of him in midfield.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Aug 2018 09:27

Hound
Theroyalbox
LightwaterRoyal

McShane has pissed me off for years. There’s something about the ungainly prick. His playing style is annoying and that’s not even taking into consideration when he’s shit - which is a lot. From Preston away a few years ago, to his innane running 5 yards and then passing back, to last seasons clapg8.

I want him gone.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2018 09:39

What was the reason Ilori was dropped?

Clement said it "wasn't for footballing reasons" or something along those lines

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 20 Aug 2018 09:40

CountryRoyal
Hound
Theroyalbox

McShane has pissed me off for years. There’s something about the ungainly prick. His playing style is annoying and that’s not even taking into consideration when he’s shit - which is a lot. From Preston away a few years ago, to his innane running 5 yards and then passing back, to last seasons clapg8.

I want him gone.

Literally totally agree mate, he just sums up everything that's been wrong with the club since the P/O final. He's arrogant, annoying and far too old and slow to even be in the squad let alone a captain. When he first arrived he was a proper CB with a bandage round his head body on the line. Now he just looks pathetic.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 20 Aug 2018 09:43

genome What was the reason Ilori was dropped?

Clement said it "wasn't for footballing reasons" or something along those lines

No it wasn't think this one falls under 'poor management decision'

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2018 09:45

Platypuss
Hound Could feel the red mist descending every time he picked up the ball, shunned a pass forward, instead ran into a dead end, turned round and passed it back to the FB/Keeper/Moore.

TBF that also speaks volumes about the run-averse bank of statues ahead of him in midfield.

I've maintained for the last couple of years that this is a big reason why we have struggled in games.

If the midfield are not willing to run and drag players with them/create space for others - that's when you get aimless passing among the centre backs which eventually leads to defensive mistakes. I caught a Tottenham game last year and there was constant movement off the ball, Alli and Eriksen were always trying to create space to receive the ball and the full backs bombed forward to collect their passes in wide areas. Obviously I'm not saying we have players as good as them but surely we can do something similar.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Aug 2018 09:59

genome
Platypuss

I've maintained for the last couple of years that this is a big reason why we have struggled in games.

If the midfield are not willing to run and drag players with them/create space for others - that's when you get aimless passing among the centre backs which eventually leads to defensive mistakes. I caught a Tottenham game last year and there was constant movement off the ball, Alli and Eriksen were always trying to create space to receive the ball and the full backs bombed forward to collect their passes in wide areas. Obviously I'm not saying we have players as good as them but surely we can do something similar.

That’s the thing about movement, just like defensive organisation it’s something that you can do without actually being overly talented. You just need to be willing to put in the effort. Now I’m not saying that there isn’t a difference in intelligence of movement - there is of course, but generally speaking if you just aim to run into spaces and get free of your marker then you’re going to be better than just standing there. Too often in the pass we’ve been too static and it’s just impossible to do anything.

Now I actually think this is an area we have improved in drastically since Clement has come in but particularly this season, you can see a lot of the players running around showing for the ball (sometimes in the same area). It was disappointing in the second half against Bolton as that seemed to die down but it’s still an improvement on last year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2018 10:09

Totally agree on movement. McNulty and Baldock consistently ran into gaps and asked for the ball. McNulty especially was often in space between the lines and wasn’t passed to

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Aug 2018 10:22

Royal_jimmy
Denver Royal
Ascotexgunner
Seriously? By then the team will be on its knees and pretty much on its way to league 1. We are worse than last year and even Clements signings are now looking ropey. 5 million for Baldock is looking a worse deal than Aluko. When your at the next game look around you at the stadium. Empty seats, empty boxes, advertising that's vanished, shirt sponsers that are no longer on the shirts. The problem is a lot deeper than the clueless manager we have in charge. Our CEO has worked for Chelsea and ManU....clubs that have money thrown at them, he's never ever run a club like ours where you have to work hard for it, and it shows. As for the owner......well.....that really could be nail in our coffin. He's making the Venkys look decent with his behaviour. And let's be honest here, Blackburn and Wigan had a plan b when they went down and have bounced back stronger. We don't have the brains in this club to even contemplate that eventuality, let alone prepare for it. I really really fear for this clubs future at the minute, financially and on the field.

We wouldn't want to bounce straight back. It would be a 5 year plan, remember? :wink:

But seriously, re. League 1, doubt RG and BT have the nous for that, and they would not relish working there (nor would Clement, for that matter). So, if we drop, suspect it would all be 'chop and change', regardless.

Probably what we could do with
In my opinion

a drop would literally bankrupt us as a club

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 20 Aug 2018 10:24

Maneki Neko
Royal_jimmy
Denver Royal
We wouldn't want to bounce straight back. It would be a 5 year plan, remember? :wink:

But seriously, re. League 1, doubt RG and BT have the nous for that, and they would not relish working there (nor would Clement, for that matter). So, if we drop, suspect it would all be 'chop and change', regardless.

In my opinion

+1 *I have no idea* about the st8 of the club's finances but you're prolly right

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2018 10:41

Maneki Neko
Royal_jimmy
Denver Royal

In my opinion

Nah

Sell Moore + Barrow for a few million - they will have some takers - then we have some high wage earners entering the final years who will probably want to move on. That should keep us going in League One

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 10:59

genome
Maneki Neko
Royal_jimmy
In my opinion

Nah

Sell Moore + Barrow for a few million - they will have some takers - then we have some high wage earners entering the final years who will probably want to move on. That should keep us going in League One

Would kill our academy probably, well as we know it anyway. Would mean less youth teams too which is in no way a good thing for the community and young people. The club would of course survive but I couldn't see us coming back from it in any time soon, could easily go down the route Swindon have.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2018 11:02

Old Man Andrews
genome
Maneki Neko

Nah

Would kill our academy probably, well as we know it anyway. Would mean less youth teams too which is in no way a good thing for the community and young people. The club would of course survive but I couldn't see us coming back from it in any time soon, could easily go down the route Swindon have.

It would probably be downgraded to a Cat Two Academy yeah, but if anything, relegation would mean more Academy lads get opportunities with the First Team.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 11:05

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome
Nah

It would probably be downgraded to a Cat Two Academy yeah, but if anything, relegation would mean more Academy lads get opportunities with the First Team.

I was meaning more the under 7's to under 16's. They'd have no choice but to downgrade I would think. Bet it is more expensive than you'd think to run a load of youth sides,

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2018 11:06

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews

I was meaning more the under 7's to under 16's. They'd have no choice but to downgrade I would think. Bet it is more expensive than you'd think to run a load of youth sides,

About £4-5m a year I think. Depends if the owners would be willing to dip into their pockets to keep it going.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Aug 2018 11:08

I know Sunderland's owner made sure to keep their Cat One status going on relegation

Lydia Dustbin

by Lydia Dustbin » 20 Aug 2018 11:26

genome I know Sunderland's owner made sure to keep their Cat One status going on relegation

Why is his cat cold one mine is tiggy

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Aug 2018 11:29

genome I know Sunderland's owner made sure to keep their Cat One status going on relegation

Can you realistcally see ours doing that? Not sure they will even stay at the club if I am honest.

219 posts