BFTG - Bolton

219 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Bolton

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2018 13:25

Zip I really dont think being relegated would be a good way to start rebuilding. There is no guarantee we would bounce back quickly and gates would drop even further. We need to try and consolidate this season with a view to being more ambitious in the following seasons.

Tbh, i really don't see much difference in threat to gate between yet another shit season of just surviving with no better prospects and relegated. It's not like trying to consolidate has worked at any point recently. We're rotten and the longer we stay that way the more damage is done.

In fact I think there's a possibility of more hope of a better season if we got relegated. I think people are droving because of the quality, results and despair... relegation might feel like a breathe of fresh air.

Of course we could spiral down and get double relegated.

In all seriousness, we go to games to see us win. Winning in League One is better than losing in the Championship and losing in League One really isnt a lot worse than losing in the Championship.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2018 13:32

genome
Platypuss
Hound Could feel the red mist descending every time he picked up the ball, shunned a pass forward, instead ran into a dead end, turned round and passed it back to the FB/Keeper/Moore.

TBF that also speaks volumes about the run-averse bank of statues ahead of him in midfield.

I've maintained for the last couple of years that this is a big reason why we have struggled in games.

If the midfield are not willing to run and drag players with them/create space for others - that's when you get aimless passing among the centre backs which eventually leads to defensive mistakes. I caught a Tottenham game last year and there was constant movement off the ball, Alli and Eriksen were always trying to create space to receive the ball and the full backs bombed forward to collect their passes in wide areas. Obviously I'm not saying we have players as good as them but surely we can do something similar.

It's a feedback loop. They start by showing but the ball is so slow to be passed or they get totally ignored, so they stop. Which just encourages the sideways pass which discourages movement which...

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 20 Aug 2018 14:00

Snowflake Royal
Zip I really dont think being relegated would be a good way to start rebuilding. There is no guarantee we would bounce back quickly and gates would drop even further. We need to try and consolidate this season with a view to being more ambitious in the following seasons.

Tbh, i really don't see much difference in threat to gate between yet another shit season of just surviving with no better prospects and relegated. It's not like trying to consolidate has worked at any point recently. We're rotten and the longer we stay that way the more damage is done.

In fact I think there's a possibility of more hope of a better season if we got relegated. I think people are droving because of the quality, results and despair... relegation might feel like a breathe of fresh air.

In all seriousness, we go to games to see us win. Winning in League One is better than losing in the Championship and losing in League One really isnt a lot worse than losing in the Championship.

If you keep losing in League 1, would losing in League 2 be any worse than losing in League 1. If you keep losing in League 2 would losing in etc. etc.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Aug 2018 14:13

Snowflake Royal
genome
Platypuss
TBF that also speaks volumes about the run-averse bank of statues ahead of him in midfield.

I've maintained for the last couple of years that this is a big reason why we have struggled in games.

If the midfield are not willing to run and drag players with them/create space for others - that's when you get aimless passing among the centre backs which eventually leads to defensive mistakes. I caught a Tottenham game last year and there was constant movement off the ball, Alli and Eriksen were always trying to create space to receive the ball and the full backs bombed forward to collect their passes in wide areas. Obviously I'm not saying we have players as good as them but surely we can do something similar.

It's a feedback loop. They start by showing but the ball is so slow to be passed or they get totally ignored, so they stop. Which just encourages the sideways pass which discourages movement which...

Seen too many times, players holding onto the ball then making a nothing 10 yard pass. Then everyone who made a run is out of position / offside and players who created space has to start again. Decision making needs to be more positive and quicker.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Aug 2018 14:19

exactly that. The Meite goal we scored against Brum looks to me exactly how we want to play. We almost scored a repeat when Meite went through against Bolton.

Basically forward #1 comes into space, receives the ball, little one two with forward #2 and then ball through for the winger to come inside and chase onto

Obvs after coming short for the ball for the 100th time whilst watching the midfielder turn round and roll a safe ball back to McShane to run into a dead end with, heads and enthusiasm start to drop a bit

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Aug 2018 14:28

Ian, we don't need to drop.
We came within a pen of going up.
Cardiff were bottom, a year later PL. No surprise, and no 5 year plan.
Burnley went up, stayed up, now in Europe.
Bournemouth stayed up
Hudders went up
No massive budgets with these teams, then or now.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 20 Aug 2018 14:33

Snowflake Royal

we have to be massively subsidised to exist at this level. and the owners only do so because of the possibility of premiere league football and a quick sale. if we went down, gates would drop further and ticket prices would have to come down, whilst paying the squad much the same. we'd be out of business by the end of the season.
this whole- better off going down view is nonsense.

royal_rumble

by royal_rumble » 20 Aug 2018 15:15

Maneki Neko
Snowflake Royal

we have to be massively subsidised to exist at this level. and the owners only do so because of the possibility of premiere league football and a quick sale. if we went down, gates would drop further and ticket prices would have to come down, whilst paying the squad much the same. we'd be out of business by the end of the season.
this whole- better off going down view is nonsense.

Exactly that. We are on the limit of FFP right now. Going down would hurt us, and would probably threaten the club given the mismanagement away from the pitch in that last few years.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 20 Aug 2018 15:37

LightwaterRoyal Blackett - 8. One of few positives. Got forward well and battled hard.

I want some of whatever you're smoking! He was appalling first half. Looked laboured and uninterested. Improved second half but was overall average at best.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 20 Aug 2018 15:55

windermereROYAL Last 25 games at fortress Madejski, W5 D8 L12. something needs to change before fans desert us in their droves. personally pissed off with having my Saturday night ruined, and the cat has left home.

You know when the Cat does one something has to change...

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 20 Aug 2018 16:38

Hoping Bolton are going to be a surprise team this year in the league otherwise I am really concerned.

It doesn't matter how we play, this team has a losing mentality regardless of what kind of performance we put in. I admire Paul Clement's honest and frank assessment which unfortunately doesn't seem to be rubbing off on the players. Once again we seem to have this general attitude of its ok we will deal with it later we will be fine.

He needs more transfer windows as mentioned but the aim this year has to be survival with anything beyond that being a bonus. This squad is full of have beens and individuals who are used to relegation/failure. We need to change our model and go for up and coming talent from the lower divisions. Brentford a very good example of this.

Generally speaking this club has been on a downward ever since that day at Wembley. Even when we were performing well in that 1 season under Stam we struggled to get fans through the door. How can the club justify charging adults the rate that they do? It would be ok if we were competing at the top end of the table this year but the reality is we have been struggling to get people through the gates for a good 3 years now. Other than the love of the club, tell me why an adult with kids would want to spend that kind of money on watching a team lose week after week especially when a team like Wycombe have been offering more competitive prices & performances down the road? (obviously I know they are struggling in League 1 at the moment) I don't know about anyone else but I am sick of walking in on a Saturday evening feeling angry and frustrated. Its sometimes not even the fact we lost its the fact that we are so toothless and don't even look like winning a game of football.

There are so many things that need addressing, maybe relegation is unfortunately the only wake up call for the majority of staff at this club from the top down. We have had so many opportunities to address major obvious issues and it seems like there is no real drive throughout the club. Yes we beat Brum but the reality is that was a seriously weakened cup side we were playing.

I understand we are in a transitional phase again but some of the attitudes/performances have been unacceptable.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Aug 2018 16:58

CountryRoyal Slightly tangential but I thought the boos were poor form.

Well Clement himself said he'd have bood if he was a fan so...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Aug 2018 17:07

bracksroyal10 How can the club justify charging adults the rate that they do? It would be ok if we were competing at the top end of the table this year but the reality is we have been struggling to get people through the gates for a good 3 years now. Other than the love of the club, tell me why an adult with kids would want to spend that kind of money on watching a team lose week after week especially when a team like Wycombe have been offering more competitive prices & performances down the road?

What are you on about? We have the cheapest tickets in the league and they are cheaper than Wycombe!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Aug 2018 17:22

Denver Royal We came within a pen of going up.

Would have been the first team in history to do so with a negative goal difference. Impossible to plaster over the ravines of some of the seasons results. Promoted teams need a foundation. Winning or losing by an odd goal is a fine margin.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 20 Aug 2018 17:25

John Smith
bracksroyal10 How can the club justify charging adults the rate that they do? It would be ok if we were competing at the top end of the table this year but the reality is we have been struggling to get people through the gates for a good 3 years now. Other than the love of the club, tell me why an adult with kids would want to spend that kind of money on watching a team lose week after week especially when a team like Wycombe have been offering more competitive prices & performances down the road?

What are you on about? We have the cheapest tickets in the league and they are cheaper than Wycombe!

Matchday ticket
Money on food
£10 parking

the list goes on .... we are poor value for money.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 20 Aug 2018 17:31

bracksroyal10
John Smith

Matchday ticket
Money on food
£10 parking

leave out the food and get the bus :lol:

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 20 Aug 2018 17:33

tee peg
bracksroyal10
John Smith What are you on about? We have the cheapest tickets in the league and they are cheaper than Wycombe!

Matchday ticket
Money on food
£10 parking

leave out the food and get the bus :lol:

Fair enough, but it still doesn't hide the fact that there is a fundamental issue with the way the club is being ran!

Surely there are more initiatives the club could be taking part in to get those empty seats filled up!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Aug 2018 17:34

The Royal Forester
Snowflake Royal

If you keep losing in League 1, would losing in League 2 be any worse than losing in League 1. If you keep losing in League 2 would losing in etc. etc.

We'll bottom out eventually or go bust. Either way it ends the misery.

And I did say is it 'much worse'

I have to believe even we would struggle to finish below 14th in League One next season.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Aug 2018 17:35

bracksroyal10 Hoping Bolton are going to be a surprise team this year in the league otherwise I am really concerned.

bracksroyal, good post, as usual. Yeah, early doors, but Bolton are in Top 6, and we're 7 points behind them already. That said, not a good sign we hype opponents. Have we played a really good team yet? After beating us, Derby lost both games since, Forest have won once in 4 games. Blackburn only just came up, but most are predicting defeat. :|
Last edited by Denver Royal on 20 Aug 2018 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Aug 2018 17:36

bracksroyal10 Matchday ticket
Money on food
£10 parking

I park and walk. No need to pay.

Food is an option. Take a sandwich from home.

Any event be it the theatre, music gig etc is often poor value for the extras.

219 posts