Ex Players

3107 posts
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ex Players

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Jun 2019 16:50

Methinks that there’s a little bit of the rose-tinted thing thing going on.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jun 2019 22:07

Royalwaster
3points Alex McCarthy to Liverpool being rumoured per BBC Gossip column to replace Mignolet as No 2

Good move for Liverpool not so good for Alex ... he'd earn more but he'd hardly play.

When he left us he had the choice of QPR or Liverpool. He chose QPR because he thought he'd get more game time.

He was wrong, and it was probably the worst decision of his career. He would have been first choice at Liverpool instead of second choice at QPR. He'd have earned more money, certainly won more England caps, and quite possibly have won the Champions League against Real Madrid.

Now Alisson is a much better goalkeeper than Mignolet or Karius, but my point is that these things do not always go according to plan. If Alisson gets an injury in the first game of the season then McCarthy would have one last chance to establish himself at that sort of level. If he goes to, I don't know, Villa or whoever, then he definitely won't play for Liverpool. But if he goes to Liverpool then he might do.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Jun 2019 22:49

McCathy showed in the Premiership with us that he had the potential to be a top, top keeper. Unfortunately the move to QPR fcuked all that as he needed to either be a regular starter or an understudy to a top keeper but unfortunately, his career has stagnated for 5 years.

When he left, even with the offer of regular football at QPR, he would have been better off at Liverpool as he would have been training with better players and better coaches at a more stable club and, even if he wasn't getting games with Liverpool, potentially getting loaned out to better teams than QPR.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Jun 2019 17:59

Always liked Jay ... model professional.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jun 2019 10:28

Royalwaster

Always liked Jay ... model professional.

1:5th scale model professional.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Jun 2019 18:51

SCIAG
Royalwaster
3points Alex McCarthy to Liverpool being rumoured per BBC Gossip column to replace Mignolet as No 2

Good move for Liverpool not so good for Alex ... he'd earn more but he'd hardly play.

When he left us he had the choice of QPR or Liverpool. He chose QPR because he thought he'd get more game time.

He was wrong, and it was probably the worst decision of his career. He would have been first choice at Liverpool instead of second choice at QPR. He'd have earned more money, certainly won more England caps, and quite possibly have won the Champions League against Real Madrid.

Now Alisson is a much better goalkeeper than Mignolet or Karius, but my point is that these things do not always go according to plan. If Alisson gets an injury in the first game of the season then McCarthy would have one last chance to establish himself at that sort of level. If he goes to, I don't know, Villa or whoever, then he definitely won't play for Liverpool. But if he goes to Liverpool then he might do.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Jun 2019 19:10

In all seriousness, whilst he was and presumably still is a great shot stopper, he was never going to get a sustained run at a top club at that time of his career with the state his distribution was in. Personally I think going to QPR in theory was a good idea. He potentially could have played more as he'd have hoped and been able to work on his weaknesses. Unfortunately for him it didn't work out like that.

Tbh I've not really seen enough of him since he's been at Southampton to see if he's improved significantly at that side of his game. If he hasn't, then back up at a big club is a good achievement for him. He'll play in some more minor competitions like the FA Cup and League Cup and if it goes well hopefully he'll win some medals.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jun 2019 08:33

Agree that McCarthy shouldn't have been at a top club. He should have gone to Liverpool instead.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Jun 2019 08:36

In all seriousness, it would seem McCarthy's distribution is unusually incisive.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... nvolvement

Think that's consistent with what people said about him at the time. He didn't strike the ball as well as Federici but he was better at picking his passes and was more willing to go for the quick throw.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jun 2019 09:16

SCIAG When he left us he had the choice of QPR or Liverpool. He chose QPR because he thought he'd get more game time.

My goodness, you again and posting complete and utter drivel again.

Basildon

by Basildon » 27 Jun 2019 11:05

Tariqe Fosu joining Oxf*rd it seems.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 29 Jun 2019 23:22

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/celtics-2-million-jack-stacey-3034216.amp

Jack Stacey to secure big money move to Celtic? (sorry if this has appeared elsewhere)

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Jul 2019 17:13

Anssi joins Bristol Rovers.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 08 Jul 2019 11:06

Recently saw Jerry Williams at the Royal Oak Wantage, still recovering from his hip replacement.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2019 21:08

Mr D Guthrie is apparently currently on trial with Walsall FC following a season in Indonesia.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Jul 2019 21:20

Sutekh Mr D Guthrie is apparently currently on trial with Walsall FC following a season in Indonesia.

Jakarta?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2019 21:21

Green
Sutekh Mr D Guthrie is apparently currently on trial with Walsall FC following a season in Indonesia.

Jakarta?

No, she went of her own accord.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 10 Jul 2019 16:39

Liam rosenier the new derby coach

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Jul 2019 17:12

Former Reading academy player Jordi Osei-Tutu who is playing for VfL Bochum, on loan from Arsenal, racially abused during a friendly by St. Gallen's Sliman Kchouk.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jul 2019 14:47

I want to know what Adi Williams does these days. Seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

3107 posts