Ex Players

3107 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ex Players

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 May 2023 16:56

morganb Chris Gunter retires from playing football to become backroom staff for the Wales national team

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... ng-career/

Backroom staff at Wales? We could announce him as our new manager...

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2023 17:10

YorkshireRoyal99
morganb Chris Gunter retires from playing football to become backroom staff for the Wales national team

Couldn’t really do worse than the parade of god knows what we’ve had to endure since Adkins departed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2023 17:50

YorkshireRoyal99

You are full of dreadful ideas.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 May 2023 19:47

YorkshireRoyal99

fukk that, has he still got his boots?

(Only joking Ian)

Rax

by Rax » 04 May 2023 22:30

Sutekh
Mid Sussex Royal Both those 2 I think were among the five players axed from the first team by Burns and had to train with the youth sides. They were both in my view way better than the dross he signed.

Best wishes to Bowen & family, that's a horrible illness

Yes Burns (TB2) had his ideas shall we say and some of them quite bizarre, it was obvious from early on he was out of touch with how decent third and fourth division football in England actually was. Seem to have a memory that one of the “5” sidelined was, initially, Phil Parkinson! Sidelining Bowen and then Legg was an utterly ridiculous move though neither were happy at the club at the time. Asaba, despite being the club’s top scorer in the relegation team was another one sidelined and the fifth I think was Gareth Davies.

On top of that, how he was convinced the likes of van der Kwaak, Kromheer and Reilly were any ****** good when most supporters had sussed their shortcomings in about 20 minutes is quite beyond me! But then he obviously thought replacing the “5” with the likes of Kromheer, Reilly, Sarr, Gray and Crawford would be an upgrade :roll:

God Burns’ time was bad, and he didn’t even have the issue of the signings being pretty much forced on him due to ffp!

Lambert was also among the players deemed "unfit for purpose" - then we got Mark Reilly!!

If you thought this season was bad - look at the results of the last season at Elm Park - we shipped 5 on a fairly regular basis!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2023 23:01

Rax
Sutekh
Mid Sussex Royal Both those 2 I think were among the five players axed from the first team by Burns and had to train with the youth sides. They were both in my view way better than the dross he signed.

Best wishes to Bowen & family, that's a horrible illness

Yes Burns (TB2) had his ideas shall we say and some of them quite bizarre, it was obvious from early on he was out of touch with how decent third and fourth division football in England actually was. Seem to have a memory that one of the “5” sidelined was, initially, Phil Parkinson! Sidelining Bowen and then Legg was an utterly ridiculous move though neither were happy at the club at the time. Asaba, despite being the club’s top scorer in the relegation team was another one sidelined and the fifth I think was Gareth Davies.

On top of that, how he was convinced the likes of van der Kwaak, Kromheer and Reilly were any ****** good when most supporters had sussed their shortcomings in about 20 minutes is quite beyond me! But then he obviously thought replacing the “5” with the likes of Kromheer, Reilly, Sarr, Gray and Crawford would be an upgrade :roll:

God Burns’ time was bad, and he didn’t even have the issue of the signings being pretty much forced on him due to ffp!

Lambert was also among the players deemed "unfit for purpose" - then we got Mark Reilly!!

If you thought this season was bad - look at the results of the last season at Elm Park - we shipped 5 on a fairly regular basis!

Not regular, twice. 6-0 at Tranmere and 5-1 at Stockport about 6 months later.

Rax

by Rax » 04 May 2023 23:13

Sutekh
Rax
Sutekh

Stand corrected Suts - it was a few years ago but I distinctly remember Tranmere and Stockport and incorrectly thought it was a regular occurance!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 May 2023 23:19

Rax
Sutekh
Rax

Stand corrected Suts - it was a few years ago but I distinctly remember Tranmere and Stockport and incorrectly thought it was a regular occurance!

Weren’t too far wrong though, 4 was a reasonably common occurrence: Ipswich, Sunderland, Middlesbrough (that was a good one, it was still 0-0 after 75 minutes), Bradford and SheffU.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 May 2023 08:43

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

You are full of dreadful ideas.

Yeah calm down it was a joke.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2023 08:27

Found this on Amazon

Any memories of Rod out there?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 13 May 2023 11:32

Sutekh Found this on Amazon

Thanks for that Sutekh, have ordered the book.

Football memory-4 goals on a very wet day v Watford (?0 playing in midfield.
Personal memory-He played I believe for Poole Town (like a lot of ex-pros).

One day at my office in Parkstone my assistant said that somebody was enquiring about life assurance by the name of Thornhill-not an uncommon name as I had a friend with the same name who lived locally.
Anyway this fairly tall and thin bloke in overalls (painter and decorator?) came in and I recognised him straight away.
Unfortunately he was a bit rushed for time so we had very little conversation about RFC-yes he did take out a policy.

Some years later I had the pleasure of meeting the legend Johnny Brooks ( even I am not quite old enough to see him play but knew all about his footballing history including 3 England caps) in similar circumstances who spent his middle and later years living down this way-my assistant was the best friend of his daughter Michelle and was a friend of the footballing son, Shaun.

zaskar

by zaskar » 15 May 2023 18:30

South Coast Royal
Sutekh Found this on Amazon

Thanks for that Sutekh, have ordered the book.

Football memory-4 goals on a very wet day v Watford (?0 playing in midfield.
Personal memory-He played I believe for Poole Town (like a lot of ex-pros).

One day at my office in Parkstone my assistant said that somebody was enquiring about life assurance by the name of Thornhill-not an uncommon name as I had a friend with the same name who lived locally.
Anyway this fairly tall and thin bloke in overalls (painter and decorator?) came in and I recognised him straight away.
Unfortunately he was a bit rushed for time so we had very little conversation about RFC-yes he did take out a policy.

Some years later I had the pleasure of meeting the legend Johnny Brooks ( even I am not quite old enough to see him play but knew all about his footballing history including 3 England caps) in similar circumstances who spent his middle and later years living down this way-my assistant was the best friend of his daughter Michelle and was a friend of the footballing son, Shaun.

There were some photos of Rod on facebook recently having a tour around the SCL, he's got alzheimers these days and looks a bit frail. The last time I saw him he was living in Finchampstead doing furniture repairs and french polishing.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 17 May 2023 16:10

Shane Long leaves - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/17/shane-long-leaves/

He is quoted as saying he was still the second fastest player at the club which begs the question of who was the fastest this season just finished? Tom Ince or Yakou Meite?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 May 2023 16:15

MartinRdg Shane Long leaves - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/17/shane-long-leaves/

He is quoted as saying he was still the second fastest player at the club which begs the question of who was the fastest this season just finished? Tom Ince or Yakou Meite?

Mbengue would be my guess.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 17 May 2023 16:16

MartinRdg Shane Long leaves - https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/17/shane-long-leaves/

Scott Dann

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 May 2023 16:59

NathStPaul

Scott Dann

If that was the case, it's no wonder Reading were relegated.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 May 2023 17:01

NathStPaul

Scott Dann on his mobility scooter

C4y.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2023 17:41

Sutekh
NathStPaul

Scott Dann

Long's in great nick for his age, but that's shameful for almost all of Yiadom, Meite, Mbengue, Camara, Senga, Azeez, NGW, Rahman, Hoilett, Ehibhatiomhan, Loum, Fornah and Abrefa if they're all included.

Or maybe Long only sprinted in training. Because loads of them looked faster than him on the pitch.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 May 2023 08:33

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
NathStPaul Scott Dann

Long's in great nick for his age, but that's shameful for almost all of Yiadom, Meite, Mbengue, Camara, Senga, Azeez, NGW, Rahman, Hoilett, Ehibhatiomhan, Loum, Fornah and Abrefa if they're all included.

Or maybe Long only sprinted in training. Because loads of them looked faster than him on the pitch.
Depends over what distance we're talking. Long maintained his acceleration, but had lost his top end speed. I could still see him being one of the fastest over ten yards, but certainly not beyond that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 May 2023 12:52

Charlie Adam apparently running for the Dundee post...

3107 posts