Ex Players

3107 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ex Players

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2022 16:38

Franchise FC
Hound Noticed both Novakovic and Loader ooc this summer. Wonder if either or both will be kept on where they are. Not exactly set their respective clubs on fire at arguably a lower standard than the champ

Interesting that there were some calls to get them tied down to better contracts when they were with us.

Just shows how very difficult it is to select those that will compared to those that won’t
Much easier to select those who did compared to those who didn’t

Suppose it's a different set of circumstances, particularly in a different league abroad.

The Championship is a tough league, but I suppose it's about whether the club thinks someone's ability and playing style can fit in the team and the division they play in. Although, if you aren't standing out in Serie B, I wouldn't exactly say we've missed out on much.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 18:41

Simon's Church Loader is only 21 and has 12 goals and 4 assists in 30 for Porto B this season, as well as a goal on his Porto debut. Think its probably still too early to right him off as not making it. If he does leave, I'd be interested to see what he would do at somewhere like MK dons or Ipswich.

Yeah it’s ‘ok’ but surely not what he was dreaming of when he left us. Be interesting to see if he stays on

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 May 2022 18:46

Hound
Simon's Church Loader is only 21 and has 12 goals and 4 assists in 30 for Porto B this season, as well as a goal on his Porto debut. Think its probably still too early to right him off as not making it. If he does leave, I'd be interested to see what he would do at somewhere like MK dons or Ipswich.

Yeah it’s ‘ok’ but surely not what he was dreaming of when he left us. Be interesting to see if he stays on
maybe our team captain (at that time) helped sway his decision???

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 May 2022 20:15

AthleticoSpizz Absolute screamer by Charlie Adam last night for Dundee v Hibs. Worth checking out on the games BBC site highlights.

Dundees’ 3-1 win helps their slim hopes of Premier survival alive, Charlie (36) awarded motm despite only coming on from the bench with 30 minutes to go.
surprised/disappointed there has been no discerning comments on here about it (the goal)

An experienced head will take that chance, his goal was a beautiful thing…oh how we would’ve wished for a few like that last season.

Sweet

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 May 2022 21:38

Haven’t seen it but did see his diabolical back pass the game before….

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 12 May 2022 21:44

Hound Haven’t seen it but did see his diabolical back pass the game before….

Not so much back pass as defence splitting
That’s his forté isn’t it ?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 25 May 2022 05:55

Pendlebury and Burley are let go by Wycombe Wanderers.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 25 May 2022 08:10

I see that Sam Smith had a pretty productive season at Cambridge. Is there anyone on here who lives fairly close and seen him play? I liked him but then he seemed to struggle for a while. Maybe league 1 is his level.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2022 09:19

blythspartan I see that Sam Smith had a pretty productive season at Cambridge. Is there anyone on here who lives fairly close and seen him play? I liked him but then he seemed to struggle for a while. Maybe league 1 is his level.

Haven't got to any games, but know a STH and it's more he's found his level. I think.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 May 2022 09:24

blythspartan I see that Sam Smith had a pretty productive season at Cambridge. Is there anyone on here who lives fairly close and seen him play? I liked him but then he seemed to struggle for a while. Maybe league 1 is his level.

Can be filed away with Tennai Watson, Teddy Howe, Liam Kelly, Aaron Kuhl etc etc - think you have answered your own question.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 May 2022 09:27

Probably being a bit harsh on Smith is that, had a pretty impressive season with Cambridge and hit a fair number of goals for them this season. The rest have just fallen down and down and down, is Aaron Kuhl in the Non-league pyramid now? Teddy Howe is at Barnet, outside the football league, Liam Kelly at Rochdale etc.

Smith seems to have found a level and impressed, if he can sustain what he's doing at Cambridge and improve his goal tally, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if he ended up back in the Championship.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2022 11:47

Weird mix of players to compare Smith to, Kelly in particular

Kelly was very highly rated through the Academy and essentially made it at Championship level before his career folded. 66 Championship starts. Career been backsliding since Stam season 2, now in L2

Smith - ok Academy player who essentially got barely a sniff at Championship level because he clearly wasn't up to it at that point, who has gone on to forge a successful career moving up from L2 and into L1

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2022 11:51

From the little I saw of Smith whilst he was here he always seemed to put a shift in, think he has the right attitude which is demonstrated by what he has done with Cambridge. Done well and seems to have found his level.

Liam Kelly bought in to the hype from Stam and others at the club, I believe Stam mentioned his name and Iniesta's in the same sentence and there was also that awful moment where he thought he was too big to play for the Republic of Ireland. He fell into the hype trap and is now playing League 2 football. Will he have the desire necessary to get back up to Championship level? I have my doubts.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 May 2022 12:37

Never, ever got the Kelly hype. He did look outstanding in youth teams but always seemed to play pretty poorly in the first team. Someone who was certainly happy to pass it, just for the sake of passing without actually doing anything with it.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2022 12:56

Hendo Never, ever got the Kelly hype. He did look outstanding in youth teams but always seemed to play pretty poorly in the first team. Someone who was certainly happy to pass it, just for the sake of passing without actually doing anything with it.

Siri, define the Jaap Stam years.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 May 2022 12:56

Hendo Never, ever got the Kelly hype. He did look outstanding in youth teams but always seemed to play pretty poorly in the first team. Someone who was certainly happy to pass it, just for the sake of passing without actually doing anything with it.

The perfect fit for Stamball then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 May 2022 13:03

Dunno, Kelly was very good first Stam year for us. Worked very hard and scored a few as well

Fell off a cliff after that though

Smith I liked but lacked a bit of quality. Still time for him to make champ level but pleased he is doing well in div1

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 May 2022 13:13

Not quite sure that was true of Kelly until he’d lost a lot of his form. Albeit he perhaps wasn’t as good as people (and Stam) made out but that’s the general consensus you’ll get with academy products. He was neat and tidy, but also contributed with goals and assists in the first 9/10 months

Did like the suggestion mind that Norwood wasn’t a loss because both Evans and Kelly were better players. Time has really nullified that claim

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 May 2022 14:48

URZZZZ Did like the suggestion mind that Norwood wasn’t a loss because both Evans and Kelly were better players. Time has really nullified that claim

Norwood is the absolute business.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2022 15:09

Sporting Lisbon willing to pay £5m to sign Joao Virginia. WTAF.

3107 posts