Ex Players

3107 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ex Players

by John Smith » 27 May 2022 15:01

Hound Thought the last season he was here he was absolutely nailing it under Clarke, but like the rest of the team just totally fell apart as the season went on. Can’t say I was disappointed when he moved but was obvs then superb a season or two down the line for Sheff U (he didn’t pull up any trees for Brighton or Fulham? If I remember rightly)

Pretty much nail on the head, I'd say.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 May 2022 19:55

Snowflake Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Hound
Don’t need another ageing Cb sadly
but we need a cheap experienced CB as a defensive coach/stand-in player

Would be nice imho and not just for old times sake….local lad, long in the tooth and worth a punt.

You could see what it meant to be back last Saturday

What is the obsession with wanting people with no coaching experience as a coach.
what, with like John O’Shea?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Jun 2022 13:46

Talk that Alex Pearce will sign for Wimbledon so that’ll add interest to the scheduled pre-season friendly.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Jun 2022 14:49

If no case to answer for Gylfi - ie lack of evidence, case dropped - would you welcome back here. Can you see many clubs taking him? (will ignore the wage issue for a minute).

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Jun 2022 15:36

paultheroyal If no case to answer for Gylfi - ie lack of evidence, case dropped - would you welcome back here. Can you see many clubs taking him? (will ignore the wage issue for a minute).

Provided it's all clear, the chances are he'll sign for a team in a better position.

If it becomes an ongoing, protracted case, he might do well to just continue playing, and maybe we'd be good - but I imagine opposition players wanting to kick lumps out of him.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Jun 2022 15:38

John Smith
Hound Thought the last season he was here he was absolutely nailing it under Clarke, but like the rest of the team just totally fell apart as the season went on. Can’t say I was disappointed when he moved but was obvs then superb a season or two down the line for Sheff U (he didn’t pull up any trees for Brighton or Fulham? If I remember rightly)

Pretty much nail on the head, I'd say.

Sorry for not paying attention, but if he's on a free, then a big yes from me.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Jun 2022 19:13

skipper
paultheroyal If no case to answer for Gylfi - ie lack of evidence, case dropped - would you welcome back here. Can you see many clubs taking him? (will ignore the wage issue for a minute).

Provided it's all clear, the chances are he'll sign for a team in a better position.

If it becomes an ongoing, protracted case, he might do well to just continue playing, and maybe we'd be good - but I imagine opposition players wanting to kick lumps out of him.

I guess for us to be in with a sniff of signing him, there'd have to still be some question marks hanging over his conduct and I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 07 Jun 2022 10:39

Coppells Lost Coat I am inclined to say Tish as well......i think he left too early and career has faulted ever since. There is a good player in there still.

One of the most overrated players ever to put on a Reading shirt.

Tish by name...!

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 09 Jun 2022 07:22

John Smith
Coppells Lost Coat I am inclined to say Tish as well......i think he left too early and career has faulted ever since. There is a good player in there still.

Tish by name...!

When he came in initially he was superb but the injuries he got really knocked him back.

The Villa signing was awful for his development but probably great for him financially (no issue with that by the way). He joined when it was a bit of a basket case and since then he's not been able to kick on, despite starting well there too.

I am not sure what his contract status is in Turkey but at 27 you'd think he's coming into his prime. It's probably not a risk we can afford to take - even if we'd be able to buy him - but I do still think the ability is within him to play higher than div 2 in Turkey.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jun 2022 13:52

JedMaxwell
John Smith

Tish by name...!

When he came in initially he was superb but the injuries he got really knocked him back.

The Villa signing was awful for his development but probably great for him financially (no issue with that by the way). He joined when it was a bit of a basket case and since then he's not been able to kick on, despite starting well there too.

I am not sure what his contract status is in Turkey but at 27 you'd think he's coming into his prime. It's probably not a risk we can afford to take - even if we'd be able to buy him - but I do still think the ability is within him to play higher than div 2 in Turkey.

He’s contracted to Genclirbigli until the summer of 2023 so is extremely unlikely to be re-joining Reading this summer.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Jun 2022 15:11

From Despair To Where?
I guess for us to be in with a sniff of signing him, there'd have to still be some question marks hanging over his conduct and I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that.

He’s going to have been out of the game for at least a year. He might have gym equipment in the safe house but seems unlikely he’s going out for many jogs and he certainly won’t have kicked a ball in any serious way. Plus he’ll be 33 in a few months.

It’s possible, like Brentford with Eriksen, someone would take a punt on him to save them from relegation from the top flight. But he’ll have been out of the game for longer than Eriksen and was never as good to begin with.

If I were him, as soon as I got the all-clear I’d want to get out of the country. Could maybe go to the Netherlands, or else back home. The US is difficult if you have an arrest record but can still be done. But if he did want to stay in English football, and no top flight clubs were interested, I think we’d be near the front of the queue. We just wouldn’t be queueing up for the bright young thing we sold. Best case would be another Darren Caskey, worst case would be another Les Ferdinand.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jun 2022 15:27

I just think that in the case of Ched Evans, for example, you may still think he's a w@nker but he can point to the fact his conviction was overturned.

Not being charged through lack of evidence still leaves uncertainty.

As you say, I can't see him staying in Britain.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Jun 2022 11:54

Depends on the facts of the case, which I can't remember and the circumstances around the case being dropped. Also need to take into account fitness, match fitness and how badly his form may be affected by opposition fans chanting Peado at him for 90+ minutes, also on that note the reputation of our familly club and the effect that may have on the fans. It's probably going to be a No from me for any one of those reasons

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 10 Jun 2022 16:45

Forbury Lion
Depends on the facts of the case, which I can't remember and the circumstances around the case being dropped. Also need to take into account fitness, match fitness and how badly his form may be affected by opposition fans chanting Peado at him for 90+ minutes, also on that note the reputation of our familly club and the effect that may have on the fans. It's probably going to be a No from me for any one of those reasons

Did anyone read the Athletic article about it? It says absolutely nothing about Gylfi's specific case, obvs, but it does point out that it could take upward of 2 years to sort out. Well Gylfi is 30(?) so that's probably his career over?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2022 16:49

skipper
Forbury Lion

Did anyone read the Athletic article about it? It says absolutely nothing about Gylfi's specific case, obvs, but it does point out that it could take upward of 2 years to sort out. Well Gylfi is 30(?) so that's probably his career over?

32. After more than a year out, at that age, his career at any sort of professional level is already over IMO.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jun 2022 20:40

Guntz released by Charlton

Still bench warming for Wales

Therefore, could still be involved in the WC

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 12 Jun 2022 18:01

AthleticoSpizz Guntz released by Charlton

honestly getting silly at this stage - is he in there as a team mascot or what?

I mean, Bale obviously is also without a club, but there the similarities rest.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 12 Jun 2022 18:07

Can play anywhere across the back five which is pretty valuable. He's third choice right back but they usually use Neco Williams at left back, with Gunter effectively covering both sides.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 13 Jun 2022 09:18

SCIAG ...Gunter effectively covering....

The first time those words have ever been used together in a sentence.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 13 Jun 2022 15:37

muirinho
AthleticoSpizz Guntz released by Charlton

honestly getting silly at this stage - is he in there as a team mascot or what?

I mean, Bale obviously is also without a club, but there the similarities rest.

Wasn’t HRK without a club when he scored his ‘wonder goal’ for Wales ?

3107 posts