AthleticoSpizz I’ll raise you a Hoilett

Carroll, Lumley

Jury’s out on the likes of Mbengue, Loum, Hendrick

Got to keep Hendrick.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ex Players

by Sutekh » 26 Oct 2022 20:20

Liam Rosenior is in the running for the Hull City job.

Michael Olise is thought to be on the wish list of AC Milan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Oct 2022 20:30

karbota
YorkshireRoyal99 I definitely think we will be able to keep a few of them on at least. I feel like we may end up signing Loum permanently, hopefully Mbengue and Carroll are kept on until the EOS at least to give them both a fair opportunity, Lumley I think would be a good addition and Hendrick may depend on availability and wage demands. Hoilett for another season as well would be good.

NO.

Least surprising opinion of the day from karbota

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 27 Oct 2022 18:25

Hound
karbota
YorkshireRoyal99 I definitely think we will be able to keep a few of them on at least. I feel like we may end up signing Loum permanently, hopefully Mbengue and Carroll are kept on until the EOS at least to give them both a fair opportunity, Lumley I think would be a good addition and Hendrick may depend on availability and wage demands. Hoilett for another season as well would be good.

NO.

Least surprising opinion of the day from karbota

Thank you.

Hendrick to Long to Carroll = Goal

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Oct 2022 19:46

Ince to Loum also = goal

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 Oct 2022 14:28

Interesting to see Mark Bowen echo similar comments to myself from a few months ago regarding Michael Olise's move to Palace, being that his buy-out clause was far too low for a player of his ability and potential, claiming that, had the situation have been managed differently, the outcome may be different as well. Granted, he has admitted that he wasn't involved in the talks between club, player, agent, familty etc regarding the original deal, but still feels it may have been managed differently to bring a better outcome rather than a "measly" £8m.

Bowen has also admitted that there is no sell on clause from the deal, meaning that we will miss out on any such larger fees should Olise move from Palace. Olise has been strongly linked with AC Milan in recent times for figures reported to be in and around £35-50m.

Arsene Wenger had met with both Vieira and Olise as well, where he says to Olise (in French) that he needs to score more goals to excel to the next level.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 Oct 2022 14:44

YorkshireRoyal99 Interesting to see Mark Bowen echo similar comments to myself from a few months ago regarding Michael Olise's move to Palace, being that his buy-out clause was far too low for a player of his ability and potential, claiming that, had the situation have been managed differently, the outcome may be different as well. Granted, he has admitted that he wasn't involved in the talks between club, player, agent, familty etc regarding the original deal, but still feels it may have been managed differently to bring a better outcome rather than a "measly" £8m.

Bowen has also admitted that there is no sell on clause from the deal, meaning that we will miss out on any such larger fees should Olise move from Palace. Olise has been strongly linked with AC Milan in recent times for figures reported to be in and around £35-50m.

Arsene Wenger had met with both Vieira and Olise as well, where he says to Olise (in French) that he needs to score more goals to excel to the next level.

Really good work from the club there, not only screwing up on the value but also not getting a sell on clause. While I could maybe understand the former due to the player’s agent not wanting it too high, so as to lose any early interest, but I really don’t see how, with things as they were at the time, the club failed on the sell on front as well!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Oct 2022 19:01

YorkshireRoyal99 Interesting to see Mark Bowen echo similar comments to myself from a few months ago regarding Michael Olise's move to Palace, being that his buy-out clause was far too low for a player of his ability and potential, claiming that, had the situation have been managed differently, the outcome may be different as well. Granted, he has admitted that he wasn't involved in the talks between club, player, agent, familty etc regarding the original deal, but still feels it may have been managed differently to bring a better outcome rather than a "measly" £8m.

I think its difficult for the club to negotiate anything as if the buy out clause is triggered the player's contract is effectively cancelled so I can't see any need for any club to club negotiation.

Can't see Milan coming in anyway, he hasn't looked as good this season although he's always played wide left by Viera. If milan are looking at anyone it's probably Eze from what i've seen of Palace this season.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Oct 2022 19:53

Mid Sussex Royal

I think its difficult for the club to negotiate anything as if the buy out clause is triggered the player's contract is effectively cancelled so I can't see any need for any club to club negotiation.

Can't see Milan coming in anyway, he hasn't looked as good this season although he's always played wide left by Viera. If milan are looking at anyone it's probably Eze from what i've seen of Palace this season.

Absolutely. We weren’t involved in Olise’s move to Palace, it was simply a question of his agent agreeing personal terms. There was no scope for us demanding sell ons or any other extras
I’m also not sure how much scope there was for putting a higher release fee. Olise was at Reading for one reason - to get games and a move to a PL club. If the terms we took him on weren’t in his favour he’d simply have found another club to be his springboard .
You can say we should have got more but frankly £8 million for a player who just passed through our hands briefly is probably not unfair. If he’d genuinely been an Academy product then maybe I’d think differently.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Oct 2022 22:10

Sutekh

Really good work from the club there, not only screwing up on the value but also not getting a sell on clause. While I could maybe understand the former due to the player’s agent not wanting it too high, so as to lose any early interest, but I really don’t see how, with things as they were at the time, the club failed on the sell on front as well!

This all screams hindsight is 20/20.

When we signed him he was a talented youngster who was let go by both City and Chelsea, and hadn't played any professional minutes. It took him 3 seasons with us to prove himself.

It's also got to be pretty rare to have a big, and make no mistake, £8m for a 16/17 year old with no first team experience is a big fee, plus a sell on clause.

Are we really suggesting we should have tried to give an untested kid a £15m release clause or something similar?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Nov 2022 07:07

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

When we signed him he was a talented youngster who was let go by both City and Chelsea, and hadn't played any professional minutes. It took him 3 seasons with us to prove himself.

It's also got to be pretty rare to have a big, and make no mistake, £8m for a 16/17 year old with no first team experience is a big fee, plus a sell on clause.

Are we really suggesting we should have tried to give an untested kid a £15m release clause or something similar?

No, I’m not too worried on the release clause front, it was too low but the issue for me there was more for me about why on earth there was one in his contract at all (actually presume it may have been at the player’s request)? I’m more hacked off with fact that given the way things had gone and it was known the guy was a bit useful, and that people were saying £8m was an undervaluation, that the club then failed to get a sell on clause but then I know nothing about the negotiation process in these instances so perhaps there was something that meant they couldn’t do so and/or Palace wouldn’t wear it and with Reading needing the cash it was very much a buyer’s market.

Never would have happened with Nicky in the driving director’s chair and presume now the club have been burnt that it will not happen again given the same circumstances.

Anyway all water under the bridge now and let’s look for the next wonder kid the club need to “protect”!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2022 07:45

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

No, I’m not too worried on the release clause front, it was too low but the issue for me there was more for me about why on earth there was one in his contract at all (actually presume it may have been at the player’s request)? I’m more hacked off with fact that given the way things had gone and it was known the guy was a bit useful, and that people were saying £8m was an undervaluation, that the club then failed to get a sell on clause but then I know nothing about the negotiation process in these instances so perhaps there was something that meant they couldn’t do so and/or Palace wouldn’t wear it and with Reading needing the cash it was very much a buyer’s market.

Never would have happened with Nicky in the driving director’s chair and presume now the club have been burnt that it will not happen again given the same circumstances.

Anyway all water under the bridge now and let’s look for the next wonder kid the club need to “protect”!

I seem to recall it was reported or at least fairly strongly rumoured that Olise's camp made it clear he would only sign the deal offered if the release clause was added to it, else they were happy for him to go elsewhere. Naturally worth noting as well, if we hadn't had a release clause in for him, we would have got one more season out of him and then only got a compensation fee that would have been markedly less than 8m and still no sell on fee.

The club at the time clearly felt the "risk" of losing him cheaply was worth having a player of his quality in the squad as for 8m to seem low he would have had to have been a success.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Nov 2022 07:47

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Not often I get to agree with Ian, but he’s spot on here.

We had NO negotiating position at all. The release clause was triggered, we had no choice but to accept it with a smile.
Of course, we could’ve asked for all sorts of things, but Palace and Olise could simply have said thanks but no thanks
And no amount of Squeaky intervention would have made any difference as soon as that release clause was triggered

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2022 07:55

Not an ex player but looks like Paunovic could be in line for a return to management in Mexico with Chivas.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 01 Nov 2022 08:03

Stranded Not an ex player but looks like Paunovic could be in line for a return to management in Mexico with Chivas.

I'll always wish Pauno the best.

He was a genuinely decent bloke but just got a bit out of his depth and ran out of steam last season. He was dignified and classy until the end and as far as I am aware has never taken a swipe at the club or fans since he left.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2022 08:36

Stranded Not an ex player but looks like Paunovic could be in line for a return to management in Mexico with Chivas.

Now confirmed.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Nov 2022 08:51

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

I think what Bowen is suggesting that the club may not have been in a position to offer Olise a new contract due to the financial constraints we were under at the time of his breakthrough. No confirmation of this, I'm just speculating. I know Bowen has done an interview about 18 months ago with The Athletic saying that he "knew the club's situation in regards to signings and contracts", referring to the signing of Josh Laurent, as he knew he needed cheaper options capable of doing a job at this level. Whether that could also translate to retaining players and improving deals is another issue entirely. Olise would have had no obligation to sign any deal, be it improved or not, I think the bigger frustration seems to be we didn't seem to be in a position to offer him anything that he may have wanted.

An £8m fee for a 16 year old kid isn't really the issue, the issue may have been could we have offered him something else/an improved deal to improve his contract and thus our release clause.

No qualms over any sell on percentage, Palace had no obligation to put that into any deal, they would only be hindering themselves which would just be pointless for them. That would have been the case with any release clause as well, just activate it and then be done.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Nov 2022 09:13

Stranded

Now confirmed.

To be exact the club he’s taken over at is actually called Club Deportivo Guadalajara. Las Chivas is the nickname. Guadalajara play in the top division in Mexico and, along with Club America, have a record of never having been relegated.

Guadalajara are currently 9th in the table having only had 1 draw from their last 4 but before that had picked up 16 points from 18 available so he goes to what looks to be a decent club currently. Their ground has a capacity of almost 50000 so there won’t be too much room to hide if things go wrong!

For the record, according to CONCACAF the Liga MX (top division in Mexico) draws the largest crowds on average of any football league in the Americas and the third largest crowds of any professional sports league in North America (only the NFL and the MLB (Basketball) better it) and is the 4th most attended football league in the world behind the Bundesliga, the Premier League and La Liga.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2022 09:20

Sutekh
Stranded

Now confirmed.

To be exact the club he’s taken over at is actually called Club Deportivo Guadalajara. Las Chivas is the nickname. Guadalajara play in the top division in Mexico and, along with Club America, have a record of never having been relegated.

Guadalajara are currently 9th in the table having only had 1 draw from their last 4 but before that had picked up 16 points from 18 available so he goes to what looks to be a decent club currently. Their ground has a capacity of almost 50000 so there won’t be too much room to hide if things go wrong!

For the record, according to CONCACAF the Liga MX (top division in Mexico) draws the largest crowds on average of any football league in the Americas and the third largest crowds of any professional sports league in North America (only the NFL and the MLB (Basketball) better it) and is the 4th most attended football league in the world behind the Bundesliga, the Premier League and La Liga.

Ah thanks for clarifying, read the nickname first hence the confusion.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 01 Nov 2022 09:37

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Knowing our record if there wasn't a release clause we wouldn't have sold him and he would have walked for free anyway so 8m is good business.

3107 posts