On this day

413 posts
Kulshaw72RFC

Re: On this day

by Kulshaw72RFC » 08 Oct 2018 17:54

Didn't Bikey get sent off once in an international for pushing a physio on the ground who was helping one of his own players?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Oct 2018 17:56

Kulshaw72RFC Didn't Bikey get sent off once in an international for pushing a physio on the ground who was helping one of his own players?

poor quality but its in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zzHcyIlEKs

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 08 Oct 2018 18:50

I remember Stephen Hunt was brilliant up until Xmas and some rumour that Everton were interested started and he threw his toys out the pram. And was never the same, even though SC had him in the office and called David Moyes to prove it was rubbish. Just one home win after New year and we would have gone up :oops:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Oct 2018 22:41

Jerry St Clair 24 September 1994
Watford 2 - 2 Reading

One of my favourite away games in a season full of cracking away games. We filled the whole lower tier of the Rous Stand with a cracking, boisterous away following. There were definitely plenty of people on the pitch after the goals.

My hazy memory recalls that we came back twice to equalise, but not sure if that’s correct?

24 years ago, though. Christ.

Jerry! Blimey that's a blast from the past.

Come say hello on AE, champ.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2018 08:12

On this day in 1997 we drew 3-3 at home with Crewe. Carl Asaba on the scoresheet twice and an OG in our favour.

Carl Asaba is very underrated. I know he was inconsistent but I rate him.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 10 Oct 2018 09:41

Old Man Andrews On this day in 1997 we drew 3-3 at home with Crewe. Carl Asaba on the scoresheet twice and an OG in our favour.

How far we have come since then. Upon reflection.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Oct 2018 09:41

Old Man Andrews On this day in 1997 we drew 3-3 at home with Crewe. Carl Asaba on the scoresheet twice and an OG in our favour.

Great game - we were 0-3 down in half an hour in the rain and -100 Crewe were running around on the terrace. Incredible moments.

Asaba had ability but didn't express it with us.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Oct 2018 09:48

He wasn't the £800k star performer we signed him to be but I've always been mystified why Asaba was put on the outs list by Burns when he had proven pedigree in the third tier. It's an even more strange decision considering our options at the time were Fleck, McIntyre, Williams and Brayson :oops:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2018 09:51

Wimb He wasn't the £800k star performer we signed him to be but I've always been mystified why Asaba was put on the outs list by Burns when he had proven pedigree in the third tier. It's an even more strange decision considering our options at the time were Fleck, McIntyre, Williams and Brayson :oops:

He had a very good spell at Sheffield United after leaving us didn't he?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 10 Oct 2018 09:51

Wimb He wasn't the £800k star performer we signed him to be but I've always been mystified why Asaba was put on the outs list by Burns when he had proven pedigree in the third tier. It's an even more strange decision considering our options at the time were Fleck, McIntyre, Williams and Brayson :oops:

He was quick, had a fair amount of skill and knew where the goal is. Couldn't head a ball to save his life though.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 10 Oct 2018 11:04

Old Man Andrews

Yep, he excelled at Brentford, Gillingham and Sheff Utd. I always liked him. i think the problem for us was the fee. He had the same strike rate as Lee Nogan (1 in 3) yet they're remembered very differently, mainly because Asaba cost more than three times as much, I'm guessing.

He scored the opener in Gillingham's epic play off final against Man Citeh. it's worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQV_PFyBLoU

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 10 Oct 2018 11:30

The second being a header that he knew nothing about. Caskey swung the corner in and it just hit Asaba in the face then flew in.
The thing I remember most about that match was the rain.....we were standing on the South Bank, by the corner of the Tilehurst End and for some reason I refused to go under the roof that covered most of the SB.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Oct 2018 11:43

Jerry St Clair
Old Man Andrews

Yep, he excelled at Brentford, Gillingham and Sheff Utd. I always liked him. i think the problem for us was the fee. He had the same strike rate as Lee Nogan (1 in 3) yet they're remembered very differently, mainly because Asaba cost more than three times as much, I'm guessing.

He scored the opener in Gillingham's epic play off final against Man Citeh. it's worth a look:

Yup tore it up at Gillingham. Scored 22 goals the season he left us including one against us at the Priestfield when our front line was apparently McLaren, McKeever and McIntyre :oops:

Funny, I look at the team from that day and see a lot of similarities in terms of the problems we have now. Individually just about every player there was decent (for that level at least) aside from maybe Glasgow (even Maybury went on to have a good career elsewhere), yet together they were mediocre and never really gelled. That squad also suffered from being overly large and having lots of transition in it.

(G) S Howie, C Casper,L Primus, A Maybury, D Caskey, B Glasgow (73) (Brebner), P Parkinson, S Gray, J McIntyre, A McLaren, M McKeever (66) (K Scott)

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Oct 2018 12:23

Jerry St Clair
Old Man Andrews

I was at the game with a couple of City supporting mates. Proper old school Manchester City fans there that day, it was a fantastic atmosphere. Loads were streaming out after the second Gillingham goal and heard the roar after Horlock pulled one back, and most had made it back in by the time Dickov scored the second. By comparison, the red half were celebrating the treble in 99 but for City fans this was the real turning point of their club nearly 20 years ago now

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Oct 2018 13:52

The highlights of that one were on Sky a few weekends ago, as part of a gr8 playoff finals thing.

Lovely.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Oct 2018 13:52

SPOTTED: young Tony Pulis, not looking any younger.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Oct 2018 14:00

Asaba was still playing for Sheffield United in 02-03, think he scored in the early kickoff* when we went to Portsmouth, they scored three and I ate a three quarter pounder burger outside the ground.

*indeed he did, twice.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Oct 2018 15:09

This. Asaba also managed 13 goals in the team that was relegated and yet some fans slagged him off all the time for some peculiar reason. If he'd stayed Reading might have had the goals to mount a challenge.

Hopeful

by Hopeful » 10 Oct 2018 16:17

RoyalSwine90 On this day in 2011, having played terribly for 70 mins and to be 2-0 down, yet end up leaving with all 3 points was truly spectacular!

And extremely lucky....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14982512

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 10 Oct 2018 19:12

stealthpapes Asaba was still playing for Sheffield United in 02-03, think he scored in the early kickoff* when we went to Portsmouth, they scored three and I ate a three quarter pounder burger outside the ground.

Yes. And I'd completely forgotten about the John Mackie incident which happened that season:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ory.sport6

413 posts