Hob Nob Addict

BFTG Leeds

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2018 22:04

Gutting result, 9 of those players put an absolute shift in today

Jaakkola - 7 Couple of decent saves, unlucky with the goal

Yiadom - 8 Reverted back to his early season form, much improved
Ilori - 8 See above
Moore - 8 Solid
Gunter - 6 Started off really poorly, but got into it and put in a couple of decent balls. Should have given away a penalty, what on earth was he thinking of punching the ball while it was on the pitch

Bacuna 8 - couple of braindead Bacuna moments but absolute class at times
Rinomhota 9 - best midfield performance of the season, absolute class
Kelly 8 - also very good, reverted back to old form Kelly
Swift 3 - atrocious, absolutely atrocious, one decent flick aside to Kelly was hopeless, really disappointed and wouldn't be upset not to see him in a Reading shirt again

Loader - 7 Started really well but tired, very promising though and should keep his place
Meite 3 - Woeful, heavy touches and contributed nothing. Would still have kept him on though to go more direct

Subs : McCleary 6 - decent moments
Sims 5 - I thought he was really poor when he came on but ultimately he created the penalty so deserves another shot
McNulty 5 - decent run and was unlucky not to get there. Seen worse pens, not going to criticize, he is simply a lower league striker

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Leeds

by Hound » 27 Nov 2018 22:08

Wouldn’t argue with that lot really

Really liked Bacuna and Rino in the middle. If Rino can keep that level he has a great future ahead of him. Absolutely superb

Would add that I thought PC got everything about right tonight. Good brave subs, got the selection right, despite Meite and Swift disappointing

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Nov 2018 22:09

Hound Wouldn’t argue with that lot really

Really liked Bacuna and Rino in the middle. If Rino can keep that level he has a great future ahead of him. Absolutely superb

Agreed except that I thought Sims did well

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 27 Nov 2018 22:12

Jaakkola - 7 some good saves

Yiadom - 7 got forward well
Illori - 7 solid
Moore - 7 solid
Gunter - 4 so poor

Bacuna - 7 good
Rinomhota - 8 MOTM
Kelly - 6 average
Swift - 4 lost possession countless times, can't defend

Loader - 7 gave us something different
Meite - 5 invisible. Doesn't look fit

Subs:
McCleary - 7 has to start
Sims - 6 was a pen
McNulty - 0

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Nov 2018 22:19

Hound Wouldn’t argue with that lot really

Would add that I thought PC got everything about right tonight. Good brave subs, got the selection right, despite Meite and Swift disappointing

Agreed except I wouldn't criticise Meite given we know he's carrying an ankle knock and was always going to be isolated. I wasn't quite as keen on Yiadom either but not by a lot.

Good post URZZZZ

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 27 Nov 2018 22:23

Thought Dave Edwards was class, tbf.

Interesting how much praise there was from neutrals for Reading, Clement's tactics and substitutions, and a spot-on analysis of just why things went wrong under Stam.

Really good game for a neutral. Any saved penalty is a mix of good save and could-have-been-better shot, but it was mostly great save.

We'll play worse and win.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Nov 2018 22:26

Armadillo Roadkill Thought Dave Edwards was class, tbf.

Interesting how much praise there was from neutrals for Reading, Clement's tactics and substitutions, and a spot-on analysis of just why things went wrong under Stam.

Really good game for a neutral. Any saved penalty is a mix of good save and could-have-been-better shot, but it was mostly great save.

+1

But we really do need to start putting away a few wins. We’ve shown we have the quality at times - now need to get on a run

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Nov 2018 22:29

Hound
Armadillo Roadkill Thought Dave Edwards was class, tbf.

+1

But we really do need to start putting away a few wins. We’ve shown we have the quality at times - now need to get on a run

The problem is Meite is playing with an injury. Our other leading scorers are both injured. Our other senior striker will have zero confidence after tonight. Step forward Danny boy.

Soul Man

by Soul Man » 27 Nov 2018 22:29

No problem with the way we played tonight there are a lot of positives to take away from this game hope we stick wth manager he will take us forward given the chance

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 27 Nov 2018 22:37

While he didn't have a good game, some really low ratings for Swift there.

Even out of form he is the best creator we have, so I can't see him being dropped in the immediate future. It should be accepted he is a luxury player who will give the ball away while attempting to create chances, and offer low defensive activity. He is likely to look worse against a team that will offer us limited possession - it looks like we had just under 35% today - as he will surrender (rare) possession cheaply and we have to defend more, with his limited defensive skillet therefore exposed.

Who else do we have who could play that role?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Nov 2018 22:43

Brain Traysers While he didn't have a good game, some really low ratings for Swift there.

Even out of form he is the best creator we have, so I can't see him being dropped in the immediate future. It should be accepted he is a luxury player who will give the ball away while attempting to create chances, and offer low defensive activity. He is likely to look worse against a team that will offer us limited possession - it looks like we had just under 35% today - as he will surrender (rare) possession cheaply and we have to defend more, with his limited defensive skillet therefore exposed.

Sorry but I disagree, he didn't create one thing today. It's not just the fact he gives the ball away, it's the fact he just watches and never tries to win it back after he's lost ut

Considering we were playing 4-3-2-1 with Swift on the left side, I'd rather McCleary play there, he works well with Gunter, so will help him out more and he may actually play the ball to his own team occasionally. Summed it up after about 55 minutes when we were on the break 3 against 3 and he did an atrocious touch straight into the defender which IIRC nearly resulted in a goal for them

After a few decent games earlier in the season, he has really disappointed again the last few games and I would be very surprised and annoyed if he is in the 11 against Stoke, particularly against a strong physical Rowett side most probably

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Nov 2018 22:51

URZZZZ
Brain Traysers While he didn't have a good game, some really low ratings for Swift there.

Sorry but I disagree, he didn't create one thing today. It's not just the fact he gives the ball away, it's the fact he just watches and never tries to win it back after he's lost ut

Considering we were playing 4-3-2-1 with Swift on the left side, I'd rather McCleary play there, he works well with Gunter, so will help him out more and he may actually play the ball to his own team occasionally. Summed it up after about 55 minutes when we were on the break 3 against 3 and he did an atrocious touch straight into the defender which IIRC nearly resulted in a goal for them

After a few decent games earlier in the season, he has really disappointed again the last few games and I would be very surprised and annoyed if he is in the 11 against Stoke, particularly against a strong physical Rowett side most probably

I’m afraid I have to agree. Have always rated Swift but sick of lack of work rate. We are in a relegation battle and struggling to pick up points. We absolutely cannot afford half hearted players in the side.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 27 Nov 2018 23:04

Zip
URZZZZ

I’m afraid I have to agree. Have always rated Swift but sick of lack of work rate. We are in a relegation battle and struggling to pick up points. We absolutely cannot afford half hearted players in the side.

Yet at the same time, we cant afford to drop a creative outlet and reduce our goal threat? That's the frustrating thing about his sort of player - when it isn't going well they stand out as poor (or disinterested / playing with 10 etc), but when it is going well they are usually at the heart of it (see criticism of Ozil too). My point was in games like this, the former is more likely as possession will be rare.

I agree with the suggestion that if Clement was to drop him it would have to be for a player playing a different role - McCleary playing a more genuine wide role could be exactly that (and offer better support to the full back). Dropping him and playing 3 CMs of Bacuna, Rinomhota and Kelly would however be ineffective going forward IMO.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 27 Nov 2018 23:13

Where to start with that.

Turned up at Elland Road not expecting much and expecting to be blown away by a high-tempo Leeds team - and we weren't.

Didn't think they really posed a threat in the first half, their dive in the box was embarrassing, Roofe was arguably the danger but thought we handled him. Second half pressure told, they got their goal. We then got our golden chance to equalise but for some reason Bacuna didn't square it to Loader, we then got another golden chance with the penalty, can't blame McNulty imho - had the balls to step up, hit it well, was a good save. The away end (all 50 of us anyway) would have gone crazy. But that's football, was a massive blow.

Few players to pick out:

Rinomhota - this kid looks like he has a huge future ahead of him, I was impressed with him at Wigan and tonight again he looked top drawer. SO confident on the ball, turn of pace, range of passing and not afraid of putting a tackle in. Is he the answer to the hole Danny Williams left in the middle of the park?

Loader - great to see him start, fair play to Clement showing faith in him in a game of this magnitude too. Looks quick and skillful and will continue to get better. Has to start again Saturday

Jaakola -our #1 keeper, put that argument to bed

Illori - Played well, think him and Moore are our best partnership if Clement wants us playing out from the back, he's very comfortable on the ball and is putting in more tackles than he used to

Kelly - thought he looked out of sorts again, running out of patience with him. Don't think him or Swift deserve to start at weekend.

Gunter - why did Blackett get dropped tonight, I thought we got to a point where we knew we needed a left back at left back and a right back at right back. Leeds doubled up on him, don't think he blocked one cross, I don't like jumping on the Gunter bandwagon but tonight he fustrated me a lot and it was very harsh on Blackett not to start

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Nov 2018 23:37

hughsies no.1 Where to start with that.

Turned up at Elland Road not expecting much and expecting to be blown away by a high-tempo Leeds team - and we weren't.

Didn't think they really posed a threat in the first half, their dive in the box was embarrassing, Roofe was arguably the danger but thought we handled him. Second half pressure told, they got their goal. We then got our golden chance to equalise but for some reason Bacuna didn't square it to Loader, we then got another golden chance with the penalty, can't blame McNulty imho - had the balls to step up, hit it well, was a good save. The away end (all 50 of us anyway) would have gone crazy. But that's football, was a massive blow.

Few players to pick out:

Rinomhota - this kid looks like he has a huge future ahead of him, I was impressed with him at Wigan and tonight again he looked top drawer. SO confident on the ball, turn of pace, range of passing and not afraid of putting a tackle in. Is he the answer to the hole Danny Williams left in the middle of the park?

Loader - great to see him start, fair play to Clement showing faith in him in a game of this magnitude too. Looks quick and skillful and will continue to get better. Has to start again Saturday

Illori - Played well, think him and Moore are our best partnership if Clement wants us playing out from the back, he's very comfortable on the ball and is putting in more tackles than he used to

Kelly - thought he looked out of sorts again, running out of patience with him. Don't think him or Swift deserve to start at weekend.

Gunter - why did Blackett get dropped tonight, I thought we got to a point where we knew we needed a left back at left back and a right back at right back. Leeds doubled up on him, don't think he blocked one cross, I don't like jumping on the Gunter bandwagon but tonight he fustrated me a lot and it was very harsh on Blackett not to start

All fair points. Swift really stuck out as the weakest player tonight. He either dwelt too long or overran the ball on several occasions.

Possibly a tad harsh on Kelly who was tidyish in possession although did give the ball away unnecessarily a few times.

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 27 Nov 2018 23:59

leon

Few players to pick out:

All fair points. Swift really stuck out as the weakest player tonight. He either dwelt too long or overran the ball on several occasions.

Possibly a tad harsh on Kelly who was tidyish in possession although did give the ball away unnecessarily a few times.

I think this is really harsh on Kelly tbh.

I'm getting a little tired of reading BFTG posts where the reviews are literally just rants about players they don't like. It's like if a player they didn't like did 9 great things in a game and 1 awful thing you could get a review as if the latter is all the player did.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Nov 2018 00:09

Where's Seth? Thought he "wasn't going to stand criticism of Swift".

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 28 Nov 2018 00:09

Ranty McRantface
leon

Few players to pick out:

I think this is really harsh on Kelly tbh.

I'm getting a little tired of reading BFTG posts where the reviews are literally just rants about players they don't like. It's like if a player they didn't like did 9 great things in a game and 1 awful thing you could get a review as if the latter is all the player did.

Has nothing to do with not liking him, how can you not like an academy product and only wish him well. Watching the game tonight I thought it passed him and Swift by, Bacuna and Rinomhota were running our midfield, Kelly and Swift were there to pick a pass, something I felt they both struggled to do tonight and was no surprise that Clement subbed the both of them...

biff

by biff » 28 Nov 2018 00:45

Rinomhota played the Danny Williams role better than Danny Williams tonight. Super fit, covered acres.

Gunter didnt stop a cross, Swift didnt do a lot, Meite is shite at football but good at finishing, everyone else was pretty good. apart from McNulty. Shameful really. lottery or not, a self proclaimed goalscorer should be putting it high into the corners.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Nov 2018 02:47

At least the y26 Ultras got a result off the pitch...small consolation!

155 posts