Old Man Andrews
Hound It was a little lame tbf OMA

That is doubtless the case.

I liked it.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Focher » 24 Dec 2018 10:36

Longest he's lasted at a club in 13 years in management is 56 games with an excellent win ratio of 37%.

I hope Howe knows something we don't.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 24 Dec 2018 10:52

The Club needed a complete clearout, it's getting one now. I imagine the owners are as pissed off as we all are at the way it's been run.

The squad is bloated, unbalanced and full of journeymen, the new manager wants a small squad plus using the U23's which is how we should have been for years.
The training and fitness regimes have been an issue for a long time, we injure too many in training and anyone can see we cannot compete in the second half of games anymore, simply not fit enough, that may hopefully change now with a new backroom staff in place.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Dec 2018 10:55

Zip Why do we need another 31 points to stay up? We survived with 46 points last season and that number looks likely to be enough this time around.

Safety net. We only survived on the last day of the season. Wigan are 19th and already have 25 points. 46 points suggests we'll be in the bottom 5 at the the very least. Fixture list isn't kind either this season.

Nor will sacking Clement make any sense. If performances don't improve. Another year wasted going nowhere. While teams around us improve.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2018 11:03

agreed 72Bus. Though I also suspect Gomes will want to bring some players over.

The number of injuries is a massive issue. And even more so the time coming back from them. Meite, who was on fire, has been injured for weeks now with a twisted ankle - its not good enough. Ilori and Moore - apparently minor injuries, but no sign of them. Obita - no idea what is going on there. Bod seemingly playing with a knackered back for a couple of weeks before it was picked up on. McCleary - took them months to realise his ankle needed surgery. Constant minor injuries for Baldock and even Gunter etc etc

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 11:08

Hound agreed 72Bus. Though I also suspect Gomes will want to bring some players over.

The number of injuries is a massive issue. And even more so the time coming back from them. Meite, who was on fire, has been injured for weeks now with a twisted ankle - its not good enough. Ilori and Moore - apparently minor injuries, but no sign of them. Obita - no idea what is going on there. Bod seemingly playing with a knackered back for a couple of weeks before it was picked up on. McCleary - took them months to realise his ankle needed surgery. Constant minor injuries for Baldock and even Gunter etc etc

Obita is in serious danger of not coming back if you believe the fellas who run the chryo chamber at Bracknell Town, he's been there a lot as part of his recovery. His Mrs denied that to a fan on Twitter though so depends what you want to believe. He can run on it but its the tackling jumping thats the issue. 2nd hand info though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2018 11:11

think reading between the lines thats certainly a possibility. Very much doubt we'll see him this year. Such a shame for him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Dec 2018 11:18

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh
Old Man Andrews
Was excellent at Charlton as a player so hopefully will be a good appointment.

That was Clive Mendonca.

I know it was, I was being humerous. Maybe I should add some sort of klaxon to all my jokes to avoid confusion.

Maybe just start with some humour. :wink:

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 24 Dec 2018 11:44

Old Man Andrews
Snowball
3points Concerned about the comments in his interview about the Premier League and “project”. I just hope he realises how big a job this currently is.

The whole possession based football thing also worries me. From the last four or five seasons promoted clubs I’d categorise about a third as being possession based, namely
Wolves
Fulham
Bournemouth
Huddersfield

It really isn’t a slam dunk formula for promotion. I’d say 2 or 3 were pretty direct and the rest just played good fast paced football with a couple of stars and key goal scorers. We don’t have either of those things.

Not disputing your list of teams but the way they played was nothing like Stam's Reading

Fulham and Bournemouth were EXCITING, fast, incisive.

Frankly I can't remember Wolves or Huddersfield but I would never have thought them BORING

I HATED watching Stam's Reading, even when we won

Agreed. We did well in that season because we bored teams into submission, we just frustrated the opposition to the point where they would dive in to tackles and leave space for Danny Williams to drive forward. Every single game was a the same and Stam got completely found out in the 2nd season when he tried that shit again. He also got found out in the play off final, that was our big chance and we completely blew it.

Football is about entertainment and value for money, I would rather play moderately exciting football and finish midtable each season than finishing 3rd and playing the worlds dullest football.

Christ, what's going on, I totally agree with you OMA, you been on the sherry early?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2018 11:47

agree also with OMA. What Stam also had were two excellent wingers who scored goals in the first half of the season, and a striker who hit a ridiculously good patch in the second half of the year.

I just don't think teams knew what to do with us in Year 1. By the second they were right onto us

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 24 Dec 2018 12:08

Hound think reading between the lines thats certainly a possibility. Very much doubt we'll see him this year. Such a shame for him

In the next seven days?

Highly unlikely

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Dec 2018 12:09

Gunny Fishcake
Old Man Andrews
Snowball
Not disputing your list of teams but the way they played was nothing like Stam's Reading

Fulham and Bournemouth were EXCITING, fast, incisive.

Frankly I can't remember Wolves or Huddersfield but I would never have thought them BORING

I HATED watching Stam's Reading, even when we won

Agreed. We did well in that season because we bored teams into submission, we just frustrated the opposition to the point where they would dive in to tackles and leave space for Danny Williams to drive forward. Every single game was a the same and Stam got completely found out in the 2nd season when he tried that shit again. He also got found out in the play off final, that was our big chance and we completely blew it.

Football is about entertainment and value for money, I would rather play moderately exciting football and finish midtable each season than finishing 3rd and playing the worlds dullest football.

Christ, what's going on, I totally agree with you OMA, you been on the sherry early?

Everyone is allowed to agree with me once a year. It's the rule.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 24 Dec 2018 13:16

Hendo
Mendonca received funding from the Professional Footballers' Association to train to become an oil-rig worker.

Interesting move after football.

Strikes me as being a bit crude...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Dec 2018 13:33

Muskrat
Hendo
Mendonca received funding from the Professional Footballers' Association to train to become an oil-rig worker.

He was just going with the flow

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Dec 2018 13:57

Uke
Hound think reading between the lines thats certainly a possibility. Very much doubt we'll see him this year. Such a shame for him

In the next seven days?

Highly unlikely

This the thread of the sh!t joke? Certainly seems that way

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Dec 2018 14:09

Hound agree also with OMA. What Stam also had were two excellent wingers who scored goals in the first half of the season, and a striker who hit a ridiculously good patch in the second half of the year.

I just don't think teams knew what to do with us in Year 1. By the second they were right onto us

Agreed with this. We had an outlet down the wings, a decent striker who could lead the line and a box to box midfielder with a bit of fight who could run all day.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 24 Dec 2018 17:48

From Despair To Where?
Hound agree also with OMA. What Stam also had were two excellent wingers who scored goals in the first half of the season, and a striker who hit a ridiculously good patch in the second half of the year.

Agreed with this. We had an outlet down the wings, a decent striker who could lead the line and a box to box midfielder with a bit of fight who could run all day.

And a centre back that was also in brilliant form, with a decent keeper behind them. Very good core to the team

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Dec 2018 18:25

Snowball
Muskrat
Hendo

He was just going with the flow

Always though he was a slippery customer..

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 24 Dec 2018 18:49

Before anyone else makes lazy comparisons to Stam there isn’t just one type of possession style, there are many types. If you genuinely think Guardiola and Stam have exactly the same tactics just because they like their teams keeping possession I have no hope for you.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 24 Dec 2018 18:52

TiagoIlori Before anyone else makes lazy comparisons to Stam there isn’t just one type of possession style, there are many types. If you genuinely think Guardiola and Stam have exactly the same tactics just because they like their teams keeping possession I have no hope for you.

<right click>. Save.

313 posts