CONFIMRED José Gomes

313 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Millsy » 31 Dec 2018 14:23

leon
windermereROYAL Early days yes, but what a breath of fresh air this guys appears to be...

“I don't care about their age or nationality or colour of skin - for me they are all my players - like my sons”
From Jose Gomes @ReadingFC manager

All our previous managers were ageist racists?

Yeah, exactly this.

I found what he said about nationality and skin colour cute, but also a bit unnecessary and odd in 2018. Perhaps in Portugal these things are more of an issue.

But the bit about them all being his players and like his sons, that's cool. He comes across as a nice chap who I'm sure the players will like playing for.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2018 14:50

2 world wars, 1 world cup
leon
windermereROYAL Early days yes, but what a breath of fresh air this guys appears to be...

“I don't care about their age or nationality or colour of skin - for me they are all my players - like my sons”
From Jose Gomes @ReadingFC manager

Yeah, exactly this.

I found what he said about nationality and skin colour cute, but also a bit unnecessary and odd in 2018. Perhaps in Portugal these things are more of an issue.

But the bit about them all being his players and like his sons, that's cool. He comes across as a nice chap who I'm sure the players will like playing for.

Aren't managers often accused of failing because they're being too friendly with players and not hard enough?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Dec 2018 15:01

No, I don’t think so.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2018 15:31

Certainly seen that accusation for Coppell's last season or two, McDermott's PL season and Stam.

Not to mention that plenty of people were calling for a ball buster to take over from Clement and kick the players into shape.

I'm just seeing some double standards where people are using things to be positive about Gomes that could and often would be criticisms of previous failing managers

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 31 Dec 2018 15:54

Snowflake Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
leon

Yeah, exactly this.

Aren't managers often accused of failing because they're being too friendly with players and not hard enough?

Possibly but Gomes is talking father son rather than mate mate, so not sure about the point.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2018 16:02

Snowflake Royal Not to mention that plenty of people were calling for a ball buster to take over from Clement and kick the players into shape.
I'm just seeing some double standards where people are using things to be positive about Gomes that could and often would be criticisms of previous failing managers

I wanted Bruce. Doesn't mean I won't now try to be positive re. Gomes. Why wouldn't I? There's nothing I can do about it anyway. What's done is done. Nobody in here fired Clement, and nobody hired Gomes. It is what it is. If there are any double standards, it wouldn't be the first time in here.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 31 Dec 2018 16:28

Snowflake Royal Certainly seen that accusation for Coppell's last season or two, McDermott's PL season and Stam.

Coppell and McDermott were accused of being too loyal towards players who maybe ought to have been replaced, but that's not the same thing as being too friendly with the players.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 31 Dec 2018 16:35

tmesis
Snowflake Royal Certainly seen that accusation for Coppell's last season or two, McDermott's PL season and Stam.

Coppell and McDermott were accused of being too loyal towards players who maybe ought to have been replaced, but that's not the same thing as being too friendly with the players.

Teams evolve over time and likewise wane. Finding replacements isn't easy. Shame that Stam had little interest in the product of our academy. Seeming them technically inadequate. Which is undoubtedly why Cooper was shifted on. When he could still be here doing a perfectly adequate job.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2018 16:56

Er, back to Gomes...

Hoping he improves our set plays. At corners, both Off and Def. For too long, when we put a corner over, its basically a pass to the opposition. On Def, I think opposing teams make it a point of emphasis to win more corners because they know we're vulnerable to them. For our part, lets try to minimize the number of corners we give away. Would like to see us winning more pens. Want to see Swift putting his free kicks on frame and making the keepers save them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 Dec 2018 17:28

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Not to mention that plenty of people were calling for a ball buster to take over from Clement and kick the players into shape.

I wanted Bruce. Doesn't mean I won't now try to be positive re. Gomes. Why wouldn't I? There's nothing I can do about it anyway. What's done is done. Nobody in here fired Clement, and nobody hired Gomes. It is what it is. If there are any double standards, it wouldn't be the first time in here.

I think you're missing my point. It's not about being positive or not, it was about finding things positive, that would/could be considered negative for a manager who isn't new.

K9hassel

by K9hassel » 31 Dec 2018 18:19

I haven't seen it anywhere else, but do we know who the three new coaches are? Seen several new faces doing warm ups pre match.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 31 Dec 2018 18:22

K9hassel I haven't seen it anywhere else, but do we know who the three new coaches are? Seen several new faces doing warm ups pre match.

Official website, was announced at exactly the same time as Gomes being announced. How do you miss seeing vital information like this??

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Dec 2018 18:30

Always looking to score a point. Tiresome.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 31 Dec 2018 18:35

Some grim stats, and another of Gomes' challenges: We're ranked bottom, dead last, in the Champ for shots against (Leeds comparison). Presumably this will change if we have more possession(?)

Total shots faced--- Total on target--- Avg shots per game-- Avg on target per game
Reading--- 395---- 137---- 15.80--- 5.48
Leeds----- 238------ 74--- -- 9.52------ 2.96

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Jan 2019 12:36

Royal Rother Always looking to score a point. Tiresome.

Yeah, isn’t just.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jan 2019 16:38

Old Man Andrews .

Old Man Andrews, on 26th Jan we go to Bolton after a trio of almost impossible games. Supposing we lose all four of those, does Jose Gomes become Frank de Boer mk. II and does he go?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jan 2019 16:46

John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Old Man Andrews, on 26th Jan we go to Bolton after a trio of almost impossible games. Supposing we lose all four of those, does Jose Gomes become Frank de Boer mk. II and does he go?

No we have to see it through with him until the end of the season now, we have put all our faith in him and in all honesty if we lose the next 4 games we are probably all but down anyway.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jan 2019 21:24

John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Perhaps other results will go our way. With a (nearly) fully fit squad the tide might turn a little. Clement wasn't helped by availability.
Last edited by Lower West on 04 Jan 2019 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jan 2019 21:25

Lower West
John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Perhaps other results will go our way.

Other results can't give us the 5 points needed to get out of the relegation zone......

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jan 2019 23:34

5 points between now and April seems like a tall order right now.

313 posts