BFTG United (A)

202 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG United (A)

by Denver Royal » 05 Jan 2019 18:49

Lower West Must have been a long time since we've had three naturally left footed players on the pitch at the same time. Aluko, Richards and Harriott. We looked far better balanced today as a unit. Wonder if this was a contributing factor.

Yep, balance is huge in footy. (Hate it when we play a right-footed player at LB, for example). Wish all 3 were a bit taller, but there ya go.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 18:51

LW

Maybe, but it is up to the team and management to retain that performance and start that upward trajectory that we have been hungering for, far too long.

I have confidence that Jose will be sorting the wheat from the chaff.....and geting the best from some of our recent p.a.n.t.s suspects
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 05 Jan 2019 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 05 Jan 2019 18:51

SCIAG
2 world wars, 1 world cup 1) Penalty: I don't fully get to be honest... if we foul whilst they are fouling does it count? Like, for the pass just before Lukaku was in an offside position and the pass itself was offside as the foul came in... my head is hurting. But yeah they deserved the pen and the goal anyway.

What matters is which offence is committed first. As far as I can tell, the foul was committed before Fred touched the ball, so it is a penalty. A "pass" cannot be offside, only a player. It's not an offence to pass to someone in an offside position, it's an offence to interfere with play, interfere with an opponent, or gain an advantage having been in an offside position when a team mate was the last person to play the ball.

Sequence of events was like this:

1) Ball comes into Mata. Lukaku is in an offside position, but isn't interfering with play or an opponent so hasn't committed an offence.
2) Mata plays a pass to Fred, who is in an offside position.
3) Richards trips Mata. Foul.
4) Fred controls the ball and scores.

As Fred was offside, it is correct to disallow the goal. This means that there is no advantage following the foul, which happened before Fred interfered with play in an offside position. That means that it is a penalty.

Both decisions correct, and pretty much only possible due to VAR.

I broadly agree with this.

However, I overheard someone discussing about whether Lukaku was interfering from Richards as he fouled Mata. To me, it looks like he brushes Richards' arm just before he slides in.

That would mean that Lukaku is offside as Mata plays the pass, and interferes by affecting Richards' challenge. Therefore, an offside offence takes place before the foul by Richards.

I must admit I don't know the minutiae of the laws of the game well enough to know how much this analysis holds true. TBH I would've given a pen had I been the VAR.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2019 18:52

Good effort against a lacklustre Utd who never got out of 2nd gear. Everyone upped their game as you'd expect.

Utd pressed us highish without the necessary intensity for the first 5ish minutes and we coped well, but they soon realised we were no threat and let us play our distinctive version of toothless error prone possession so they could comfortably pick us off on the break. Which they did just about adequately.

Jaakkola 7 not at fault for any goals, the odd save and coped with possession ok
Yiadom 7 did ok, particularly moving to CB! And even had probably our best shot.
Richards 6 played ok but dived in for the penalty and never gives huge confidence in defence.
Moore 6 fine, usual couple of blocks and saving tackles. I feel he could have done more to cover the goal behind Jaakkola fot Lukaku's
Ilori 6 oozes quality for most the game and then tries to stopover a ball never going to reach his keeper then kick it at him. Also step up half an hour too late to let Lukaku go 1on1.
Rino 8 MotM same as ever from Rino, simple,combative, effective
Kelly 7 Busy, kept the ball moving showed for it more than anyone on the pitch, got stuck in too
Swift 6 The epitome of style over substance, best game of the season, but still produced more end product for Utd than Reading
Harriott 6 He's really positive but didn't have enough quality
McCleary 6 can't find that end product
Loader 6 tried hard but out of his depth. Needs to go for it and be less timid

Aluko 7 surprisingly good, no. 10 suits him much better than winger
Barrow 6 higher tempo than usual but didn't get much of a sniff
Meite 6 little chance to make an impact.

Gomes 7 good set up and team choice, but always way too much to do.

Thought Kelly and Rino worked really well together. Think Eza probably better choice than Kelly still, but that could be a quality midfield with the right team around them.

Fair result, but I see nothing to suggest improved results in the league. Champ teams won't give us as much time and space. We were still full of errors and we were still toothless.

Maybe with more players back and some signings.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 05 Jan 2019 18:54

leon From what I saw on a schonky stream Utd sat back, we passed crisply but were untroubled, gave the ball away too easily in the attacking third and didn’t have a striker working the box.

Really needed Bod in there.

Need a large, dirty striker. Madine from Cardiff on loan would work but it looks like he’s going to Sheffield Utd.

oxf*rd clueless. This is why I should really avoid this website. We’re attempting to play fast intricate passing on the deck and the guy says we ought to sign a 6’4” brute who, other than 2 ok seasons at Bolton, is only really known for assault charges. Wow.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 05 Jan 2019 18:59

2 world wars, 1 world cup I'm shocked.

WOW. Lost to a penalty and VAR, and to a very good goal, with better possession, more passes against one of the best teams in the country who were at home and in form. WOW.

I'm not going to single out players though, because today we played as a team and individual performances almost don't matter.

Very impressed with the whole team, with Gomes, with the spirit, the tenacity, the fight. This can really spur them on!!

WELL DONE READING!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

---
Possible talking points:

1) Penalty: I don't fully get to be honest... if we foul whilst they are fouling does it count? Like, for the pass just before Lukaku was in an offside position and the pass itself was offside as the foul came in... my head is hurting. But yeah they deserved the pen and the goal anyway.

2) Harriott. 'New signing'. As impressive today as he was last game and also before his injury. Keep him at all costs. If he stays fit he will be vital for us. Young, hungry and very impressive!

3) Loader. He's only young, but very promising with his movement and his pace. BUT WE NEED A STRIKER (or three). Anyone remember Roberts changing our fortunes overnight?

4) WE NEED A LEFT BACK. I'm shocked that since I started a new thread on this years ago we STILL DONT HAVE ONE. Anyone remember how simply getting a (relatively) good left back (Robinson for Gurney) Pardew's pants team was changed overnight? Obita was turned into one and tbf he is a good one, but he's not around. RIchards is currently even more of a liability than Blackett is/was (2 Swansea goals and today penalty and AWOL for their second) and hopefully needs more time.

So please Gomes... CB, LB, Striker +/- Keeper.

Yep, agree with pretty much all of this ^

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 05 Jan 2019 19:02

I thought we did really well today and for the first time for a very long time I was very proud of my team today. What we lacked in skill we certainly made up for in endeavour and spirit. Hopefully a great performance to kick on for the remainder of the season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 19:04

Gunny Fishcake I thought we did really well today and for the first time for a very long time I was very PROID OF MY TEAM today. What we lacked in skill we certainly made up for in endeavour and spirit.
this^

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Jan 2019 19:05

TBH pretty sick to death of people say united didn`t need to get out of 2nd gear. looked to me like they were trying all over the pitch. what actually defines 2nd gear?
Reading play well and posters try to downgrade the performance, we play badly and we get hammered. not entirely sure what we need to do.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 19:10

AthleticoSpizz LW

Maybe, but it is up to the team and management to retain that performance and start that upward trajectory that we have been hungering for, far too long.

I have confidence that Jose will be sorting the wheat from the chaff.....and geting the best from some of our recent p.a.n.t.s suspects

Perhaps a similar starting line up for Forest. Though Bacuna back in for Kelly to provide the midfield with a little more bite.

Swift looks far better playing in a no 10 role with the freedom to roam. Gomes seems to prefer him in this role.

Llori took a hefty fall from that Lukaku challenge. Hopefully nothing too serious. Though Blackett is back and available.

Meite perhaps in for Loader. Still a long way to go this season. Though Gomes did highlight Loader in his post match comments as having a good game. Half time stats did highlight him as having the best pass accuracy rate. Not bad for a no 9.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 19:11

AthleticoSpizz LW

Perhaps a similar starting line up for Forest. Though Bacuna back in for Kelly to provide the midfield with a little more bite.

Swift looks far better playing in a no 10 role with the freedom to roam. Gomes seems to prefer him in this role.

Llori took a hefty fall from that Lukaku challenge. Hopefully nothing too serious. Though Blackett is back and available.

Meite perhaps in for Loader. Still a long way to go this season. Though Gomes did highlight Loader in his post match comments as having a good game. Half time stats did highlight him as having the best pass accuracy rate. Not bad for a no 9.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jan 2019 19:21

windermereROYAL Reading play well and posters try to downgrade the performance, we play badly and we get hammered. not entirely sure what we need to do.

We passed the ball well at QPR. Had 67% possession in the game. :?

So many false starts now you never know which team will turn up at the next game. Totally inconsistant. Under pressure too many unforced errors and bad individual decisions. Easy to pump yourself up for a game at Old Trafford. Totally different on a Tuesday night up at Bolton when a win is essential. Then we'll see if Gomes has improved the players mettle.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Jan 2019 19:35

John Madejski's Wallet
leon
Old Man Andrews Yeah a tall, dirty target man who our wingers can aim at. Dont care about nice football, pass the ball from defence to wide midfield quickly and hit 45 degree diagonals to our strikers. Win knock downs. Try and score some goals.

Hard work, organisation and plenty of cynicism.

So Bod then.

Don't think Gomes likes the idea of a tall striker

Well I’d play Meite and Bod up front, tell them to smash up the defenders, really get fcuking stuck in and bust some heads, bang crosses in. Cause mayhem.

Why not? All this clever, clever pissing about with the ball is getting us nowhere fast. And we need results.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jan 2019 19:38

leon
John Madejski's Wallet
leon

So Bod then.

Well I’d play Meite and Bod up front, tell them to smash up the defenders, really get fcuking stuck in and bust some heads, bang crosses in. Cause mayhem.

Why not? All this clever, clever pissing about with the ball is getting us nowhere fast. And we need results.

I’m with you bro. We have to start scoring goals. Play two upfront please. Personally I would go with Bodvarsson and Loader.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Jan 2019 19:40

That’s a nice combo

JR

by JR » 05 Jan 2019 19:43

leon
John Madejski's Wallet
leon

So Bod then.

How can you right off a new style after just 3 league games?

This is the most attractive and attacking football we’ve played for at least 6 years and Jose’s made that change almost instantaneously.

It’s very impressive and needs to be stuck with to allow the training ground work to come off in the final third.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Jan 2019 19:49

JR
leon
John Madejski's Wallet So Bod then.

This is the most attractive and attacking football we’ve played for at least 6 years and Jose’s made that change almost instantaneously.

It’s very impressive and needs to be stuck with to allow the training ground work to come off in the final third.

I want to see 2 big fcukers bashing up defenders. We can play pretty stuff up to the final ball in and then carnage.

If we go down at least we’ll fcuk up a few people.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2019 19:58

I don’t think it makes the football any less attractive if you are trying to put a decent cross on the head of a strong CF at the end

Meite from around Millwall/Brizzle time would be perfect. Desperately hope he can rediscover this asap

We’re decent at working the balm out to the wingers - we need a target for them to aim at

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2019 20:02

windermereROYAL TBH pretty sick to death of people say united didn`t need to get out of 2nd gear. looked to me like they were trying all over the pitch. what actually defines 2nd gear?
Reading play well and posters try to downgrade the performance, we play badly and we get hammered. not entirely sure what we need to do.

Agreed. Loads of neutral expert pundits and OGS himself stated that we caused Utd plenty of problems. I think the claims that Utd were happy to sit back and let us come at them are nonsense. Too big a gamble even with our poor record in front of goal. We gave then a couple of real scares and I am sure OGS would have been far happier had they been pushing onto us more.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2019 20:04

JR
leon
John Madejski's Wallet So Bod then.

If we go down playing this style of football at least I will have been entertained and enjoyed watching decent football from us for the first time in a couple of years.

The post match interviews really suggested that the players are enjoying/liking the way that Gomes wants them to play football and a couple hinted that they had not been fans of Clement's approach.

202 posts