BFTG Derby (A)

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

BFTG Derby (A)

by Kitsondinho » 19 Jan 2019 18:32

We were awful for the first half an hour. We kept giving the ball away in and around our own box. Jaakkola seemed determined to try and make as many mistakes as possible! Derby could easily have had 5. However, after that we settled.

2nd half was totally different. Aluko came on amd changed the game. He was our best player, everything went through him and he dragged us back into the match. We could have equalised, but to be honest too often we are playing it across the front of Derby’s box. Gomes clearly made changes that improved the team.....but I’m not sure Bod needed to go off, when Loader came on. Would’ve been nice to see us play 2 up top. Overall we probably deserved to lose, as Derby were so wasteful....but we probably feel annoyed we missed out on a point.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

BFTL Derby

by Westwood52 » 19 Jan 2019 18:33

Even though I missed the opening ten minutes-when Ilori & Co went into brain fade-take it from me, that was awful.We get back from the game due to a Derby error( well done Ejari & Alukho)-then for the remains of the game when Derby are clearly knacked-we fail to construct anything by way of a threat.

IMHO:

Jakkola 5: Missed the first goal-second unfortunate, and one good save;but why does he persist with these short passes out-which time & time again, play us into trouble. When in doubt launch it-in the general direction of Bod & hope for a kinock down.
Rino: 5 Clearly not a FB, just hasnt got a cross in him-get him back into midfield-stupid experiment by Gomez.Could have done better on the 2nd.
Yiadom 5: At his agricultural worst-nothing going forward.
Ilori 4: Thinks hes at Real Madrid.
Moore 5: Not great.His chance of Prem has gone.
Baker 3: This was his chance to make his mark & he blew it. I had great hopes of him-will Gomez trust him again as a starter, probably not.
Bacuna 5: Typical Bacuna; but this week a lot more bad than good-needs Rino to cover him at CM.
Swift 4 : Next to nothing-particularly 1st half. Whisper it Alukho so much more incisive, when he came on.Missed a sitter
Ejari 6 : Made the goal, but clearly a luxury player, who will get better as he develops his game-but we just havnt got the time to wait.
Bod 4: Worked hard, but so slow to get on the end of things-just not a threat.
Barrow 7 : Showed some form & looked dangerous, maybe on the way back ?

Macca : Zilch, nada etc AGAIN !
Alukho : Needs to start in the hole , with Rino and Bacuna, behind him. Our best player today.
Loader : Its a ridiculous ask of him really.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Derby (A)

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Jan 2019 19:14

I really enjoyed the second half. Aluko definitely made a difference.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2019 19:17

Elm Park Kid I really enjoyed the second half. Aluko definitely made a difference.
that is genuinely nice to hear

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 19 Jan 2019 19:45

AthleticoSpizz
Elm Park Kid I really enjoyed the second half. Aluko definitely made a difference.
that is genuinely nice to hear

He was superb 2nd half.....drove the team on and changed the game. We saw 45 mins today of what he could have been producing for the past two years. Gomes is finally getting him to play somewhere near to the player we signed for such a fee and to a great fanfare!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Jan 2019 19:47

Excellent

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jan 2019 20:05

Bod was awful. Not sharpe, weak/slow from start vs small(ish) team. If more alert, could have got to and converted couple low crosses. Bread and butter game for many Champ strikers, but wasn’t at the races.
I realize footy is not Jak’s strength, but for a bloke that’s been playing this long he’s impossibly bad.
Ilori looked like his thoughts are elsewhere.
Wonder what Gomes could have done with h a full season, and last Summers window which was atrocious. Only one player from that window played today (Yiadom), and only one other player was even in the squad (Walker).

Ian1966

by Ian1966 » 19 Jan 2019 21:38

First 25 minutes or so we were so poor and so frustrating to watch. IIori just didnt seem interested, Baker seems to be a Jaap Stam type of player and we dont need anymore of them. Play Rinomhota in midfield because although he tried hard he isnt a full back and I would rather see him in midfield rather than Baker. Second half we looked a different side and that is the best I have seen Aluko play in a Reading shirt. I like the look of Ejaria and he look a real threat especially in the second half. Jaakkola scares the life out of me with the ball at his feet, Moving forward we need a full back, probably a goalkeeper, a centre-back although I would like to see Blackett partner Moore rather than Ilori and someone who is a goalscorer. I like Bodvarsson for all have energy and hard work, but he isnt a 15 let alone 20 goals a season player.
P.S. This is my first post

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 19 Jan 2019 21:42

First half hour, back to the shit show. No high press again, letting them play how they wanted and therefore take the consequences (why can’t they learn this?)
Illori was terrible, if his mind is on Sporting Lisbon, then f... off now.
Already said previously today, but Bod is two yards away from every finish. Le Fondre would have put away at least two of those crosses today without blinking.
The second half everyone was on their game, we dominated Derby, faster, incisive passes made it really exciting. just frustrating that we couldn’t get it in.
What’s the point in having a game plan where Rinomhota is waiting on the wing, unmarked in tons of space but no one ever passes to him?
Question is, why do they have to be told they’re playing shit and then step it up after a bollocking?
Don’t they want to play we’ll for 90 minutes?

Gomes is going to be a major success- he can see the problems and won’t put up with the old crap attitudes.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 19 Jan 2019 22:46

Pandoras Box Gomes is going to be a major success- he can see the problems and won’t put up with the old crap attitudes.

I genuinely wish and hope for this to be true but honestly? I just can't. ... :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jan 2019 23:16

It's giving him rather more power over the situation than he has that's for sure.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Jan 2019 01:15

So, another loss. 2 away wins in 27 league games. Just grateful that Rotherham, Ipswich and Bolton are joining us to make a quartet for worst championship teams in a while. Last year 23 points would have seen us bottom after 28 games, yes below Sunderland and Burton

But let's compare Reading, Rotherham, Ipswich and Bolton. No offence intended but out of those four teams, they include three teams with desperately low budgets/quality. One who couldn't afford a Forest Green player, one who's starting Will Keane and Freddie Sears and one who's pretty much kept the same team as they did when they got 23 points a couple of seasons ago

And then there's us. 7 million on Aluko, 1 million on Barrow, 4 million on Ilori, 3 million on Bodvarsson...Mannone, Bacuna, Swift, Moore. These teams would only dream of these calibre of players. Even Derby fans are surprised we're this low and praised how we played for the majority of today. But let's be honest, they only remember the fancy little flicks Swift occasionally pulls off, or the neat turn Aluko always does on the byline. They don't see what we do, Aluko, Barrow and co walking back the whole game, or our midfielders being constantly pulled out of position so they walk straight through it

What explains it? Jaap Stam for starters, forget the "we came 3rd argument". He alienated half the supporters with his ridiculous obsession with passing it for passing sake and then criticising anyone that dares not enjoy his "style" (if that's what you call it). Imagine him playing like that at Molineux, Elland road etc. Our support was never good, but it's shocking now. Attendances fell so badly because everyone fell out of love with football, there was no enjoyment to be gained to watching Moore and McShane playing table football with each other

But his arrogance passed onto the players IMO. You only have to look at their body language, the way they reacted after Stevenage last season after putting in one of the worst 90 minutes I've ever seen, the way Kelly said "we knew we weren't getting relegated"

Then we appointed Clement. I liked him after a dubious start but he wasn't the man to coach the arrogance out the squad, his personality and demeanour was too weak. Scraping two wins against Preston and QPR certainly wasn't a blueprint for the upcoming future. Blackett's red card vs Wednesday, the 4-0 Ipswich capitulation etc proved this. New season, new start..until Mannone threw it in his own goal and we've never looked forward since then and Clement was doomed from the off

Point is I just feel something has changed. They're sticking up for each other again, they're finally showing the trademark of a team. Yes, we've lost today but after a ropey 30 first minutes, we stuck together. Compare that to Wolves away last season or even Swansea a few games ago. We're still a long way away from what we want to do but the building blocks are there...this is why I'm hugely optimistic about our future if we can manage to survive this season

However to end on a negative, starting Rinomhota at RB was a disaster, miles out of his depth and we missed his energy in midfield. A simple Yiadom at RB, Richards/Gunter at LB and Rino in midfield instead of Baker would have sufficed. Let's hope he's learnt his lesson because we've got some massive games coming up

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 01:45

Yawn.
Without disagreeing, pretty sure 7 of the 8 paragraphs have been covered before?
This being a game day Derby match thread, and all.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 20 Jan 2019 02:57, edited 2 times in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2019 01:59

Denver Royal Yawn. Tbf, I suppose the 7th paragraph maybe offered something new. The 8th, a dozen people have already said. The rest of it, the sooner we all move on the better.

Not entirely sure your contribution was actually worth reading.

Tbf.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 20 Jan 2019 02:01

Said this on the match thread: team selection cost us the point. Having both Bacuna and Baker in midfield was completely ineffective. Night and day after the change for the second half.

Bod should’ve gotten to at least one of those crosses.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 02:04

leon
Denver Royal Yawn. Tbf, I suppose the 7th paragraph maybe offered something new. The 8th, a dozen people have already said. The rest of it, the sooner we all move on the better.

Tbf.

Nor yours, really?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jan 2019 02:14

Denver Royal
leon

Tbf.

Nor yours, really?

Or the above.

We literally could do this forever,

Anyway, how are you Denver Royal?

I hope you are in fine fettel?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 02:19

PremAddict Bod should’ve gotten to at least one of those crosses.

I thought that too? Barrow seemed peeved a couple times. But haven't heard too many others saying same, so there ya go.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 20 Jan 2019 02:25

leon
Denver Royal
leon Not entirely sure your contribution was actually worth reading.
Tbf.

Nor yours, really?

Or the above.

We literally could do this forever,

Anyway, how are you Denver Royal?

I hope you are in fine fettel?

Forever? Nah, life is short. Very short.
It's just opinion about footy. Well, hopefully footy.
Anyway, I'm doing good, thx for asking.
And you, are you still tending your allotment?
More importantly, how is your 9 year old boy?
Are you raising him to be just like his daddy? :wink:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Jan 2019 06:26

Denver Royal
PremAddict Bod should’ve gotten to at least one of those crosses.

I thought that too? Barrow seemed peeved a couple times. But haven't heard too many others saying same, so there ya go.

I like Bodvarsson but he lacks the killer instinct a very good striker needs, just isn't there. A top Championship striker will be getting on the end of those crosses all day long.