RIP Johnny Walker

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Duffy

RIP Johnny Walker

by Duffy » 24 Jan 2019 09:50

Sad news to report that sadly Johnny Walker has passed away.
If you’ve lived in Theale for any length of time you’d have known Johnny.
Johnny played football professionally for Reading Fc, making 287 appearances, as well as also playing for Wolves and Southampton before signing for Reading in 1957. He retired from football in 1967 and was still involved with the club as a reserve team coach up until 1979.
He was a regular at Elm Park and the Madjeski Stadium.
He has lived in Theale for many years and was heavily involved at the social club for a while.
RIP Johnny.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RIP Johnny Walker

by sandman » 24 Jan 2019 10:36

Sad news. Too young to have seen him play but met him several times when I sat in the upper west, nice guy. R.I.P.

Duffy

by Duffy » 24 Jan 2019 11:06

Official announcement from the club now.

https://twitter.com/ReadingFC/status/10 ... 4872370176

Blue Blood

by Blue Blood » 24 Jan 2019 13:56

Met him by chance one early evening in a pub in Theale. Charming man RIP

Duffy

by Duffy » 24 Jan 2019 14:10

One of those faces you recognise even if you didn't know he played for Reading.

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 24 Jan 2019 14:24

However old he might have been (close to 90?) this is very sad news and I send my deepest sympathy to his family. I remember Johnny playing for us in the late 50s and early 60s as part of that wonderful forward line: Wheeler, Whitehouse, Dixon, Walker, Harrison. Towards the end of his career with us he went back to wing-half and then back again to full-back. In contrast to some of the modern professionals he ALWAYS gave 100%. Thanks, Johnny, for many happy memories.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Jan 2019 14:44

I used to do a football pools collection round in Tilehurst and John's wife did a coupon every week (players were not allowed to do the pools) and I used to stop at their place (on Garston's Park-it was marriage second time round for John) for a chat, nearly always about football.
We left Tilehurst in 1971 and subsequently the only times I saw him were at the Mad Stad occasionally on matchdays when he was a sprightly man in his 80s who still had a keen eye for the ladies.

He was one of my favourite ever players and was a ball playing midfielder who dropped back to right-back in his later footballing years.
Older fans will remember his favourite shout to team mates of "steady" in his hard Scottish accent.
He is one of those along with Richie Bowman, Colin Meldrum, George Harris and Denis Allen and a few others where you thought "How on earth did Reading get such a good player as him?" when we were playing in the 3rd division.

As people know, he liked a drink but it never seemed to affect his performance on the pitch.
I remember one Friday night having a few in the Brock Barracks Social Club with my brother and his girl friend and John had even more-he staggered out at closing time and could barely walk.

The next day Reading had a 3-00 game at Elm Park-I had a hangover but John played and was man of the match and showed no signs at all of the previous night's session.

I am amazed that he made it to 90 so today I feel a bit sad but glad to have seen him play and to have known him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 24 Jan 2019 16:00

Victor Meldrew I used to do a football pools collection round in Tilehurst and John's wife did a coupon every week (players were not allowed to do the pools) and I used to stop at their place (on Garston's Park-it was marriage second time round for John) for a chat, nearly always about football.
We left Tilehurst in 1971 and subsequently the only times I saw him were at the Mad Stad occasionally on matchdays when he was a sprightly man in his 80s who still had a keen eye for the ladies.

He was one of my favourite ever players and was a ball playing midfielder who dropped back to right-back in his later footballing years.
Older fans will remember his favourite shout to team mates of "steady" in his hard Scottish accent.
He is one of those along with Richie Bowman, Colin Meldrum, George Harris and Denis Allen and a few others where you thought "How on earth did Reading get such a good player as him?" when we were playing in the 3rd division.

As people know, he liked a drink but it never seemed to affect his performance on the pitch.
I remember one Friday night having a few in the Brock Barracks Social Club with my brother and his girl friend and John had even more-he staggered out at closing time and could barely walk.

The next day Reading had a 3-00 game at Elm Park-I had a hangover but John played and was man of the match and showed no signs at all of the previous night's session.

I am amazed that he made it to 90 so today I feel a bit sad but glad to have seen him play and to have known him.

Nice stories.Thanks, Vic.

RIP

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Jan 2019 18:47

Victor Meldrew I used to do a football pools collection round in Tilehurst and John's wife did a coupon every week (players were not allowed to do the pools) and I used to stop at their place (on Garston's Park-it was marriage second time round for John) for a chat, nearly always about football.

Enjoyed reading that. RIP Johnny. I sit close to an 87 year old in the ED Stand. Lovely chap. We have to cherish our older fans and players

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 Jan 2019 20:45

Always very sad when club legends pass. Although just before my time, my two uncles always rated him very highly as one of the best players at the club. For that reason he got my nomination for entry into the STAR Hall of Fame for the 60s. RIP johnny.

Tazewell Royal

by Tazewell Royal » 24 Jan 2019 22:18

Really nice tribute Victor. I remember him fondly too and feel a bit sad. In our kick about as kids at Prospect Park we would imitate his shout of "Steady". He also (to my knowledge) initiated the 'Windmill' goal celebration; swinging his right arm round and round after scoring. In later years used by Mick Channon of Southampton and England. I often wondered if he copied JW, although I'm not sure if their paths would have crossed while at The Dell.

I also remember him getting on and off the Football Special, from Newbury to the MadStad, in Theale. All those (of a certain age) loved the guy, gave him a special cheer and there was always a bit of back slapping for him too. He just quietly grinned, took the seat that was always saved for him and chatted quietly with the regulars.

I wonder how many of today's players will be remembered by fans in the same way we remember those special players, from the "old" days?

Rest in Peace Johnny. God bless you.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 25 Jan 2019 05:13

I worked with him at Royal Mail for a while and he would tell me stories of his career. He was bitter towards Stan Cullis the great Wolves manager for letting him go he played at a very high level but wasn't considered good enough for that great Wolves team despite averaging a goal every other game. Loved his time at Reading from what he told me they used to train and spend the rest of the day in the pub.
There's a great picture of him leading the team out of the EP tunnel a true legend. RIP

elrey

by elrey » 25 Jan 2019 05:13

It's a shame he never met my granddad, his name was Jack Daniels, but wasn't from the Reading side of the family, lived up north. They could have gone out on the piss together.

Duffy

by Duffy » 25 Jan 2019 10:12

Victor Meldrew

Nice. Not the same thing at all but it reminded me of a match at Elm Park. I was in the Mansion House pre-match having a bite to eat and drink and on the table next to me was Martyn Booty having a meal with his family. I think he went for the full rack of ribs. It got to nearly 2pm and he left. I assumed he wasn't playing due to his pre-match meal choice and time getting on. Get to the ground, find out the team and he's starting. How times have changed......

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jan 2019 14:40

Quite rightly Johnny is to be honoured with a minutes applause before the Villa game

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/j ... s-weekend/

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1