MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Aston Villa (h) sponsored by not long to desperation

by John Smith » 01 Feb 2019 11:14

If the game is postponed and rearranged for a midweek, will it then be £10 a ticket for adults?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2019 11:17

they won't postpone. Big crowd, about 2cm of snow and min temps of no lower than 0c

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 01 Feb 2019 11:27

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Rino
Baker

Mccleary
Aluko
Barrow

Oliviera

Walker, Gunter, Kelly, Ejaria, Swift, Loader, Bod

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Feb 2019 11:53

Hound they won't postpone. Big crowd, about 2cm of snow and min temps of no lower than 0c

Edit: Club have pretty much confirmed there is no likelihood of it being postponed on the official

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Feb 2019 13:02

Hound
Hound they won't postpone. Big crowd, about 2cm of snow and min temps of no lower than 0c

Edit: Club have pretty much confirmed there is no likelihood of it being postponed on the official

Oh well. Another weekend ruined.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Feb 2019 14:51

Only thing that will postpone it is over night snow and that looks unlikely. They have had people out clearing all the paths etc so all good. Really looking forward to the game, reckon it will be a cracker.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Feb 2019 19:59

Arguably good time to look at Gomes' starting record after this game.

Clement had 20 games this season which breaks into 4 sets of 5
Marshall had 3, but you can argue that Gomes didn't really have enough time to have a proper impact until after QPR, so that would bring the caretaker period to 5, and this will be Gomes' 7th league game, so minus the first two, gives 5.

I'll probably post something up at some point after the match.

Six games is more conventional, but it doesn't break down as well with Clement's number in charge and the 'caretaker' period.

Villa result can make quite a difference. Win and it'll be a pretty decent start, draw and it's ok, lose and it's not very good... purely points wise.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Feb 2019 23:14

We can shoot breeze with this. Not sure comparison with Clement holds much useful purpose or relevance to me, at this time. Any more than any previous manager’s first few games, eg. Stam’s. The club made decisions and we are where we are. We can move on and be positive and supportive, or we can’t.

Be that as it may, and since you are doing this, my issue is lack of consistency. I say this because the author always seems to interject some personal and arbitrary stuff. In this case, the block of games, wiping out the first 2 games, ‘it could be argued this, and it could argued that’, etc.

So, as far as possible, let’s not try to argue anything. Why not start the comparison with Gomes’ 1st game, and Clements’ 1st game...LAST season. We can all insert our thoughts about this or that, but that seems to me to be a more fair and equitable way of doing it. It’s more a standard, otherwise we are all over the place.

They both inherited a relegation fight mid-season. It starts from their 1st game, period, with no variables or personal opinion and conjecture.

Let’s change the block of games (again) for the better. Clement had 8 games last season. In 2 games time, Gomes will have had 8 games. And he’ll then have approx two blocks of 8 left, to the end of the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2019 04:02

I can include a Clement's first x if you want.

I don't see it as very relevant though as different circumstances apply. This season is relevant, not last season IMO. Clement got sacked and Gomes appointed to improve performance... so surely the yardstick Gomes must stand up to is whether he achieves that?

Any role needs KPIs and recent form is ultimately the only one that matters in football. An objective measure is important.

Ignoring Gomes' first two games seems fair given the lack of time to influence things he had. And works in his benefit seeing as they were a draw and a defeat. Plus it's honouring snowball's suggestion of how to measure him initially back when he was appointed.

Eight games is arbitrary. 5/6 is the standard measure of recent form... generally six, but as I say 5 breaks down slightly better in these circumstances.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Feb 2019 04:21

Ok, wipe out Clements' first 2 games last season then.
Gomes' only remit right now is to keep us up. Sound familiar?
Clement did that, but then somehow had license to take us down the next season.
You better believe I wouldn't sanction that with Gomes.
I'm quite sure you'll do whatever you want to do. Different circumstances? Well, of course. They always are. The next manager will be, too. Nothing is exactly alike, and you can spin it accordingly. 'It seems this or that', etc. (to you)? Blah.
Despite you're claiming to be supportive, I somehow doubt you'd be as eager to run with this if Gomes had a better record right now. Will you continue to run with it if his record picks up? If not, you are surely by any reasoned and objective reckoning, pushing and clinging to an agenda, and nothing I'm going to say is going to change that. Have at it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2019 09:13

None of that makes a lick of sense. You're consistently clueless about my intention and opinion.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Feb 2019 11:02

Looking on Twitter it appears there is a movement to get that poor fella with cancer to walk the team out and have applause on the 10th minute. Really worried that in amongst the good intentions there are people who are just in it for themselves. Has anyone asked the bloke if he wants all this? Might just want to be left alone. Happy to show support in the 10th minute just don't know if it's what the bloke actually wants.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Feb 2019 12:18

Snowflake Royal Ignoring Gomes' first two games seems fair given the lack of time to influence things he had.

First game, the team selection with hindsight was highly questionable. Could have been set up far better. Tactically inept in some ways. As Millwall play to their strengths. No frills.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Feb 2019 14:17

Starting XIs

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore (c), Miazga, Rinomhota, Baker, Ejaria, Swift, Harriott, Oliveira.
Subs: Walker, Richards, Gunter, Aluko, McCleary, Barrow, Meïté.

Aston Villa: Kalinic, Taylor, Whelan, McGinn, Hourihane, Abraham, Hutton (c), El Ghazi, Elphick, Adomah, Mings.
Subs: Steer, Carroll, Jedinak, Davis, Kodjia, Elmohamady, Hause.

Blackett in at left back

Baker in in place of Bacuna

Harriott and Oliveira start

No Bod anywhere again

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Feb 2019 14:27

No Loader either

About right though - team is the one I would have gone for

Subs a little samey maybe, and would have liked to have seen Bod

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Feb 2019 14:31

Sutekh Starting XIs

Reading: Martínez, Yiadom, Blackett, Moore (c), Miazga, Rinomhota, Baker, Ejaria, Swift, Harriott, Oliveira.
Subs: Walker, Richards, Gunter, Aluko, McCleary, Barrow, Meïté.

Aston Villa: Kalinic, Taylor, Whelan, McGinn, Hourihane, Abraham, Hutton (c), El Ghazi, Elphick, Adomah, Mings.
Subs: Steer, Carroll, Jedinak, Davis, Kodjia, Elmohamady, Hause.

Blackett in at left back

Baker in in place of Bacuna

Harriott and Oliveira start

No Bod anywhere again

Nor Kelly

Nervous about Baker, but that looks the best defence we can field. Glad to Harriott again, his desire to play after so long out is something that I think we need on the pitch more than any concern about talent if I'm honest.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 02 Feb 2019 14:56

Old Man Andrews Looking on Twitter it appears there is a movement to get that poor fella with cancer to walk the team out and have applause on the 10th minute. Really worried that in amongst the good intentions there are people who are just in it for themselves. Has anyone asked the bloke if he wants all this? Might just want to be left alone. Happy to show support in the 10th minute just don't know if it's what the bloke actually wants.

This kind of thing is the cancer in the game I love

I'd boo the little bald-headed fcuker

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 02 Feb 2019 15:11

BR0B0T
Old Man Andrews Looking on Twitter it appears there is a movement to get that poor fella with cancer to walk the team out and have applause on the 10th minute. Really worried that in amongst the good intentions there are people who are just in it for themselves. Has anyone asked the bloke if he wants all this? Might just want to be left alone. Happy to show support in the 10th minute just don't know if it's what the bloke actually wants.

This kind of thing is the cancer in the game I love

I'd boo the little bald-headed fcuker

:shock: :o

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 02 Feb 2019 15:43

How many is that that Oliviera has put over the bar?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 02 Feb 2019 15:58

Martinez looks like someone had given a defender some gloves.

So far I much prefer Jakkola