MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday sponsored by Adrian Popa

123 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Sheffield Wednesday sponsored by Adrian Popa

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2019 14:06

Ascotexgunner
CountryRoyal
Ascotexgunner For me you just have to question whether Swift should be dropped now. He just doesn't seem to tribute enough. I'm getting frustrated that you can see the talent but he just doesn't seem to be able to unleash it. First double clean sheet since Nov 2017 which is a positive......but going forward there's just not enough.

Screw dropped the donkey should be sold or failing that have his contract terminated or sent to play with the U23s. I’m fed up with him casually marauding about. Get rid.

I get the feeling he certainly won't be here next season.

Half a good season in three years? I'd be fine with it if he wasn't and ecstatic if we got good money for him.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2019 14:47

Hendo
Platypuss
URZZZZ As I said weeks ago, we're not going to score goals when our wingers are as uncreative as they are, you can stick Barrow, McCleary, Ejaria, Harriott, whoever there and it'll have the same outcome. An absolutely dreadful game and should have conceded in the last second to a shocking miss. 4 goals in open play now in 9 games, not good enough

Realistically, when do people start questioning Gomes? Obviously no-one is yet, but we're not scoring and we're not really improving after a couple of decent games. Begs the question were we really doing that bad before?

Jesus.

I know, right?

Clement - 0.9 PPG this season
Gomes - 0.875 PPG this season

I know Maths isn't probably your strong suit but 0.9 is greater than 0.875. So, as I said, we haven't improved in terms of results have we?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2019 14:50

URZZZZ
Hendo
Platypuss
Jesus.

I know, right?

I know Maths isn't probably your strong suit but 0.9 is greater than 0.875. So, as I said, we haven't improved in terms of results have we?

You are comparing point averages over Clement`s 23 games to Jose`s 8? jesus.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2019 14:53

windermereROYAL
URZZZZ
Hendo
I know, right?

I'm not trying to make out Gomes is a bad manager, not at all. But people are seriously overrating Gomes so far, and I'm merely pointing out we haven't improved in terms of results, which is the most important thing. To flip the argument, people wanted Clement gone after just 14 games, including the 8 last season where he kept us up

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2019 15:28

URZZZZ
windermereROYAL
URZZZZ

I'm not trying to make out Gomes is a bad manager, not at all. But people are seriously overrating Gomes so far, and I'm merely pointing out we haven't improved in terms of results, which is the most important thing. To flip the argument, people wanted Clement gone after just 14 games, including the 8 last season where he kept us up

We`ve certainly improved defensively. but for a injury time goal we would be looking at 4 consecutive clean sheets while under Clements we only managed 2 in 23 games.
If we can get that cutting edge we can finally get around to enjoying some wins again, havent seen a ugly 1-0 since the end of last season. it hurts us when we need to score at least 2 goals a game to have a chance of winning.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Feb 2019 15:30

URZZZZ
Hendo
Platypuss
Jesus.

I know, right?

Alright, no need to be so condescending :roll:

It was more to the fact that you said when are people going to start questioning Gomes. We’ve had 8 games. Anyone who wants another manager in before the end of the season are those, which personifies, what’s wrong with modern day football.

We’ve made a decision, let it play out.

Also, 0.025 of a point? Works out as 1.2 points over a season. :|

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Feb 2019 15:39

Another poor result but if you aren't going to play a striker what do you expect? Suspect if previous managers had done that there would be hell to pay.

Must win on Wednesday. Let's hope Blackburn are kind enough to let us play "our process" without putting up a fight.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Feb 2019 15:45

“poor result” ?

Yes, in the grand scheme of things the way our season is unfolding

No, in isolation, a good point, as was the Villa one.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Feb 2019 15:48

AthleticoSpizz “poor result” ?

Yes, in the grand scheme of things the way our season is unfolding

All you needed.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2019 15:54

Hendo
URZZZZ
Hendo
I know, right?

It was more to the fact that you said when are people going to start questioning Gomes. We’ve had 8 games. Anyone who wants another manager in before the end of the season are those, which personifies, what’s wrong with modern day football.

That's the point though, managers nowadays are questioned in a very short time period, I was just wondering how long it will take for our fans to turn on him. It's certainly not what I want, chopping and changing managers rarely works, I just think if we lose the next couple, heads might start to turn, that's all

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2019 15:57

windermereROYAL
URZZZZ
windermereROYAL

We`ve certainly improved defensively. but for a injury time goal we would be looking at 4 consecutive clean sheets while under Clements we only managed 2 in 23 games.
If we can get that cutting edge we can finally get around to enjoying some wins again, havent seen a ugly 1-0 since the end of last season. it hurts us when we need to score at least 2 goals a game to have a chance of winning.

Although we scored considerably more under Clement this season so its very much swings and roundabouts.

48% of the goals conceded, 63% of the goals scored. So that is a bit better, but it's not translating into improved results yet.

The we've nearly got some better results under Gomes is a pointless argument, because it applies to Clement just as much (Derby, Blackburn etc etc.), nearly getting a better result doesn't help anyone.

I think the criticism wasn't based on an incorrect belief we've improved under Gomes, but at how stupidly early it is to start asking how long we give him.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Feb 2019 16:26

URZZZZ
Hendo
URZZZZ

I was just wondering how long it will take for our fans to turn on him. It's certainly not what I want

I was just wondering something, too. Do you think bringing it up and trying to compare him in a bad light is going to help his or your cause? If its 'certainly not what you want', why not shut up about it and wait and see?

urzmikep

by urzmikep » 10 Feb 2019 17:26

Not sure if anyone's posted this already, but in the words of Paul Clement its all down to small margins.

Looking at today's table and comparing us against Sheffield Wednesday:

Sheffield Wednesday - Position = 16, Points = 39, Goals For = 34, Goals Against = 45
Reading - Position = 22, Points = 26, Goals For = 32, Goals Against = 44

In Summary Reading have only scored 2 x goals less than Wednesday but have actually conceded 1 x less goal than them, so even though we have very similar goals for & against we're 13 points behind them!!!!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2019 18:51

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Hendo

I was just wondering how long it will take for our fans to turn on him. It's certainly not what I want

I was just wondering something, too. Do you think bringing it up and trying to compare him in a bad light is going to help his or your cause? If its 'certainly not what you want', why not shut up about it and wait and see?

I wouldn't bring it up in the first place if people didn't treat him like a world beater. I'm simply proving we haven't made an improvement in terms of results since he's taken charge. If people didn't bring up every game "this team is much improved" then I wouldn't need to state it, fact is we're still in the bottom three, we're not winning games and we're not scoring goals. End of

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Feb 2019 19:05

If only we had a natural goal scorer on our books...

https://twitter.com/AmericanOutlaws/sta ... 5148679169

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Feb 2019 21:36

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Hendo

Precisely.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Feb 2019 22:50

urzmikep Not sure if anyone's posted this already, but in the words of Paul Clement its all down to small margins.

Sheffield Wednesday - Position = 16, Points = 39, Goals For = 34, Goals Against = 45

In Summary Reading have only scored 2 x goals less than Wednesday but have actually conceded 1 x less goal than them, so even though we have very similar goals for & against we're 13 points behind them!!!!

Yep a good comparison. All season we haven’t been far away. It has been small margins. We are rarely dominated.
We have though forgotten how to grind out a win.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Feb 2019 00:34

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Improving and still the whingers moan.

We need to improve our results, not just people to feel like we might at some point in the future.

Yes, of course. And I said something similar as people expressed their ‘feelings’ toward the end of Clement’s reign. Before he was sacked, we were in or around bottom 3, we’d had 1 win in 7, and people were saying…‘I just feel things are improving, I feel like we may be turning a corner, I feel we are playing better, I feel results will improve going forward, I feel he will/would have kept us up’, etc.
I shared some of those feelings (to an extent), and some I didn’t. Then again, that’s the beauty of a discussion forum, isn’t it? People express their feelings, as well as taking the cold hard results on board.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Feb 2019 08:22

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL Improving and still the whingers moan.

We need to improve our results, not just people to feel like we might at some point in the future.

Yes, of course. And I said something similar as people expressed their ‘feelings’ toward the end of Clement’s reign. Before he was sacked, we were in or around bottom 3, we’d had 1 win in 7, and people were saying…‘I just feel things are improving, I feel like we may be turning a corner, I feel we are playing better, I feel results will improve going forward, I feel he will/would have kept us up’, etc.
I shared some of those feelings (to an extent), and some I didn’t. Then again, that’s the beauty of a discussion forum, isn’t it? People express their feelings, as well as taking the cold hard results on board.

Actually people were pointing to a progression of form to back it up for Clement. It was small and it may have been regressing at the very end but it had been there.

I think it was something like 6 game form went 0.6ppg, 1.4ppg, 1.2 ppg, ??

Gomes is getting an awful lot of credit for his attempts to sort our squad out (rightly so), but other than bring Aluko back into the fold and telling us about it and shifting McNulty, I don't think he's doing a lot Clement wasn't already working on in that regard. The difference is Clement didn't get to the transfer window to implement the outs.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Feb 2019 10:16

urzmikep Not sure if anyone's posted this already, but in the words of Paul Clement its all down to small margins.

thats an interesting stat certainly. We've competed in just about every game this season - maybe except Swansea at home, and the inability to snatch a win or hold on to a 1-0 is why we are where we are

123 posts