Sone Aluko to China!

233 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sone Aluko to China!

by URZZZZ » 07 Nov 2019 10:46

Hound I have, but not particularly due to Urrzzzz this time

Bringing Sone Aluko back up and reminding me he was still a Reading player with 18 months left on his contract contributed to it though

You won’t be saying that when he scores the winner in the playoff final for us...

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Nov 2019 11:45

Hendo I, for one, absolutely h8 all the newfangled position classifications.
I hate the bloody squad numbers too, especially when 1-11 are allocated out of position.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 07 Nov 2019 12:51

Forbury Lion
Hendo I, for one, absolutely h8 all the newfangled position classifications.
I hate the bloody squad numbers too, especially when 1-11 are allocated out of position.

Seems totally arbitrary to me.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Nov 2019 13:08

Having Aluko and Mannone back - be like 2 new signings.....

:wink:

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 07 Nov 2019 17:32

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
Well, from what I recall of Fulham that season, Aluko played very narrow for Fulham (like an attacking midfielder but drifted over to the right side) with the width on the right side coming from the overlapping Fredericks. Factor in Piazon also played a similar role to Aluko I the left hand side and he wasn’t a winger either. Infact even watching Fulham’s first goal against us when they beat us 5-0 illustrates my point

I think a while ago on one particular thread, someone compared the crossing stats between 16/17 and 17/18 which had dramatically fallen since Aluko replaces McCleary/Beerens (natural wingers). And they said on that particular thread that Aluko attempted even less crosses at Fulham than he did for us. So I’m not sure he can be classified as an out and out winger personally

Naturally though, we couldn’t emulate Fulham’s style with the width coming from the fullbacks because we had Gunter at right back who was no where near as effective as Fredericks going forward

I think you'll find Floyd Ayite played most their games that season playing at Left Wing and Piazon replaced him that season during injury. Tom Cairney central with 2 wingers.

If I could find the thread I was looking for, I could show you what I mean. But I remember it showing Aluko attempting a pitiful amount of crosses at Fulham. Surely, as a winger, the main objective is crossing the ball in the box?

Another thing. Under Stam and Clement, Aluko was hopeless. You can agree with that, right? They played with width. When Gomes came in, he changed from a wide formation to a narrow one (actually a formation like Fulham’s that season). And Aluko started to play better. Because the emphasis on him wasn’t to hug the touch line and cross the ball in. Yiadom was able to do that because he was better offensively than Gunter was

Ejaria played the role on the right of the three attacking midfielders when he first came in. He’s not a winger is he?

I assume you are referring to this post from the "2017/18 What went wrong?" thread (RIPIP the charts, although none were at player level so less relevant here). Selected Aluko rel8d bits below:
• Key passes per 90 mins fell across all positions[vs 2016/17], with total Key Passes per game falling by a quarter- from 10.1 to 7.4 per game. The major fall was Key Passes from wingers, with Barrow surprisingly only offering 1.0 key passes per 90mins compared with Beerans’ 1.4 last season, and Aluko making 1.2 (the same as in his previous season with Fulham) compared to GMac’s 2.3 in 2016/17.
• As for wingers, Aluko’s 4.4 crosses per 90 (1.1 or 25% ‘accurate’) falls below GMac’s 6.7 (1.9 or 28% ‘accurate’) – while this is consistent with the “for o*ford sake Aluko, stop drifting inside” argument, it should be noted that he crossed the ball 57% more this season than he did last season at Fulham (2.8 per 90, of which 0.6 or 21% accurate). On the other wing Barrow offered 2.9 crosses a game (0.5 or 17% ‘accurate’), well below Beeren’s 6.1(!) per 90 (1.0 or 16% accurate).
Aluko appears a very odd signing as a right wing replacement to GMac – it’s possible he wasn’t intended to be like for like replacement (we probably didn’t expect GMac to miss the vast majority of the season), but as a right winger he offered fewer shots, key passes and crosses than GMac did last season. In terms of crosses, he performed better this season than he did in his last season at Fulham, suggesting he simply isn’t suited to the role he played this season/GMac played last season. If he was genuinely signed for that role to compete with GMac then I believe it was a terrible decision to sign him– his history has suggested he doesn’t cross the ball often, and when he does it’s not especially well compared with others. Alongside that, his shots per game have halved compared with last season so perhaps he spent too much time out wide and should have been instructed to play more in line with his (apparent) strengths…

IMO he was a player who had one good season in a system that got the best out of him that we massively overpaid for, seemingly without a clear role for him. That said, who knows whether Bowen could get something useful from him

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 07 Nov 2019 18:41

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... e-17220283

quotes Bowen as saying

"... with Aluko - he's had his time in China but unfortunately for him I haven't seen a lot of him playing. I've got my group now which I am more or less happy with.

"That's football and it can change but here and now they are my thoughts on them."

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Nov 2019 20:08

Brain Traysers
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth I think you'll find Floyd Ayite played most their games that season playing at Left Wing and Piazon replaced him that season during injury. Tom Cairney central with 2 wingers.

If I could find the thread I was looking for, I could show you what I mean. But I remember it showing Aluko attempting a pitiful amount of crosses at Fulham. Surely, as a winger, the main objective is crossing the ball in the box?

Another thing. Under Stam and Clement, Aluko was hopeless. You can agree with that, right? They played with width. When Gomes came in, he changed from a wide formation to a narrow one (actually a formation like Fulham’s that season). And Aluko started to play better. Because the emphasis on him wasn’t to hug the touch line and cross the ball in. Yiadom was able to do that because he was better offensively than Gunter was

Ejaria played the role on the right of the three attacking midfielders when he first came in. He’s not a winger is he?

I assume you are referring to this post from the "2017/18 What went wrong?" thread (RIPIP the charts, although none were at player level so less relevant here). Selected Aluko rel8d bits below:
• Key passes per 90 mins fell across all positions[vs 2016/17], with total Key Passes per game falling by a quarter- from 10.1 to 7.4 per game. The major fall was Key Passes from wingers, with Barrow surprisingly only offering 1.0 key passes per 90mins compared with Beerans’ 1.4 last season, and Aluko making 1.2 (the same as in his previous season with Fulham) compared to GMac’s 2.3 in 2016/17.
• As for wingers, Aluko’s 4.4 crosses per 90 (1.1 or 25% ‘accurate’) falls below GMac’s 6.7 (1.9 or 28% ‘accurate’) – while this is consistent with the “for o*ford sake Aluko, stop drifting inside” argument, it should be noted that he crossed the ball 57% more this season than he did last season at Fulham (2.8 per 90, of which 0.6 or 21% accurate). On the other wing Barrow offered 2.9 crosses a game (0.5 or 17% ‘accurate’), well below Beeren’s 6.1(!) per 90 (1.0 or 16% accurate).
Aluko appears a very odd signing as a right wing replacement to GMac – it’s possible he wasn’t intended to be like for like replacement (we probably didn’t expect GMac to miss the vast majority of the season), but as a right winger he offered fewer shots, key passes and crosses than GMac did last season. In terms of crosses, he performed better this season than he did in his last season at Fulham, suggesting he simply isn’t suited to the role he played this season/GMac played last season. If he was genuinely signed for that role to compete with GMac then I believe it was a terrible decision to sign him– his history has suggested he doesn’t cross the ball often, and when he does it’s not especially well compared with others. Alongside that, his shots per game have halved compared with last season so perhaps he spent too much time out wide and should have been instructed to play more in line with his (apparent) strengths…

IMO he was a player who had one good season in a system that got the best out of him that we massively overpaid for, seemingly without a clear role for him. That said, who knows whether Bowen could get something useful from him

That was it, twas a good post

Basically, all was trying to say was I'm not sure any "natural" winger would average 2.8 crosses per 90 through an entire season. So why we signed him to play as the main winger, who knows. I just always found people's reaction to him over the top. It isn't his fault that he's not being played correctly

I know it was a pretty long time ago now but changing our two wingers before and after the playoff season was one of the biggest mistakes we made

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Nov 2019 20:52

Well yeah. Though McCleary was physical a mess at that point. Beerens an odd one - I think destined to be looked back on more fondly than he was at the time. A massive Part if that play off season though, esp 1st half of the season

Barrow should have been able to replace one of them. Other major problem is they had no consistent target to aim for with Yann injured

I just don’t think Aluko was really any good. Just not a very good player. Flattered by Fulham’s style. A really poor signing and not surprisingly at his fee singled out as a major mistake and a focal point of criticism

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Nov 2019 21:03

Hound Well yeah. Though McCleary was physical a mess at that point. Beerens an odd one - I think destined to be looked back on more fondly than he was at the time. A massive Part if that play off season though, esp 1st half of the season

Barrow should have been able to replace one of them. Other major problem is they had no consistent target to aim for with Yann injured

I just don’t think Aluko was really any good. Just not a very good player. Flattered by Fulham’s style. A really poor signing and not surprisingly at his fee singled out as a major mistake and a focal point of criticism

The problem was we had no other wingers in the first season so really the only way we could drop either Beerens or McCleary was changing to a 5 at the back which I don’t think was that effective for us that season

Had we had had Barrow as an impact player in the first season, I think he could have made a huge difference when the other two were having off games (because let’s be honest, most wingers are inconsistent). I never particularly rated Barrow as a starter, didn’t think his attitude was good enough and I think he disrupted the balance of the team. But would have been a really good impact player

I wonder if Stam could rewind back to the summer of 2017 whether he’d have changed his whole approach and gone for Nelson instead. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

But we move on and frankly, I’m as optimistic as I have been for a while and I think we can really push on. Which is why bad memories in one of our worst periods for a while (Mannone, Aluko etc) wouldn’t be ideal

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 07 Nov 2019 22:33

morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-transfers-aluko-mannone-17220283

quotes Bowen as saying

"... with Aluko - he's had his time in China but unfortunately for him I haven't seen a lot of him playing. I've got my group now which I am more or less happy with.

"That's football and it can change but here and now they are my thoughts on them."

"more or less happy with"

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Nov 2019 08:35

72 bus
morganb https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/reading-fc-transfers-aluko-mannone-17220283

quotes Bowen as saying

I am sure every manager thinks their squad can be improved. Not really anything to write home about.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Nov 2019 08:41

Guessing he had some input into the signings over the summer though, so can't see him wanting a radical overhaul even if he could

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Nov 2019 08:46

No, no, not at all.

Just one or two players here and there. Maybe another CB or RB, just for cover.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Nov 2019 08:53

A lot depends on who leaves in Jan. I will be honest and say if Fenerbahce come in and offer £10m for Puscas lets take it and reinvest it in a very good Championship level winger and another striker.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Nov 2019 08:58

URZZZZ
Hound Well yeah. Though McCleary was physical a mess at that point. Beerens an odd one - I think destined to be looked back on more fondly than he was at the time. A massive Part if that play off season though, esp 1st half of the season

The problem was we had no other wingers in the first season so really the only way we could drop either Beerens or McCleary was changing to a 5 at the back which I don’t think was that effective for us that season

Had we had had Barrow as an impact player in the first season, I think he could have made a huge difference when the other two were having off games (because let’s be honest, most wingers are inconsistent). I never particularly rated Barrow as a starter, didn’t think his attitude was good enough and I think he disrupted the balance of the team. But would have been a really good impact player

I wonder if Stam could rewind back to the summer of 2017 whether he’d have changed his whole approach and gone for Nelson instead. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

But we move on and frankly, I’m as optimistic as I have been for a while and I think we can really push on. Which is why bad memories in one of our worst periods for a while (Mannone, Aluko etc) wouldn’t be ideal

Out of his hands wasn't it? Stam wanted Oliveira but the club understandably didn't want to meet Norwich's asking price. I'm sure there was another player we were in for (buggered if I can remember who it was mind) which once again fell through.

At the time the fans were getting restless with the usual accusations of us being linked with players "we had no intention of signing" then lo and behold Aluko suddenly appears on the radar and we've spunked a shedload of money on a player that didn't really fit any requirement we had.

Similiarly this off-season if we'd had the money at the time we could have had Oliveira again for a fraction of the cost of Joao.

Oh and Aluko is not a winger ;-)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Nov 2019 09:04

I wouldn't write Joao off at all yet.

Hugill was the other we were very strongly linked with, and I think made a bid for, I think he'd have done a good job

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Nov 2019 09:46

Hound I wouldn't write Joao off at all yet.

Hugill was the other we were very strongly linked with, and I think made a bid for, I think he'd have done a good job

I'm not necessarily writing him off just saying that had we got Oliveira then Joao probably wouldn't be here at what is a pretty big gamble

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Nov 2019 10:18

Hound I wouldn't write Joao off at all yet.

Dobt rate Hugill at all. Glad we didnt get him.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Nov 2019 10:20

Hendo
72 bus

quotes Bowen as saying

I am sure every manager thinks their squad can be improved. Not really anything to write home about.

There is certainly an overhaul still needed in a way. Defence is fine but we have too many GKs, not quite enough CMs and too many strikers. We're still not quite balanced.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Nov 2019 11:24

Vision
URZZZZ

Out of his hands wasn't it? Stam wanted Oliveira but the club understandably didn't want to meet Norwich's asking price. I'm sure there was another player we were in for (buggered if I can remember who it was mind) which once again fell through.

At the time the fans were getting restless with the usual accusations of us being linked with players "we had no intention of signing" then lo and behold Aluko suddenly appears on the radar and we've spunked a shedload of money on a player that didn't really fit any requirement we had.

Similiarly this off-season if we'd had the money at the time we could have had Oliveira again for a fraction of the cost of Joao.

Oh and Aluko is not a winger ;-)

You know it :wink:

I thought Oliveira was approx the same cost as Aluko and it was a case of one or the other. Must admit, I’ve never properly caught up with the financial side of football because there’s so many conflicting reports but I thought that was the general gist of it

233 posts