Rinhomota

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rinhomota

by Hoop Blah » 18 Feb 2019 16:58

Hound they haven't ignored it. Just one was rubbish (Meyler), and one has been injured since October. Rino was fitting in nicely til injured

They ignored it in the transfer window by getting rid of the ineffective and unwanted but leaving us with one viable option for the role.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Feb 2019 17:01

Hoop Blah
Hound they haven't ignored it. Just one was rubbish (Meyler), and one has been injured since October. Rino was fitting in nicely til injured

They ignored it in the transfer window by getting rid of the ineffective and unwanted but leaving us with one viable option for the role.

Would say Eza, Rino and Kelly can all do the role.

In agreement I'd rather have bought in another solid CM than Baker/Ejaria though. Esp once they knew Bacuna was on his way

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 18 Feb 2019 17:06

If they are not going to get a free agent. I would probably go with a back 5 with Miazga, O’Shea and Moore. But on the agreement they rotate to move the ball forward and pass on.

I would also look to play one cm possibly baker with Meite in front as acm, wings of Mccleary and Harriott if not injured then nelson in the middle.

I know it leaves the centre of the park a bit weak. And this would mean a counter attacking game of long balls and hold up play.

About the only thing I can think of with the options available

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 18 Feb 2019 17:11

Hound
Hoop Blah

In agreement I'd rather have bought in another solid CM than Baker/Ejaria though. Esp once they knew Bacuna was on his way

Kelly? Have you not watched any games for the last 2 seasons?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Feb 2019 17:51

I didn’t say he was good at it

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Feb 2019 18:04

Gomes confirms Eza is no nearer coming back. but he`s not part of his plans. so bloody lacking in back bone at DM.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 18:08

Heh, if you don't have to be good at it to fill a role, we could recall Meyler or Van Den Berg, who do at least actually play the position. I'd prolly take either of those two over Kelly at DM against Rovrum. (Kelly is injured anyway?)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Feb 2019 18:23

Denver Royal
Maneki Neko blackett is the best option imo
hes been better this season error wise, and id still prefer an error in midfield than the defence.
hes got a bit of everything you need tbf, athletic, can pass, and defend

Yeah, pretty much any lineup for Sat could be criticized (and will be, esp by people who don't submit their own).
We really are in dire straits, so in the circumstances, Blackett is not a bad shout, Wendy. I guess I could buy that.
Would like more height on Sat, imo. Their stoppage time headed equalizer against us at their place is still in my mind. Incorporating your Blackett suggestion, and going with back 3, how about this?:

.........................Martinez

..........Miazga.....O'Shea.....Moore

Yiadom.............Blackett................Ejaria

..............................Swift
Bodvarsson...................................Barrow
............................Oliveira

SUBS:
Meite
Richards
McCleary
Baker
Gunter
McShane
Jaak

Richards on for Eja (or Barrow).
Meite on for Bod.
McCleary/Baker on for someone.

Five or six very bold selections there Denver. Individually you could maybe make a case for them, but combined I think it starts to look like nonsense. Why, for example, play a midfielder at left back if you have a left back in midfield?

Assuming Baker and Swift are our only fit senior midfielders, I'd go with something like this:

4-1-4-1: Martinez; Yiadom, Miazaga, Moore, Blackett; Holmes; McCleary, Swift, Baker, Harriott; Oliviera
Subs: Jaakola, Richards, Gunter, East, Barrow, Meite, Bod

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 18:30

SCIAG
Denver Royal
Maneki Neko blackett is the best option imo
hes been better this season error wise, and id still prefer an error in midfield than the defence.
hes got a bit of everything you need tbf, athletic, can pass, and defend

Yeah, pretty much any lineup for Sat could be criticized (and will be, esp by people who don't submit their own).
We really are in dire straits, so in the circumstances, Blackett is not a bad shout, Wendy. I guess I could buy that.
Would like more height on Sat, imo. Their stoppage time headed equalizer against us at their place is still in my mind. Incorporating your Blackett suggestion, and going with back 3, how about this?:

.........................Martinez

..........Miazga.....O'Shea.....Moore

Yiadom.............Blackett................Ejaria

..............................Swift
Bodvarsson...................................Barrow
............................Oliveira

SUBS:
Meite
Richards
McCleary
Baker
Gunter
McShane
Jaak

Richards on for Eja (or Barrow).
Meite on for Bod.
McCleary/Baker on for someone.

Five or six very bold selections there Denver. Individually you could maybe make a case for them, but combined I think it starts to look like nonsense. Why, for example, play a midfielder at left back if you have a left back in midfield?

Assuming Baker and Swift are our only fit senior midfielders, I'd go with something like this:

4-1-4-1: Martinez; Yiadom, Miazaga, Moore, Blackett; Holmes; McCleary, Swift, Baker, Harriott; Oliviera
Subs: Jaakola, Richards, Gunter, East, Barrow, Meite, Bod

Yeah, wouldn't necessarily be my lineup. But as you saw, some folks (Wendy, etc) want Blackett at DM on Sat, so was thinking of ways to incorporate that, and threw it out there. Of course, if you don't want Blackett at DM, it would be a non-starter for you. I was clear it was Back 3, so Eja would be wing-back, not LB. As you know, there's a difference. Also said could sub in Richards for Eja at wing-back if you want. There's prolly other permutations with Blackett DM i.e Richards LB in back 4. Holmes may be good shout, Gomez hinted at bringing someone up. Anyway...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 18 Feb 2019 19:15, edited 4 times in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 18:38

Hound
Hoop Blah

Eza and Rino yes, Kelly not without one of the others IMO. But yeah.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Feb 2019 18:46

Any chance we could spell his name right? I don't want Rinomhota to become the new Ilori or McCleary

(or, if you prefer, Rinhomota to become the new Llori or McLeary)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Feb 2019 19:07

Hound
Hoop Blah

I’d say that’s rather naive I’m afraid, although that’s possibly the (incorrect) view the club took as well.

Kelly can play a deeper role, but he’s too lightweight and lacks the defensive instincts to play the role we’re talking about.

Eza may well be the player we need, but he’s played 4 games in 5 and a half months. He’s a gamble at best and the club should’ve been well aware of the likelihood that he wouldn’t make much of a contribution. At worst they should’ve had cover/contingency in place if he didn’t.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 Feb 2019 19:17

windermereROYAL Gomes confirms Eza is no nearer coming back. but he`s not part of his plans. so bloody lacking in back bone at DM.

Until he comes back, plays well in some reserve-type games, and then makes the subs bench for us on a Sat, he's not really in my thoughts much. There's only a dozen games left anyway, so starting to think he'll be out for season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 Feb 2019 19:25

I thought Kelly played really well in the deeper role a few times earlier this season. Actually think he's better "deep" than Rinomhota. But he does need someone pressing up the pitch and breaking things up, like Kante and Jorginho or Gattuso and Pirlo.

MM

by MM » 18 Feb 2019 19:33

I believe Gomes may see Ryan East as the best option for this role given the injuries, and expect him to at least be in the 18 this weekend.

I totally understand that taking that sum for Bacuna was good financial business, but the fact that nobody else is able to play the position is probably the reason our survival chances are very precarious right now. Whilst Rino was impressive when he made it in to the team, he wasn't a holding/defensive midfield player. His quality was his energy, drive and speed. Rino himself struggled when Bacuna left, as the holding role wasn't what he had excelled at. It's a shame that Ezatolahi has been injured for so long, as he was definitely up to it - we've just had bad luck with him.

As to the other options, Baker and Ejaria are too weak and not astute enough to play that deeper role, as are Swift and Kelly. Personally, I thought the signings of Baker and Ejaria were odd and pointless anyway, and nothing has changed that view. I just see them as two more 'fancy dan' types who don't actually do or offer anything that we are missing (or offer anything that we need). On the positive side, the signings of Martinez, Miazga and Oliveira were absolutely the best we could attract, and the club deserve praise for those deals.

With the comments Gomes made after the game on Saturday, he's trying to divert attention away from what's obviously the weakest part of this pretty weak side. I don't believe he is naive enough not to have noticed there is no person to perform this role, and IMHO this could be the deciding factor that turns a poor team in to a relegated team.

By the way, anyone that thinks Joey wouldn't have done a better job in this particular role than anyone we currently have available is seriously flawed. And Norwood would have been even better there of course.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Feb 2019 19:39

MM I believe Gomes may see Ryan East as the best option for this role given the injuries, and expect him to at least be in the 18 this weekend.

I totally understand that taking that sum for Bacuna was good financial business, but the fact that nobody else is able to play the position is probably the reason our survival chances are very precarious right now. Whilst Rino was impressive when he made it in to the team, he wasn't a holding/defensive midfield player. His quality was his energy, drive and speed. Rino himself struggled when Bacuna left, as the holding role wasn't what he had excelled at. It's a shame that Ezatolahi has been injured for so long, as he was definitely up to it - we've just had bad luck with him.

As to the other options, Baker and Ejaria are too weak and not astute enough to play that deeper role, as are Swift and Kelly. Personally, I thought the signings of Baker and Ejaria were odd and pointless anyway, and nothing has changed that view. I just see them as two more 'fancy dan' types who don't actually do or offer anything that we are missing (or offer anything that we need). On the positive side, the signings of Martinez, Miazga and Oliveira were absolutely the best we could attract, and the club deserve praise for those deals.

With the comments Gomes made after the game on Saturday, he's trying to divert attention away from what's obviously the weakest part of this pretty weak side. I don't believe he is naive enough not to have noticed there is no person to perform this role, and IMHO this could be the deciding factor that turns a poor team in to a relegated team.

By the way, anyone that thinks Joey wouldn't have done a better job in this particular role than anyone we currently have available is seriously flawed. And Norwood would have been even better there of course.

I like you.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Feb 2019 19:59

windermereROYAL Gomes confirms Eza is no nearer coming back. but he`s not part of his plans. so bloody lacking in back bone at DM.

We should have ended Ezatolahi’s loan last month and brought in another CDM on loan instead of either Baker or Ejaria.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 18 Feb 2019 20:03

So we come to the crunch game of the season with no CDM. How stupid is that? The club knew Ezatolahi was still going to be out for a good while. So any injury to Rinomhota was always going to leave us in this position.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Feb 2019 20:05

Denver Royal Btw, Rovrum aren't 'utter dogshite', either. Or at least, they haven't been lately. They've lost 1 game in 5 (2-1 to Leeds, on last min winner). They are unbeaten in their last 4 games, they have same points as we have, have lost less games than we have, and have scored the same number of goals. They will be well up for this.

They battered Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday, and were unlucky not to win.

They are a rather limited side though, to put it mildly, but will do what they can to make the game a physical battle, and will no doubt try to press us into making mistakes.

Whatever division we are in next season, and whichever players we keep, we really need to look at why we get so many injuries. I've never known it to be like it has been over the last couple of seasons.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Feb 2019 20:31

Hoop Blah
Hound
Hoop Blah

I’d say that’s rather naive I’m afraid, although that’s possibly the (incorrect) view the club took as well.

I’m trying to look at it from the clubs point of view. If you read my posts (fully understand if you didn’t), I don’t rate Kelly at all. I’m one of his biggest critics on here rightly or wrongly. But he has played the DM role.

The Ezatolahi situation is a little strange. He really should have been back months ago, and we know he is still there. I do wonder if there was a complication or he re-did the injury. 5 months with a muscle injury is a hell of a lot